Visa Extension During COVID-19 Virus Crisis

As has already been discussed in other threads, an in-country extension of a tourist or business visa might be the best option for some people at this time.

BEWARE: If someone offers you information regarding a SIX MONTH "visa" extension, this does NOT apply to you if you currently have a tourist or business visa.

Six month extensions are only available to individuals with a Visa Exemption Certificate.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

As has already been discussed in other threads, an in-country extension of a tourist or business visa might be the best option for some people at this time.

BEWARE: If someone offers you information regarding a SIX MONTH "visa" extension, this does NOT apply to you if you currently have a tourist or business visa.

Six month extensions are only available to individuals with a Visa Exemption Certificate.

Confirmed. Only applies to VEC's. Other extensions vary depending on visa.

Thank you OceanBeach92107. Do you know what the price would be of a 3 months tourist   visa ( non USA) extension ? Still 1 month to go, maybe the government will come up with something !
Thanks

Sobie wrote:

Thank you OceanBeach92107. Do you know what the price would be of a 3 months tourist   visa ( non USA) extension ? Still 1 month to go, maybe the government will come up with something !
Thanks

been following this thread closely as I am in a similar situation 3 months multi tourist so contacted the agent I use & this was the reply....
https://i.postimg.cc/5jDpfKxt/visa.png

Thank goodolboy . Girlfriend checked with an agency in HCM and she told me it was 355 for 3 months. Will wait and will go somewhere in April to check with the immigration  office in Da Nang.

Sobie wrote:

Thank goodolboy . Girlfriend checked with an agency in HCM and she told me it was 355 for 3 months. Will wait and will go somewhere in April to check with the immigration  office in Da Nang.

Sounds like a plan, you never know our luck & its all a distant dream by the time we have to sort it out!!

So recently I obtained my 5 year VEC and little information from the Committee office in HCM what to do with it.

My original 3 month tourist visa expires 20th April but now have the VEC.

What do I need to do now ? The virus scare is making finding any official information tricky to say the least.

One visa agent says cannot extend the original visa and to check back on 15th April.

Others quote silly high prices for a service but don't explain exactly what happens.

Sobie wrote:

Thanks

As with all visa matters through agents, the price varies from one agent to another.

I've referred a couple of people to my agent, but I haven't asked what price they were quoted.

Always wise to shop around for such services.

Jlgarbutt wrote:

So recently I obtained my 5 year VEC and little information from the Committee office in HCM what to do with it.

What do I need to do now ? The virus scare is making finding any official information tricky to say the least.

One visa agent says cannot extend the original visa and to check back on 15th April.

Others quote silly high prices for a service but don't explain exactly what happens.

I believe Ciambella answered this the other day.

You should have six months from the issuance date of your VEC.

By it's very name, it EXEMPTS you from the need for a visa.

Probably best to simply forget about the visa you previously had but is now not applicable, even though it appears to still have validity.

Anyone feel free to correct me.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

I believe Ciambella answered this the other day.

You should have six months from the issuance date of your VEC.

By it's very name, it EXEMPTS you from the need for a visa.

Probably best to simply forget about the visa you previously had but is now not applicable, even though it appears to still have validity.

Anyone feel free to correct me.

I agree. Surely the VEC cancels the other visa ?

Ok thanks.. I trust the information here more than any agent.

Just spent half an hour talking to Vietnam immigration.org.vn which the name itself would make you think they are semi officials. But I think the plant in the corner or the room talks more sense.

I'll read Ciambellas post..

In my mind yes.. but it would have been nice to be told this when I got passports back.

Wife sitting here saying I must extend original visa.. but why ???

Heaven forbid I disagree with her and ask because she will say check Google..

Jlgarbutt wrote:

In my mind yes.. but it would have been nice to be told this when I got passports back.

Maybe if you emphasize to her that it's only possible for you to stay beyond the Visa time because of her?

Marvel at the incomprehensible yet amazing ability of the Vietnamese woman to take full and complete care of her man.

Hold the VEC in front of you, before her, and as you bow from the waist three times bring the VEC up to your forehead.

