Cebu City back to ECQ

As of June 16 Cebu City has returned to ECQ (from GCQ) due to the rising number of COVID-19 cases in several of the crowded barangays. Set to be re-evaluated July 1. Currently it is the only location in the Philippines to be on full ECQ, although Talisay City (to the south) is on Modified ECQ.  The other large cities near Cebu City (Lapu-Lapu and Mandaue) remain on GCQ.

And the PAL planes scheduled for Manila from SF and LA will be landing in Cebu first and then quarantining everyone for 2-4 days while they wait for C-19 test results.  Sounds like being fed in a hotel room, especially 60 or over, could become problematic during ECQ.

Mactan airport is on Mactan Island, technically outside Cebu City so only GCQ. Quarantine hotels would probably be in Lapu-Lapu, also on Mactan Island. But still I don't get it. Why land extra flights in Cebu at all when it is already burdened with (supposedly) the highest CV cases in Philippines? I guess it's a way of allowing more flights into the country.

pnwcyclist wrote:

Mactan airport is on Mactan Island, technically outside Cebu City so only GCQ. Quarantine hotels would probably be in Lapu-Lapu, also on Mactan Island. But still I don't get it. Why land extra flights in Cebu at all when it is already burdened with (supposedly) the highest CV cases in Philippines? I guess it's a way of allowing more flights into the country.

Yes, because only 600/day can land in Manila.  According to PAL for those 3 flights it was either land in Cebu or cancel.

As of June 22, all quarantine passes have been revoked, and the city is under full lockdown. President Duterte is sending an ex military general to oversee more stringent actions as Cebu currently has an infection rate of 2.0, meaning each infected person gives it to two others. You can imagine why - crowded squatter areas and lack of sanitary conditions in many cases. Plus there is some indication that the "hardheaded" Cebuanos haven't been social distancing, with many out and about. We'll see where it goes from here but currently with that restriction you can only access food within your local village.

:(

Richard Yan wrote:

Yup...Looks like we are going to miss our elections back home!