Anyone know of a licensed honest real estate attorney local to Samana?

I am trying to sell a property in Samana and need a licensed honest real estate Attorney with experience local to Samana.

I don't think there's any such thing as a "licensed" real estate agent in the DR.

RE in the DR is very much the Wild, Wild West. No rules, few laws, little enforcement of even those laws. It is buyer beware.

Your best bet may be to locate a major US-branded RE agency doing business in the DR.

As a personal recommendation, we've found Denise Bess (who appeared on HGTV programs) to be honest and straightforward.  A simple google search for "Denise Bess Dominican Republic" will find her.  (Please tell her I sent you.)

• You might also consider starting by finding the right DR lawyer to handle your real estate transactions.  A great lawyer who does their job well is probably even more important than finding the right agent.  Find that lawyer

You might also read historic posts by DominicanadaMike here on Expat.com.

• As a long-time expat living in the DR, Mike has an EXCELLENT grasp of DR RE and the legal hurdles to be negotiated in buying real estate here, and lays things out clearly.  He speaks from extensive personal experience, being a long-time investor and landlord here himself.

One last caveat: We were in the market ourselves in 2022, but a Feb-March 2022 tour of the North and East Coasts led us to reconsider our plans. We believe the RE markets have gone up too far, too fast, and like the US and Canada right now, will soon see a retrenchment on prices. Patience may be the best RE strategy at the moment -- it's certainly the one we've adopted.

• Others, however, view the current market as their "last chance" to get beachfront properties at affordable prices. 
  • You need to make your own informed assessment. Your mileage may vary.

Best wishes

Jim

ExpatRusher

There is no such thing as a licensed realtor here.  There are no standards. Anyone can decide today they are a realtor. No training. No standards. No rules. No licenses. No ethical requirements.

Buyer beware.

There are good, professional realtors.  I don't know any in that area.

Liz Garrido is an excellent realtor and lives in Samana.  She speaks English and is Venezuelan.  PM me for contact info.

Everyone seems to be posting agents, but she is actually looking for a lawyer.

Good catch!!!!!  Darn you are good.

I don't know a good real estate lawyer in that area!  Heck I barely know good lawyers period!

Guzman Ariza has an office in Samana. They are one of the largest and most highly respected law firms in DR. They are not cheap, but we've never had any issues with any of the legal and real estate matters they have handled for us.

Guzman Ariza has an office in Samana. They are one of the largest and most highly respected law firms in DR. They are not cheap, but we've never had any issues with any of the legal and real estate matters they have handled for us.
-@ddmcghee

What kind of cost structure do they use? Hourly/flat/retainer for real estate operation and business consulting ?

I have no idea about business consulting. And we haven't purchased real estate since 2019, so the info I have might be outdated. For our three purchases between 2017 and 2019, it was a flat fee for each purchase.

I'm not sure your lawyer needs to be local....  the notary=Yes

@ddmcghee I also hear they are one the ball, look at the website, they handle a lot of big companies. We are using them in Cabrera but haven't been in the office as of yet, Thursday is our day!

@Zug engage them, you get a free consultation to ask questions!

Hi @Zug! I hope all is well. Would you be able to further elaborate on what it is that you need assistance with? I might be able to provide the guidance that you need or refer you to a trusted colleague.

Hi @Zug! I hope all is well. Would you be able to further elaborate on what it is that you need assistance with? I might be able to provide the guidance that you need or refer you to a trusted colleague.
-@Rocio Henriquez

The OP is an agent working for what is supposed to be a professional company. with "Over 20 Years in the Real estate field Working with Buyers AND SellerS" (sic)

If they have to ask on a forum to find someone within their own industry, one has to question how useful they are at their trade.

I have to admit to my opinion that the vast majority of these agents are low life liars with a set of morals most rapists, people who murder grandmothers, and even lawyers would vomit at.

Threads like this do nothing to make me think I'm wrong - Still, perhaps I'm wrong and the thread is really a person working for a very experienced company that has been working in a country for many years without using legal advice of any sort, but my dim view of these people makes me suspect they're really up to something such as dodgy advertising or something of that nature.

Are we really supposed to believe a company active in DR for 20 years can't find someone in its own trade without posting on a forum?

Hello everyone,

Please note that I am closing this thread. Professionals who offer their services in Dominican Republic should register their services in the Dominican Republic business directory or get in touch with our marketing team for tailor-made solutions : https://www.expat.com/en/advertisement.html

Advertising is not welcome in any form on the forum. The OP is indeed a real estate agency offering property for sale in DR.

All the best

Bhavna

[Topic Closed]

Closed