Can an ESL teacher in VietNam make $120k a year?

Are all the Vietnamese students going to speak English with a Tagalog accent?

Following an article containing a quote from an education official that UK teachers demand a monthly salary of US$10,000 to teach English to high school students, Tuoitrenews has received comments from many expats denying the claim.

LE Hong Son, director of the Ho Chi Minh City Department of Education, recently said that it would soon recruit 100 Filipinos to teach English at elementary, middle, and high schools because “Filipino teachers demanded a lower salary, a mere US$2,000 per month, while Australian teachers asked for $5,000 and UK teachers demanded $10,000 a month”.

Mr. Son said such figures were based on a survey, without clarifying further.

An American citizen currently working in Ho Chi Minh City named Michael Tatarski laughed at the claim, writing “most ESL teachers at language centres make roughly $2,000 per month. Teachers at places like RMIT or the international schools make more, but nowhere near $5,000 a month”.

Now, it may sound like $2,000 is a small salary, but in VietNam, considering the low cost of living, the figure is huge.

According to official statistics from the Vietnamese Ministry of Labour, War Invalids and Social Affairs, the average monthly salary in Vietnam last year was a mere VND3.8 million (US$185).

So a $2,000 salary is nearly 11 times higher than average, while the dubious $10,000 number is 54 times higher.

Also, the $10,000 monthly (or $120,000 annual salary) is even considered high in the US and UK.

According to the UK Department for Education, the average starting salary for a teacher in that country is 23,010 pounds, or $36,750. Experienced teachers can make up to $100,000, but only after long tenures and years of hard work.

Even college professors in the US make an average of just $73,000 per year. These are people who have Masters and PhDs and other advanced degrees, not a simple 4-week TESOL certificate, Tatarski wrote.

A reader introducing himself as Peter commented “This shows just how out of touch with reality the people behind education policies in VietNam really are. We have long suspected it - this is categorical proof. Unbelievable”.

According to M. Joseph, $2,000 per month is the norm for British, Australian, and American teachers in VietNam. RMIT University pays its English teachers around $2,900, and that is the best paid job in Ho Chi Minh City.

“Where did the figures of $5,000 and $10,000 come from? They are absolutely absurd numbers and reflect zero understanding of the teaching industry in VietNam”, M. Joseph commented.

Also suspicious is Brian Lamprell, who suggests there are some "under the table" pay rates.

As for Stivi Cooke from Australia, currently teaching English in Hoi An and Da Nang, he admits he makes a modest $800 a month.

Meanwhile, Leo asked Tuoitrenews to interview Mr. Son to find out who demanded the astronomical $10,000 and determine which survey it was.

Readers also hotly debated the cost value of a Filipino teacher versus a native speaker.

For Muca, non-native teachers are often much better than native ones, since many native teachers don't know much about grammar.

“I do welcome new Filipino teachers, they speak flawless English, know the grammar better”.

Lamprell disagreed, revealing he had spoken with dozens of Filipinos in Australia and never heard one speak with the same intonation, inflection, expression and pronunciation as a native speaker.

Source: Tuoitrenews

I'm not sure what's worse.....Vietnamese kids speaking English with the tagalog accent or the snotty Aussie accent.

Where are the yanks?????

The one thing I learned about statistics, especially those come from Vietnamese officials, is that they tend to be skewed to fit their departmental agendas.  One must never take them at face value.

dtcali wrote:

I'm not sure what's worse.....Vietnamese kids speaking English with the tagalog accent or the snotty Aussie accent. ...

You like living dangerously, better watch out.

Jaitch wrote:

I'm sure we all have thick skins.:)

dtcali wrote:
Jaitch wrote:

I'm sure we all have thick skins.:)

You'll end up covered in vegemite and grilled on a BBQ if you keep saying things like that ! :lol:

Aussies - snotty ??? What rot ! Won't say which race I think are 'snotty' but it's certainly NOT the Aussies. :P

Firstly, I am an American speaking from over ten years experience teaching and living in Vietnam.

As stated on the site, you can never take Vietnamse statistics at face value. This country has one on the lowest publication rates of national statistics.

You will not get rich teaching in Vietnam as wages are not going up do to the huge influx of foreigners looking for teaching positions. Furthermore, you are required to hold a valid work permit good only for the employer who sponsers you. Most of the private colleges hold 25% tax from your pay-but actually never turn it in to the government.

