Follow all our news on Facebook!

Living in Singapore guide

Find out all you need to know to relocate and live in Singapore with the expat guide

Write an article


General information
  • Singapore is a country which attracts thousands of expatriates every year, due to its rapid economic development, political and cultural stability.

    Article written by
  • What's the weather like in Singapore? This article gives you the good news and the bad news.

    Article written by bry


Visas, passports and entry requirements
  • Citizens of several countries do not need a visa to travel to Singapore provided they are going to stay for less than 90 days.

    Article written by
  • There are different procedures to get married in Singapore, depending on both your and your spouses residency statuses.

    Article written by


Work visas, work permits, working holiday visas and residence permits
  • New guide "Work visas in Singapore", please replace the old (and outdated) one with this!

    Article written by beppi
  • You will need a professional visa to be able to work in Singapore. You can choose among different types of Employment Passes, work permits and the Working Holiday Visa (WHV). You will also need a sponsor who will take care of all formalities on your behalf.

    Article written by


Labour market, how to find a job
  • Singapore's labour market is quite open to expatriates. Note that there is no minimum wage in Singapore.

    Article written by
  • Setting up a business in Singapore generally requires a capital of about S$ 50 000. You should also apply for a professional visa or an investor visa.

    Article written by
  • It is not difficult to find a job in Singapore. You can check out classified ads in local newspapers, job websites, hiring agencies, and even rely on word-

    Article written by
  • If you wish to do an internship in Singapore, you must first find a sponsor. Once you have received an internship offer, you can apply for an internship vi

    Article written by
  • An employment pass is valid for a year, sometimes longer. In cases where the work run-time is pushed forward or extended, you're required to extend your EP too. This used to be quite a tedious process. However, not so long ago, the Ministry of Manpower greatly streamlined the process.

    Article written by bry


How to rent a house or an apartment, leases and rental agreements
  • Various types of accommodation are available in Singapore. If you intend to settle there, you can choose between renting a house, an apartment or a condominium. You can also opt for room-sharing if you are on a short stay. Generally, rent agreements have two years' duration.

    Article written by


Student visa, University registration
  • Singapore attracts thousands of students from across the globe every year. It has numerous prestigious universities which offer international level courses. To to able to study in the country, you have to obtain a student pass.

    Article written by
  • Education for childrens. Information to help expats working in Singapore choosing school for their kids.

    Article written by jaiveer

Health care

Public and private health systems
  • Singapore has numerous private and public hospitals, as well as clinics. Health care services which are offered are deemed to be excellent, meeting international standards. It is, however, recommended to subscribe to a health insurance.

    Article written by


Open and manage a bank account
  • It is not difficult to open a bank account in Singapore. Go to any branch of the bank of your choice with your identification documents. You will also have to produce a statement of account from your home bank as well as your employment pass.

    Article written by


Tax system, income tax
  • Income tax is deducted at the source in Singapore. You will have to pay a maximum rate of 20% if you are a resident of the country. You will have to fill in an online tax return at the end of each fiscal year. Other taxes such as corporate tax and valued added tax (VAT) also exist in the country.

    Article written by


Train, bus, plane, car rental
  • Several means of transport are available in Singapore: aircraft, bus, metro, taxi and car rental. Fares are rather affordable.

    Article written by

Driver's licence

Driving requirements
  • To be able to drive in Singapore, you will need an international driver's license which is valid for one year. If you intend to stay for more than a year in the country, you will have to apply for a national driver's license with the traffic police.

    Article written by


moving, formalities and useful tips
  • You are advised to hire an international removal specialist to help you move your belongings to Singapore. The latter will take care of necessary formalities on your behalf. Make sure to make a list of your belongings and subscribe to an insurance before signing the related documents.

    Article written by


Phone line, internet provider, post office
  • To stay in touch with family and friends from Singapore, you can choose between fixed and mobile telephony. Packages offered are rather interesting.

    Article written by
  • The various internet providers in Singapore offer several types of service: narrowband, broadband and wireless connection at competitive rates.

    Article written by


Sports, leisure and cultural activities
  • You can enjoy your stay in Singapore by exploring its various cultural riches and historical landscapes. The country has much to offer to expatriates.

    Article written by
  • One of the most often-heard gripes by expats in Singapore, especially amongst those who recently returned after a few years' stint elsewhere, is about how quickly the country appears to have become over-crowded.

    Article written by bry
  • You can easily access to different kinds of sports in Singapore such as football, volleyball, basketball, squash, table tennis or martial arts, etc.

    Article written by
  • The Singaporean child care system is quite developed. All institutions are licensed by the Early Childhood Development Agency.

    Article written by
  • To travel to Singapore, your pet must have a vaccination certificate against rabies and an import license from the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority.

    Article written by
  • All goods and products imported to Singapore are subject to tax. You will have to fill in a tax declaration form at your arrival at the airport.

    Article written by
  • I am a 34 yr. old American female. I moved here with my husband 5 months ago when his company transferred him. My husband is a Spanish citizen. We are both journalists and had lived and worked in Washington DC for the past decade.

    Article written by newsgirl

Expatriate health insurance in Singapore

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Singapore

Moving to Singapore

Find tips from professionals about moving to Singapore

Travel insurance in Singapore

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Singapore

Flights to Singapore

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Singapore