Quality of health care in Montenegro ?

When reaching retirement age; Healthcare becomes an important factor.
Price of health insurance is important living on a fixed income and quality of the healthcare providers even more important. Can anyone give me an updated cost of a locally respected insurance carrier in Montenegro that providers accept there ?

I also got different feed back on quality of care in Montenegro if something more serious care is needed like heart problems it might not be a place to be ????

Would love to hear feedback from people that have experience and can compare to countries known to have excellent health care ???

Hope to hear from  expats with knowledge as I am in final stages of deciding what country to focus on.
Thank you very much

I have been trying to find out the cost and available good healthcare in Montenegro but not one response........I wonder why no one wants to comment ? It is a very important question to get answers to for everyone.
       Would appreciate anyone with first hand experience or knowledge to shed a light on this very important subject to all of us.

Thank you very much

Hi there,

You will find a lot of answers here : https://www.facebook.com/groups/montene … 086103007/

Cheers!
Carine

Thank you,

Very helpful; some positive but many negative statements in there also. Would have loved to be member of that club but have made a point of never becoming part of the Social Media the likes of Facebook (not often you meet people like that anymore :( )

Cheers

The good news is that "Word of Mouth" will have it's own website in a few months, outside of Facebook, so hopefully you can join the "club" then, and be able to get more useful info there, and connect to other expats.

Excellent, I am looking forward to it

Karmsun,

I am from the US and understand your concern. I think the reason you are not getting feedback is because there may not be many people in your situation in these forums. Most people in Montenegro use the local government run health insurance system. Meaning, they work / have a business and pay into the tax system which provides a government run health insurance program. 

If you come as a retiree, I am assuming you will likely get residency based on buying a home here. So, I am not sure what options will be available. There are some private medical options. For example in Podgorica, there is a private hospital called CODRA Hospital which you can look into.

I don't know if there are private systems like in other countries where you can buy private insurance and have access to a decent network of providers. It is a very small country. And again, most people use the government run medical system.

About the local / government run system. In my personal experience, it is a small but functional system if you don't have major / complex needs. I had a routine surgery here and everything went fine. One caveat is the language.  Though I asked about an English speaking doctor/surgeon, the reality is English proficiency is limited. In my case, I have been here long enough to speak an intermediate level of the language, so I managed Ok. The doctor's and nurses were patient and kind and adapted to my level of the language. But I am not sure how it would go if you don't know the language at all. I suppose you'd need to get a friend to go with you.

Before making a final decision, I think it would be best to visit the country and speak to some local providers. Maybe you can find out about private insurance options, and private clinics and hospitals like CODRA Hospital in Podgorica.  I hope this helps a bit.