You can earn about 2,000 a month, but most teachers work and shuffle schedules at 2-3 schools to get hours. RMIT is an exception where you work a full schedule, but most teachers must stay on campus all day and put in 40 hours per week. RMIT usually requres a master degree.

Filipinos work cheap due to there being a lack of jobs in their home country. The Asian High Schools and their middle schools hire many of them.

Remember, almost all the language schools are businesses, therefore money comes before real teaching. If you are a serious teacher in Vietnam-you wont last long as the push is to retain and get returning students. Therefore, you must be well-liked and entertain the students. It is a money game-not real teaching as in the US or UK or Austr.

The work permint process for Americans is a nightmare alone. Also, make sure you can handle the culture by taking a 2 week or so stay in the country before relocating. Saigon pays the most for teachers but it is hectic, noisy and dirty. If you don't need the money so much, try going to the delta areas such as Vinh Long, Can Tho, Bac Lieu, and Ca Mau for a less hectic lifestyle.

Lastly-trust few people 100%! In other words be careful with yourself and your money. Life is still cheap in Vietnam. The face has changed but the culture is still much the same. Make the best of it if you go there and be friendly at all times (and try to learn and speak some Vietnamese).

I have read so many things about the salary of Filipino teachers being recruited to teach in Vietnam. But the fact and the truth is the teachers were only offered $900 dollars, not $2,000. I know someone applying for a job as an English teacher there. And all the recruitment agencies also have the same offer... and that is $900. I researched for it myself.

This makes me sad to hear that Filipinos are teaching English... nothing against the people themselves, but they are not what I consider to be regular English speakers.

Having a Vietnamese accent is bad enough to the English-speaking ear... imagine adding a Filipino accent on top of that.

You know why Mr. Latin etc...???
Because Philippines is the 3rd largest speaking country IN THE WORLD. and FYI Philippines is the NUMBER ONE in BUSINESS ENGLISH IN THE WORLD.

We have the patience to stay in a school or center and teach the students WITH HEART. It's not about money.... IT'S ALL ABOUT PASSION, WILLINGNESS and DEDICATION to our PROFESSION.

Talking about the "ACCENT."
Here's an example.

We pronounce "H" as "eich"
Aussie pronounce it as "hetch"
Vietnamese as "het or hat"

In addition, teaching ESL isn't about the "ACCENT"
DO YOU THINK YOU CAN LEARN THE ACCENT WITHOUT THE BASICS?
Speaking English inside the school and NEVER practice it outside in a real life situation?

Why they don't practice?
1. They don't speak English at home or in the community.
2. They need to find an English speaking person in order to practice.
3. CONFIDENCE is lacking.... SHY and AFRAID to have mistake and be CORRECTED.

So what's my solution for this problem???
(Based on my experiences and my method as a PROFESSIONAL TEACHER WITH DEDICATION).

"TEACH THEM "CONFIDENCE" FIRST BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE."
If they have it... Then the learning will follow.

Because Philippines is the 3rd largest speaking country IN THE WORLD. and FYI Philippines is the NUMBER ONE in BUSINESS ENGLISH IN THE WORLD.

Thats the funniest thing I have read in a long time.

Your punctuation needs some work professional teacher

Search it

Number 1 non-native speaking countries, there is a vast difference. It counts the people who are not native speakers, not the whole population. For a teacher you cant read very well.

Quote from GlobalEnglish

So what we're looking at is not "speakers of business English", but paying GlobalEnglish subscribers

It's not about the punctuation Mr. Aussie.
It's all about the thought and the topic itself.
Come on don't change it by making a new one.

Well you posted misleading information.

cant

Ok, very nice reply.

sorry....
but the bottom line is that.
we are all here to earn.
for ourselves and for our family.
we shouldn't talk about anything which will lead us of hating each others race.
WE ARE ALL FRIENDS HERE.
My apology SIR.

I never said I hated you or your race, just making comments. Have a good weekend

Getting cheaper workers from other countries happens all the time. It's never about heart, passion, willingness,  dedication or being professional. It's about money and Filipino workers will work for less. Simple.
I do thank the people who actually posted on the subject and not slightly racist rubbish which didn't help anyone.

It's a money game - period!

@drutter > this topic is inactive since 2013.

The search for Truth can never be inactive

Wild_1 wrote:

The one thing I learned about statistics, especially those come from Vietnamese officials, is that they tend to be skewed to fit their departmental agendas.  One must never take them at face value.

86.7% of readers agree with you