Moving to Bulgaria

Hi all,
Just a query re moving furniture over in a 7.5 ton box lorry, are there any regulations i need to be aware of when driving through Romania and Bulgaria as these are outside the EU free travel area and i do not want to get stopped for permits etc that i should have that i dont know about. In the Uk i do not need any permit to drive such a lorry for private use and this is the same in Europe - any help would be welcomed or guidance as to where to find the correct info out.

Thanks
Paul

Hi Paul

Makes no difference Schengen Area or not in the EU, it's still part of EU so the same rules apply. Check the UK Gov website HERE.

While driving through Europe, just make sure you check to see if you need a toll sticker in each country you drive through.

Assuming you either had previously passed an HGV driving test or took your car test prior to 1 Jan 1997, you will have a licence to drive a 7.5t truck; you basically need the C1 entitlement on your current driving licence.

You can only carry your own goods; if you're carrying anything for anybody else, you're classed as operating for hire and reward (even if they don't pay you), you then need a drivers Certificate of Professional Competence and have to comply with drivers rest hours; Working Time Directive regulations may also kick in.