Coronavirus situation in the Gambia

I'm curious how the covid-19 pandemic is affecting life in the Gambia. Does everyone has to wear a mask in public, even if just walking outside? Are restaurants, malls etc. open or are serious restrictions in place?

I'm not yet in the Gambia, but I might have to go there in the foreseeable future, hence I'd appreciate any information.

Thanks, CrisKe

@CrisKe Hello! I know this is a bit late, but I was there for all of Feb/March and the only places I recall masks were needed was the bank, airport and Healthcare facilities - that I went to.

Most Gambians I spoke to weren't too concerned with COVID, but were understanding of my concern, being from an area hard hit (U.S.).

Tracy
Thanks for your reply. I had visited Gambia last November and noticed that, outside the airport, there were practically no rules in force. I suppose the warm weather helps; in any case it doesn't seem that Gambia was hit very hard.
Honestly, what I've learned is that it's always "Malaria". Someone is sick? Malaria. Someone is sick with something that most likely isn't Malaria? Nope, still Malaria.

My Brother-In-Law, who is early 20s, was posting a LOT of "rest in peace" photos of friends during 2020/2021 of younger people - I had asked him about it, and it was all, "they said it was Malaria" complications. When I asked my spouse about it, I was told, "they say everything is Malaria when they don't know what it is." Same with my Mother-In-Law with older peoples funerals she was going to around the same time. But, by mid 2021 or later, things calmed down.

I had a nice conversation with a few tradesmen we were working with and they all agreed COVID was not in The Gambia and questioned if it was real, or only an American/European problem. They also agreed being outdoors a lot and in the sun helped them not suffer our fate. When I mentioned other hot areas were hit, they all agreed it was because Gambia had good luck and health because of the people. Seems a lot of it is perspective. ;-)

Tracy