Motorbiking in Rwanda

Hi all,

I'll be moving to Rwanda in September and was wondering if you guys could help me sort out some motorbike transportation? I've been to Rwanda several times now and am confident with using a motorbike to get around. So, I'd like to look into buying one for my stay of around 8months.
First could anyone tell me about license requirements for Rwanda? Do I need a motorbike license or will my European driving license suffice?

Thanks all

Hi and welcome on board mcguinsk!

I hope other members will be able to help you ;)

Regards
Armand

Bonjour, vous pouvez utiliser votre permis sans aucun problemes. Bon sejour.

sorry cannot help with the motorbike...but having been in rwanda before i thought you might be able to suggest a hostel..hoping around 5 a night.  good luck..will be arriving july 10.  thanks..maybe see you around...Paula..missoula montana

Try the guesthouse attached to St. Pauls Cathedral. Very central, and very cheap. Has all you might need and is very safe. Not heading over until September so I might miss you. Have a good time, it's a great place.

Just bought a scooter but of course...for men...better go with the real bike as this country is a bit "testosterone-like"...meaning that a man must have a big bike.  As for women, they should not have a motorbike at all...but I don't care because as a Muzungo I do not fall under the same social code (i like to believe). 

Sameer Hussein sells some TVs from 1000$ (all included for scooter) to 2000$ for more powerful bikes.  For short term stay, it's the best value for money and relative to Asia...VERY easy driving without much traffic and people are rather good drivers (except for some mototaxi drivers that tend to cut you with some sick pleasure).

Sameer is very nice and young owner who will do all the paper work for you. For the money, you should bring 1000 USD or Euros with you, as withdrawal with VISA card (only solution here, credit cards) is quite costly with 5 to 6 withdrawals.

Hope that helped you.