Worth a try?

Jlgarbutt wrote:

I guess all circumstances are different , but when I first got my 5yr VEC, albeit a some time ago and have another since. I still had a valid 3 month visa. The new 5yr VEC visa cancelled the 3 month one but needed to go out and in again to activate it.

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Here's the problem for you and I know, I just went through it.  My DT visa was expiring on 3/19.  I got my VEC as soon as I got back from a trip to the US in January because, well, sometimes things go sideways in Vietnam. I had it since February 6th.

So now you have a soon to expire visa and a new VEC.  You must get a stamp to get that VEC activated to start the 180 day clock on it.  If you have no stamp on the VEC it is NOT valid, even though it is stuck in your passport.  Until it is stamped in, it's not valid.

So, you need to do a visa run or pay someone to stamp it in.  I talked to my friend who actually works in immigration - this would have been two weeks ago - to see if he could do me a favor and get it stamped in.  He got me my DT visa and it came back to me stamped in a year ago so he can get it done.  I didn't have to do a border run to get it activated.  Regardless, when I asked him if he could stamp in my VEC he said he would check and get back to me. 

The next day he sent me a message saying that the "The price now very high, you should go to Moc Bai".  He didn't even tell me a price so he knew it was an insulting amount so he just kept quiet.  Just to do the border run.  So I did it two weeks ago.

All of that said, I can probably get it stamped in for you, but it will be expensive.  Other agents can probably do it for you as well, but you will need it done.

SteinNebraska wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Here's the problem for you and I know, I just went through it.  My DT visa was expiring on 3/19.  I got my VEC as soon as I got back from a trip to the US in January because, well, sometimes things go sideways in Vietnam. I had it since February 6th.

So now you have a soon to expire visa and a new VEC.  You must get a stamp to get that VEC activated to start the 180 day clock on it.  If you have no stamp on the VEC it is NOT valid, even though it is stuck in your passport.  Until it is stamped in, it's not valid.

So, you need to do a visa run or pay someone to stamp it in.  I talked to my friend who actually works in immigration - this would have been two weeks ago - to see if he could do me a favor and get it stamped in.  He got me my DT visa and it came back to me stamped in a year ago so he can get it done.  I didn't have to do a border run to get it activated.  Regardless, when I asked him if he could stamp in my VEC he said he would check and get back to me. 

The next day he sent me a message saying that the "The price now very high, you should go to Moc Bai".  He didn't even tell me a price so he knew it was an insulting amount so he just kept quiet.  Just to do the border run.  So I did it two weeks ago.

All of that said, I can probably get it stamped in for you, but it will be expensive.  Other agents can probably do it for you as well, but you will need it done.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Since all border runs are forbidden now, do you recommend using an agent OR going to an immigration office?

It's times like this you really find the true colours in people. 

Not surprised at all they would use a global health issue to extort money from people.   It's not as though immigration is run off their feet with Visa applications & supply & demand is the issue.

SE Asian tourism will be “on the nose” for a long time , especially when your neighbour appears to be the epicentre of outbreaks.   You'd think they'd be showing a more reasonable approach to these matters given that expats are already here.   I can understand cracking down on new arrivals.

These extortionist attitudes will come back to bite them.   

They're are empty apartment buildings & hotels all across VIetnam .  Can't sell them, can't rent them.   In  Nha Trang at the moment there are brand new 2 bedroom apartments in decent 5 level buildings , furnished asking 5/6 million.    A friend has just leased one....he was offered fully furnished, free electricity @ 5 mill.   He's the only one in the building.   NOW...the owner wants the furniture back😆

Ya know why,,,,they need CASH.  They have no money, negative cash flow & banks & money lenders squeezing them.    They've got to “hock” the TV for food.

And this is just the start.

I would suggest to anyone that's not tied to Vietnam with commitments , and is being stood over for ridiculous extension fees , to leave for PP Phnom Penh & wait it out there.  Borders are OK for going provided you haven't set foot in certain countries recently.   Long term vIsa are easy to get & cheap.   Also ,there's an oversupply of accommodation.

