A bit of an obscure question ...

Hello !

My name is Erin and I'm new to expat . I'm sorry if this post is in the wrong category , I wasn't sure what to place this under .
I've been living in Japan for almost 2 years and I'm looking for a different type of experience .

I've been wanting to escape the English teaching routine and do what I originally wanted to do when I dreamed of coming to Japan . Travel !

Maybe as an English teacher you know that there isn't much time to travel ( unless you just work for a really good company or are part time , I guess) and that when you do ask for time off , you're guilt tripped into not taking the time off . I think teaching is a new experience for me but it was only a means to securely get into the country . Otherwise , I would very much like to be free ...

Complaining aside and to the main point , I've always been interested in Van life which is popular in America . I have no plans of going back to America anytime soon ; so in Japan I started planning to quit my job , sell my apartment and buy a camper van with my savings to just live on the road in Japan . This would allow so much more time to see the country and work remotely until I decided to move on to the next country .

Though I've done a lot of research on this , I can't seem to find if it's mandatory that I have to have a place of residence in Japan ( address on the residence card ) . Since I would be living on the road , I wouldn't really have a place of residence . I looked into a P.O. box ( which is a thing here thankfully ) but I'm not sure if that's enough with being a foreigner and all .

Does anyone have any insight on this ?

Not legal advice but this is one of the possible solution.
There are address renting service / virtual offices mostly used by individuals to setup companies and people who will be living overseas for extended period of time.

Only certain service provider allows you to use the rented address to register as residence address at the city hall so please check with them for the purpose you're going to use it for.

You still need to have a real address on paper, that's for sure. For taxing, accountability etc. purposes