Residency advice

Hi there im kieran im 25 and i am looking at moving to Hungary to be with my girlfriend, she rents a apartment in balassagyarmat and earns enough to support both of us, I also have about £30,000 due in my bank some time early next year when a property I have a share in sells, Im just looking for advice as I only have 30 days left of my 90 days in 180 and I need more, can someone advise me on what route to take im currently in self education and i plan on job searching in 12/18 months time.

Edit. Im from the uk so now outside the EU.

Kieran Paget wrote:

Hi there im kieran im 25 and i am looking at moving to Hungary to be with my girlfriend, she rents a apartment in balassagyarmat and earns enough to support both of us, I also have about £30,000 due in my bank some time early next year when a property I have a share in sells, Im just looking for advice as I only have 30 days left of my 90 days in 180 and I need more, can someone advise me on what route to take im currently in self education and i plan on job searching in 12/18 months time.

Edit. Im from the uk so now outside the EU.

If you can prove in some way you were living in HU before 31 December 2020, you can register yourself in HU as a permanent resident. 

You do not have to prove anything paperwork wise (obviously need passport but don't have to show you have a job or anything) under the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement if you can get the registration done before the end of the year.  If you get married to your GF, then you can just claim that as a reason to be here. It's a good reason.   

You need an address for the address card. You should get yourself on the rental agreement so your name is on it.  If it's back dated to before 31 Dec 2020, it might be just  good enough to show you were committed here to get registered. It's just an idea but seems like it would work.   

Note registration cards expire end of this year.  You need to swap it for a permit before year end.   

BTW, take your GF along to help you with the registration people.  Hungarians have an amazing ability to use hypnotic hocus pocus to persuade awkward  HU bureaucrats.

Thank you for your advice, me and my gf will be looking into it when she has 5 mins later tonight, with the residency other reasons do you have any clue if 30k gbp would be enough to support me and prove I have my goverment ghic card that should cover me for health insurance.

Kieran Paget wrote:

Thank you for your advice, me and my gf will be looking into it when she has 5 mins later tonight, with the residency other reasons do you have any clue if 30k gbp would be enough to support me and prove I have my goverment ghic card that should cover me for health insurance.

If you can "prove" you were here before 31 Dec 2020 (i.e. apartment rental agreement with your name on it perhaps?), then you do not need to prove anything about your income, health insurance or employment status under the Withdrawal Agreement.   You should read the BMBAH web site.  You only have until the end of the year. I wouldn't leave  it past November 2021 just in case. After 31 Dec 2021, then all British people are the same as 3rd country nationals.  It's crap but that's what it is.

I've no idea if you can live on 30K, it depends on your life style.  I don't think it will last that long - perhaps 2 or 3 years if you take it easy.

GHIC card will cover you to a basic level but it's actually hard to use within the state system.  Most GPs are hard work here, even for Hungarians.  The standard of care is lower than the UK and stuff that's free in the UK, you have to pay for here.  Quite annoying.  GHIC is not the same as insurance.  One thing you might want to do is consider at your age "backpacker" travel insurance.  That could cover you for a year or more worldwide.  GHIC is intended to be an emergency fall back.

Getting into the TAJ card system voluntarily is really difficult without a job or being a retired person.   If you get a TAJ card and a HU EHIC, you are supposed to give back your GHIC to the UK government which is not very good.