We all come to these places for a change in lifestyle & experiences.  Why not roll the dice again & experience something different.  After all, how do most people put their days in around here....drink Coffee.?

Cambodia isn't everyone's cup of tea either, but a change for a few months wouldn't hurt.   There's always another way.

Good luck with it.

Ontheroad57 wrote:

It's times like this you really find the true colours in people. 

Not surprised at all they would use a global health issue to extort money from people.   It's not as though immigration is run off their feet with Visa applications & supply & demand is the issue.

SE Asian tourism will be “on the nose” for a long time , especially when your neighbour appears to be the epicentre of outbreaks.   You'd think they'd be showing a more reasonable approach to these matters given that expats are already here.   I can understand cracking down on new arrivals.

These extortionist attitudes will come back to bite them.   

They're are empty apartment buildings & hotels all across VIetnam .  Can't sell them, can't rent them.   In  Nha Trang at the moment there are brand new 2 bedroom apartments in decent 5 level buildings , furnished asking 5/6 million.    A friend has just leased one....he was offered fully furnished, free electricity @ 5 mill.   He's the only one in the building.   NOW...the owner wants the furniture back😆

Ya know why,,,,they need CASH.  They have no money, negative cash flow & banks & money lenders squeezing them.    They've got to “hock” the TV for food.

And this is just the start.

I would suggest to anyone that's not tied to Vietnam with commitments , and is being stood over for ridiculous extension fees , to leave for PP Phnom Penh & wait it out there.  Borders are OK for going provided you haven't set foot in certain countries recently.   Long term vIsa are easy to get & cheap.   Also ,there's an oversupply of accommodation.

We all come to these places for a change in lifestyle & experiences.  Why not roll the dice again & experience something different.  After all, how do most people put their days in around here....drink Coffee.?

Cambodia isn't everyone's cup of tea either, but a change for a few months wouldn't hurt.   There's always another way.

Good luck with it.

Didnt Cambodia close down its borders, how can anyone enter?

Cambodia

Flights still arriving today.....Singapore,Thailand already landed.

Yesterday flights from China still got in😆 and more due today.

Hun sen said the borders are closed till 20/4. 🤓.Maybe just to VN & Cambo nationals????.   But flights have landed today already ......it's policy on the run.

I was under the impression China was suspending outbound tour groups,,,,but individual travellers may be different.    Also , maybe those Chinese airlines are coming to just pick up,,,,but you'd think by now most would have gone. 

97% of businesses in Sihanoukville are Chinese owned or controlled.

See arrival/departure info on Phnom Penh airport.    It's still the Wild West apparantly.
Just updated....5 international flights landed this morning , with plenty more due to arrive later today from Japan, China ,Korea, Doha, Taipei.......its one big party over there.

Ontheroad57 wrote:

Flights still arriving today.....Singapore,Thailand already landed.

Yesterday flights from China still got in😆 and more due today.

Hun sen said the borders are closed till 20/4. 🤓.Maybe just to VN & Cambo nationals????.   But flights have landed today already ......it's policy on the run.

I was under the impression China was suspending outbound tour groups,,,,but individual travellers may be different.    Also , maybe those Chinese airlines are coming to just pick up,,,,but you'd think by now most would have gone. 

97% of businesses in Sihanoukville are Chinese owned or controlled.

See arrival/departure info on Phnom Penh airport.    It's still the Wild West apparantly.
Just updated....5 international flights landed this morning , with plenty more due to arrive later today from Japan, China ,Korea, Doha, Taipei.......its one big party over there.

Flights sound ok, but the borders have been closed to everyone, including Vietnamese. Thats what is being reported in the media.

You've got to wonder who's running the place now.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Since all border runs are forbidden now, do you recommend using an agent OR going to an immigration office?

I truly do not know.  I've never used an agent for anything, only my immigration friend and that was only for one DT visa.  Everything else I've done in the US myself through San Francisco VN consulate.

SteinNebraska wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I truly do not know.  I've never used an agent for anything, only my immigration friend and that was only for one DT visa.  Everything else I've done in the US myself through San Francisco VN consulate.

