or pickpocketed."

Transportation is only one of 15 things
in Ecuador that Sara has identified
that may not be exactly as you read
in International L-----
or Live and I----- Overseas.

Source... Sara Chaca writing at
'Issues for expats living in Ecuador'
@cccmedia I'd definitely rather walk - I find the centres of Quito, Cuenca and Loja quite easy to get around on foot - ask me to go up a hill anywhere in Ecuador though, especially in Quito, and I'll catch a taxi thanks!
“Oh look! the “Virgen de El Panecillo” is only four blocks away… but 650 feet straight up… TAXIIIII !!!!

The intercity buses i've taken between Quito and Cotacachi on the other hand are very clean, comfortable, and haven't been overcrowded or feeling unsafe very often. Still keep your bags in your lap never under your seat; the Internet is rife with stories someone will cut them open behind you without you knowing and disappear with your valuables… is it very common? I guess it depends on the route, time of day, and origin city.

i've been told to look for the  “Pana” sign on the bus to be sure I'm getting a direct route That will get me where I'm going in a couple of hours, rather than the one that's gonna take all day and into the night, stopping 10 or 20 times along the way, in the middle of nowhere, with a lot of random people hopping on and off at unscheduled stops.
Avoidance of Extreme Climbing is not the only reason
to avoid the trek up El Panecillo to see the iconic Virgen.

The streets in that part of the Old Town are
infamously rife with 'delincuentes' who would
be thrilled to relieve the 'dar papaya' crowd of
jewelry, cell phones and cameras.

cccmedia

@cccmedia Taxies are easily available and inexpensive. You can go almost anywhere in a city like Cuenca for $5.00 or less.