All about taxes for expats in Portugal

Hi everyone,

Taxation is an important subject, especially when you are an expatriate in Portugal. We would like to know what you think about the tax system in your host country. This could be helpful to other people preparing for expatriation in Portugal.

How to do your tax return in Portugal? Are there different steps beforehand and if so, what are they?

Is it easy or did you have to get help to complete it?

Are there any important elements that should be taken into account when doing your tax return in Portugal?

If you are self-employed, do you need an accountant to do your tax return?

Is there a non-double taxation agreement with your home country? In any case, do you have to pay taxes there as well?

Thanks for your contribution!

Diksha,
Expat.com team

At a minimum, I would suggest that, even for a simple tax return, that new immigrants, get at least their first return done by a professional. Also as there are some incentives (NHR), that it is best to get professional advice asap in order not to inadvertently miss deadlines.

Also, if self employed, there are some self employment rules / processes - best to get these set up correctly from the beginning.

Hi TonyJ1,
I'm a happy NHR and so far I "know" I don't should have taxation for the next 8Y. But your message, activate imediatelly my internal alarm bell!
Do you know, can you recommend a consulter who can advice and is authorized for this issue?
Regards,
Chris

Hi TonyJ1,
I'm a happy NHR and so far I "know" I don't should have taxation for the next 8Y. But your message, activate imediatelly my internal alarm bell!
Do you know, can you recommend a consulter who can advice and is authorized for this issue?
Regards,
Chris

I agree entirely.
As returns are completed in Portuguese and would probably take most of us half a lifetime plus a specific interest in the topic to ensure no mistakes, IMHO it simply isn't worth the effort to DIY if not entirely competent or skint.
I have a local Accountant take care of the entire return process for approx €300pa.
More than happy with the service.
Just send over a copy of evidence (eg. Downloaded bank statements, consolidated pension statement, Building society statement and some confirmation that your up to date with HMRC), nothing else required.
Relax.
No brainer