TEFL - Where did you get your Certification

I would like to know where English teachers in Vietnam obtained their TEFL, and your opinion of the quality, and value of the course. Was the course you chose, worth the cost? How long did it take you to complete the course? Do you feel you learned valuable information which will help you become a good English teacher? Do you believe the name of the TEFL company from which you obtained the certification, is recognized by most schools in Vietnam?

I'm trying to choose an online TEFL certification course, and finding valuable information on the internet for this is the most frustrating research I've ever been through. I'm finding nothing but marketing hype. It seems impossible to find a genuine review on anything. Some sites are nothing more than an attempt to con the reader into believing it's an honest review from someone trying to help people find a good TEFL course, but in reality, it's a poor attempt to trick you into something which will earn money for the reviewer.

I want to complete a quality course without overpaying. I don't want to buy a certification. I want to actually learn useful teaching skills. Please tell me your opinions of the course you've completed.

You wont gain useful skills from an online course. You need to do a course with classroom based practice. You dont mention where you are, so its hard to give you any other advice relating to companies.

Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

Generally speaking, an online certificate is not accepted by most schools as it lacks any classroom training or practice. Of course, completing one would be better than having nothing.

For quite some time now, the CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) from Cambridge University has been considered the best certificate to have.

Here's the website:
https://www.cambridgeenglish.org/teachi … ons/celta/

They state that:
"The CELTA course can be taken in different ways:

full time – usually 4–5 weeks
part time – from a few months to over the course of a year
online – a blended learning course, combining online self-study with hands-on teaching practice."

johnross23 wrote:

Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

Generally speaking, an online certificate is not accepted by most schools as it lacks any classroom training or practice. Of course, completing one would be better than having nothing.

For quite some time now, the CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) from Cambridge University has been considered the best certificate to have.

Here's the website:
https://www.cambridgeenglish.org/teachi … ons/celta/

They state that:
"The CELTA course can be taken in different ways:

full time – usually 4–5 weeks
part time – from a few months to over the course of a year
online – a blended learning course, combining online self-study with hands-on teaching practice."

Depends on the employer, several places provide trainimg in their curriculum before you start actual lessons, these tend to be centres that provide teachers to public schoold and will accept TEFL

I live in Indianapolis, Indiana, in the United States.

Thank you for the information. I've read, CELTA is the best, but I've also read, it is focused on teaching adults, and most of the jobs in Vietnam are for teaching children. That's the main reason I was interested in a TEFL. I'm not finding much with regard to obtaining a TEFL in a classroom setting, with the exception of doing it in another country. I'd prefer to do it that way, but of course, Covid 19 prevents me from traveling to Vietnam currently. Since Vietnam won't allow most Americans in at this time, I'm trying to find a way of getting one from home.

By the way, I did not mention in my first post, I have a Bachelor of Science degree in business, but I do not have any teaching experience, with the exception of teaching a citizenship class to refugees from Myanmar, on a volunteer basis, a few hours per week, at my church. I've done this for a couple years, but it is not full time, and it is not every week, either.

If you have no prior teaching experience, the CELTA is probably the way to go as it has a significant hands on practicum segment.  The thing about CELTA being adult oriented may be in part becaue that is the group that they have available for practicum.  I took the Oxford course (run by the publisher, not the University.)  It was fine for me but I had a BEd and teaching experience. It was a thorough course but lacked a full practicum.   A friend of mine who was a retired teacher from Australia took a course locally available in HCMC which is often ridiculed for teaching games.  In his case he said that was perfect for him.  It just depends where you are coming from in terms of experience. but the CELTA is probably best if you do not have prior teaching time.  I couldn't find a CELTA in Indiana in a quick online search but the Oxford course does seem to be taught in Indianapolis.

If you are interested in teaching English in Vietnam, you should probably just start networking with the schools as they can advise you about the specific requirements and what they are looking for.

There are some shady schools and recruiters so it's best to get a wide range of sources of info. Don't believe everything you hear.

Have a look at ads here:
https://vietnamteachingjobs.com/

Also, if you are on Facebook, nearly all schools have a FB page and there are numerous groups such as English Teaching Jobs in Vietnam (The Original), Real English Teaching Jobs in Vietnam, Teaching Jobs in Vietnam, English Teaching Jobs in Hanoi, Teaching Jobs in Da Nang, English Teaching Jobs in HCM Vietnam, English Teaching Jobs & Expats In Vietnam, ESL Teaching in Vietnam, etc. where you can see what's out there and meet some teachers.

Unfortunately, the TEFL industry in Vietnam (as well as many other places) is focused on profits rather than education, so most schools don't want to offer much.  I don't think there are (m)any schools that are willing to sponsor a candidate who's not in-country at the moment. Use this time for thorough research.

It seems people here are genuinely trying to help. Thank you for the responses. I hope to continue to read more responses. I will continue my research and eventually make a decision on where to receive the training.

I agree with the comments about the Celta certificate. It's a great certificate to have if you are considering a career in teaching English overseas and once you have it your standard is confirmed. It would also be useful should you wish to work in other countries since it is accepted pretty much everywhere. However, I see it more as an important certificate than anything else and that the real learning starts when you begin your job.

Officially no formal training certificate is an internationally accredited qualifications, they are just certifying you took a course.

If for example you tried to get any certificate in the UK legalised that was not part of the university programs the chances of anyone actually legalising it are rmote at best.

TEFL / TESOL / CELTA are all pretty much interchangable