2013-12-23 07:18:46

Some products such as alcoholic beverages, cigarettes and cigars, as well as food in small quantities can be imported to Argentina free of duty.

Before traveling to Argentina, you are required to seek information on products which can be imported free of duty and those which are banned.

You will inevitably transit through the customs department at your arrival in Argentina. Before traveling, you should seek information in objects and products which are authorized in the country as well as those which are exempt from customs duty. Some products and items are exempted from tax when imported in small quantities. You will also have to declare your foreign or local currency.

Before boarding, complete a customs declaration form which will be provided by your carrier. Otherwise, you can request for it with the Argentine authorities.

Duty free

You are allowed to import the following products if you are traveling to Argentina from Europe or other continents country:

  • 2 liters of alcoholic beverages
  • 400 cigarettes
  • 50 cigars
  • 5 pounds of food

If you are traveling from neighboring countries such as Brazil, Bolivia , Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay, you are allowed to import the following products:

  • 1 liter of liquor
  • 200 cigarettes
  • 25 cigars
  • 2 pounds of food

Products and items prohibited

  • Firearms and ammunition (unless you have the necessary permissions )
  • Explosives
  • Knives and deadly sharp weapons
  • Illicit drugs
  • New computers and television sets
  • Meat or meat products (sausages, ham... )
  • Trees, plants and plant products
  • Counterfeit bank notes
  • Pornography materials

Duty products

An additional fee of some $ 300 is deducted for products or items purchased in duty-free shops located in ports or airports. Goods purchased in other duty-free shops are considered in the original franchise. The value of these products shall be established by the customs officer.


There is no restriction on the amount of local currency, that is the Argentine pesos. However, foreign currency equal to or more than $ 10,000, or the equivalent in other currencies have to be declared to customs. Gold must also be declared.

If you are between 16 and 21 years old, you must declare your foreign currency if the sum amounts to $ 2,000 or the equivalent in other currency. If you are less than 16 years old, you must report your foreign currency if it is equal to $ 1,000 or the equivalent in other currency.

 Useful links:

Federal Administration of Argentina www.afip.gob.ar
IATA www.iatatravelcentre.com

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.