New members of the Ghana forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Hi all,

Newbie on the Ghana forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Ghana if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi all,

From South Africa due to be in Accra 1 Feb 21.
Government project in Accra duration 36 months

Kindly assist;

Guidance on medical insurance for wife and myself once in country?

Standard Charter is the best option in Accra ?

The process to obtain a valid drivers license is simple and affordable ?

Any other advice will be appreciated

Johann

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, contact details should not be posted on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

you welcome to ghana brother,yes you can get yourself insured whiles here in ghana, and obtaining a license to drive sure you can and is Affordable

No experience of medical insurance but there is WARA that gives emergency medical.
I have used Standard Chartered for 10 years and have found them to be OK. Their app is very good and easy to use.
I got my driving licence very easily 10 years ago but there have been further requirements. Think you might need more documentation from your home country. Look on the DVLA website. There is a standard service which is very cheap but very time consuming- will take you the good part of the day, or a premium service which is short but about 3 or 4 times as expensive.
Enjoy your time in Ghana

khann:

Appreciate your communication...and guidance.

We will arrive in ACCRA 1 February 2021.

Any advice for the nasty mosquito ?

Take care and stay safe

theres are mosquitoes lol, but well all you just need is to use repelant in your room
anytime if u experiences mosquitoes around, enjoy your stay in ghana

We've been here for over 10 years and have managed to avoid malaria. Mosquitoes are unavoidable but your house will be screened and using air-conditioning helps. When going out use repellent especially at night.
It is up to you if you want to take prophylaxis. It is a good idea for the first few weeks and possibly longer but if you are going to be here for a couple of years they may not be advisable.
Take malaria seriously but if you take the necessary precautions you will be OK

Sometimes the process to obtain a driver's license in Ghana can be very stressful I mean time consuming. But I think with foreigners you will be good to go.

Beware of fraudster when you get to our DVLA Offices. Make sure the person you are talking is a staff.  Make enquires from the front desk  first .

For the mosquitoes, hmmm..., Just try to avoid them. Don't sit in an open space where there is total darkness,
There are times, you would love to enjoy the fresh air outside, during those times, the mosquitoes are a bit scarce since they get blown away by the wind. 

Avoid wearing black clothes at night 😂. Coz the mosquitoes kind of like them I think. When ever you go out to have fun, just apply your medi soft mosquito repellent and avoid open spaces where there isn't enough air. you should be able to feel the air, if you want to stay out for long coz it sometimes drive them away.

Thank you for all the advice - appreciated

Hello everyone,

Hope we are all keeping safe.

I am Elizabeth, a new member here. I moved to Ghana from Nigeria to join my husband in 2014. I am a Lawyer, qualified to practice in the Republic of Ghana and the Federal Republic of Nigeria. I live and work as a lawyer in Accra, Ghana.

My aim of joining this community is to connect with people, share experiences, and lend my knowledge and assistance to expats in Ghana if required.

Very warm regards

Welcome home Elizabeth, enjoy your stay, hope we meet one day

Thank you, Ekow.

Sure, we will.

You are welcome, Tindana.

Welcome to Ghana. I have hosted Crossroads volunteers before so know it is a worthwhile organisation

The people we hosted were recruited overseas as Crossroads is a Canadian organisation.

Hello Expats in Ghana.
I am Krishantha. Currently lives in Winnipeg, Canada. Hoping to come to Ghana in July.
Any advice, tips will be highly appreciated
Thank you

krishanthas wrote:

Hello Expats in Ghana.
I am Krishantha. Currently lives in Winnipeg, Canada. Hoping to come to Ghana in July.
Any advice, tips will be highly appreciated
Thank you

Hello and welcome on our forum,

You want advice. On what subjects? Be more explicit and open a new discussion.

For the rest, do as we advise newcomers. Read old chats which you can even filter with the magnifying glass next to your avatar.

Welcome to the forum.
It is always better to ask specific questions and I'm sure you'll find the information you require

Thank you for the quick responses.
Other than the Yellow Fever vaccine is there any other vaccine requirements?
How is internet coverage, speed and cost?
Can US $s be easily transferred in and out of Ghana thru local banks.
Thank you

You need to look on a travel website to see the recommended jabs. Usually typhoid and cholera are. Rabies, Hep A and meningitis and tetanus are others.
You will also be recommended malaria prophylaxis.
If you are going to be based in Accra or Kumasi then you will find Internet at reasonable speed. There are various providers but usually you need two as none are 100% reliable.
Sending money to Ghana is very easy. I have no problems making transfers from the UK. I'm not sure how easy it is the other way as I have never tried. There is also a limit - I think $10,000- you can send out in a year.

Thank you for the reply  and recommendations.

Dear all,

I remind you that the presentation post is not made to discuss but to introduce yourself.

Please respect the site's charter of conduct which specifies that in the event of specific questions, a new discussion should be opened.

I was working in Ghana for more than 12yrs..From last year I am in India due to some personal reason's..
Planning to move back to Ghana.so I am looking for a suitable job..

Hello everyone!

I'm living in Ashanti Mampong. I first came to Ghana in 2007 and after returning several times in the past years, I decided to move here. I'm working on opening a non-profit yoga studio & guesthouse. Looking forward to making some new friends here!

Good luck with your new venture. I'm sure you'll be successful

You are welcome

Welcome Nancy. I see you come from Hong Kong. I worked there for 8 years. I'm sure you'll be very happy in Ghana but it is very different from Hong Kong. Please get in touch by private message if you need any help or advice.

Greetings,

I'm Edward. I moved to Ghana from the United States (I've been here a month). I'm a freelance writer ([link moderated]), and though my clients are in the U.S., I intend to find clients in Africa too. I'm still getting acclimated to Ghana, so I'm sure I'll find lots of useful information in the forum.

Be well and stay safe.

Ed

Welcome and I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here. Good luck with finding new contacts and I'm sure you'll be successful. If you need specific advice ask on the general forum and I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for.

hkann wrote:

Welcome and I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here. Good luck with finding new contacts and I'm sure you'll be successful. If you need specific advice ask on the general forum and I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for.

Thank you.

Hi everyone!

I am living in the UK at the moment but I hope to be able to relocate in Ghana late Autumn of 2022, if possible. I am here to get information about living in Ghana (but not in Accra), somewhere near the beach or the mountains (or ideally, in between!). Any advice will be greatly appreciated :-)

Hi
I'm sure you will find some great places outside Accra. Aburi is close to Accra but in the mountains. You can look either towards Ada Foa or towards Cape Coast. Lots of areas developing along the coast.
Good luck in your search

Hi Edward,

What part of the US are you from? I'm in Miami, making a long-range plan to get out of the country. We should definitely stay in contact.

I'm looking to travel to Accra sometime in November or early December--would love to connect when I do.

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all doing well? I live in Accra, Ghana and currently work as an internal control officer in a bank.

In times past, I have come accross a few expats who need help getting settled in Ghana. I know how frustrating it can get moving to a place where you're completely oblivious of how things work or where to find what.

The Government of Ghana is currently inviting everyone especially people of African descent to Ghana.

Should you need help with any information or errand, you can contact me and I'd see how best I can be of help.

Thanks. I am one of those diasporas moving to Ghana. I work in capital markets at a bank here in the US so looking for guidance for doing the same there. Also, good leads on respectable real estate companies.

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

je vous remercie pour votre réponse mais je besoin de faire les demandes de préinscription ou école de langue au Ghana

This forum is an English forum so you must write in English

Are you in Ghana Now and how are you coping

Closed