Ending an apartment rental agreement in Brussels

Hello

I am currently residing in an apartment with a 9 year contract in Brussels. It has been just 4 months since I entered the apartment. According to rental agreement I need to give notice to the landlord 3 months before evacuating the apartment and pay 3 months of rental payment to get out this year.

The institution I work offered me an apartment now with excellent conditions. But the issue is they ask me to move in just 3 weeks. So I cannot fulfill this three months early notice condition. What can I do? What would happen if I moved without respecting to this 3 months early notice? The contract does not specify this.

Thanks in advance for your answers and help.

Best

Like with any contract you can be sued and taken to court to get the money owed.

You can find someone to take over your contract, or you could contact the landlord and see if you can come to some arrangement.

Good luck

I understand what you mean. Actually this is not what I mean. In the contract it says you should give notice at least 3 months before breaking the contract. In this case you pay 3 months rent. I have no problem with that. The problem is that I cannot respect those 3 months. In this case will I have to pay more for breaking the rule of three months notice stipulation. For that nothing has been specified in the contract.

Make a deal with your landlord by giving him 5 or 6 months of rental. Logically he will agree to let you go immediatly.

Or find someone who will take your place.

Is there a quick way to find someone to take over the apartment?

You can place a FREE advert in the housing section at the top of the page.

https://www.immoweb.be/en/

Thank you for your answers. I really appreciate it.

Yesterday I went to a real estate agency. He said your contract should be registered to the authorities in two months time. If not, you do not have to pay any penalties. I went to the authorities and saw that there are two months and five days between the signature date and registration date.  So it has been registered late. In the contract it reads: Le Preneur peut mettre fin au bail à tout moment, moyennant un congé de trois mois, et le paiement d'une indemnité égale à trois mois, deux mois ou un mois de loyer selon que le bail prend fin au cours de la 1ère, de la 2ème ou de la 3ème année. L'indemnité de relocation ne sera pas due si le bien est reloué aux conditions en cours à un tiers, préalablement accepté par les propriétaires.

Après la période de deux mois instituée par la loi pour l'enregistrement d'un bail exclusivement affecté à un logement, et aussi longtemps que cette convention n'est pas enregistrée, tant ce délai de congé que cette indemnité ne sont pas d'application.

And in the annex of the contract where the relevant laws are found there is a clause as :

Enregistrement ».
L'enregistrement des contrats de bail, sous-location ou cession de bail de biens immeubles ou parties de biens immeubles exclusivement affectés au logement d'une famille ou d'une personne seule est gratuit et doit avoir lieu dans les deux mois de la conclusion du contrat. Si le bail n'a pas été enregistré dans ce délai, le bailleur peut se voir infliger une amende. De plus, s'il s'agit d'un bail de 9 ans, la règle selon laquelle le preneur peut résilier ce bail sans observer de délai de préavis et sans verser d'indemnité est d'application depuis le 1er juillet 2007.

In this case, can I deem that I cannot be held responsible for three months penalty and early warning obligation?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Hi,
there is an article about this issue: http://www.dhnet.be/conso/immobilier/ba … 6db989ab7a

I don't know how good your French is but as far as I understand you can leave anytime from the contract without paying penalties if the landlord hasn't registered the contract yet. But since the contract is now registered (even when there was a delay of a few days) I don't think you have this right anymore.

If you really want to have the apartment offered by your company I suggest that you quit your current apartment asap, pay 3 months of penalty and take the new apartment asap. You could equally make a deal with your landlord to find a new tenant who takes over your contract (I suggest immoweb.be or Facebook groups) but anyways you'll need to quit your current contract first.

Best regards

How do we check if the contract is registered?