So much seems to depend on what province or district you apply to. Officials will always get whatever they can. Here in HCM there is no need to use an agent, you can get an extension yourself with a bit of running around. How long that extension is valid for and cost depends on your current visa and your circumstances. Either way, much much cheaper than using an agent.

I can only comment on VEC extensions and my experience over the last 9 days. Other types of visa extension may or may not have the same procedure. There is so much conjecture on here, inaccurate information and members more concerned about how big their genitals are than any accurate information. So this post by personal and current experience.
First you need to get form NA5 verified and stamped which you should have done anyway. If not you can get the form from the government website. Download, print and get your local district officer to stamp it. There is no fee for this but a little 'coffee' money will speed the process.
You then need to go to one of two Immigration offices, your district officer will tell you which one.
Ignore the vultures that drop from the trees when you arrive, you do not need them. Take a ticket and wait your turn.
Go to the window as designated with your passport, proof of where you live ( stamped VA5 ) and documents that supported the original granting of a VEC. In my case was a marriage Certificate. Procedure is odd in that the application is made by my spouse rather than me so she needs to be with you.
I was given the option of a new VEC for 5yrs or a 6 month extension to my original one. I declined the new VEC as being pretty much pointless as it had a 15day requirement to go out and back in again to activate it, so took the extension. Same price, $10.
They kept passport and said could take between 7 to 10 days. This was done last Monday. Received a message Thursday to go and collect. All done for $10 plus coffee money to district officer etc. Total cost $30.

Indices wrote:

I can only comment on VEC extensions and my experience over the last 9 days. Other types of visa extension may or may not have the same procedure. There is so much conjecture on here, inaccurate information and members more concerned about how big their genitals are than any accurate information. So this post by personal and current experience.
First you need to get form NA5 verified and stamped which you should have done anyway. If not you can get the form from the government website. Download, print and get your local district officer to stamp it. There is no fee for this but a little 'coffee' money will speed the process.
You then need to go to one of two Immigration offices, your district officer will tell you which one.
Ignore the vultures that drop from the trees when you arrive, you do not need them. Take a ticket and wait your turn.
Go to the window as designated with your passport, proof of where you live ( stamped VA5 ) and documents that supported the original granting of a VEC. In my case was a marriage Certificate. Procedure is odd in that the application is made by my spouse rather than me so she needs to be with you.
I was given the option of a new VEC for 5yrs or a 6 month extension to my original one. I declined the new VEC as being pretty much pointless as it had a 15day requirement to go out and back in again to activate it, so took the extension. Same price, $10.
They kept passport and said could take between 7 to 10 days. This was done last Monday. Received a message Thursday to go and collect. All done for $10 plus coffee money to district officer etc. Total cost $30.

http://kieubaoviet.vn/uploaded/NA5%20visa%20.pdf

Back in about 2008 when the easy 6 month business visa's went belly up my wife and I controverted over to  VEC's. We used it till a few years ago when at that time my wife reclaimed her VN citizenship and sponsored me for a PRC. Down here in the Delta all that was required was the NA5 signed by a VN citizen that could be a sponsor (who can just about be any Vietnamese, or somebody holding a PRC/TRC) for us and then the local head cop's signature to verify on the NA5 that your a legal resident of where you said you are on the application. Then it was off to immigration. No other support documents were needed or requested. We gave them the NA5's along with our passports waited a few minutes while they reviewed the forms, then gave them about 440.000 VND for both VEC's. Came back in a few hours and picked up our stamped PP's good for another 3 months. Did it for years and years with no problems what so ever. Never made a visa run, and sure as hell never used an agent since we retired here back in 2007. I look at the prices some of you guys are quoting for an extension and just shake my head in amazement that anybody would pay that amount. The procedure is just too easy, and when you get your PP back you know it's street legal.

Rick

Budman1 wrote:
Indices wrote:

http://kieubaoviet.vn/uploaded/NA5%20visa%20.pdf

Back in about 2008 when the easy 6 month business visa's went belly up my wife and I controverted over to  VEC's. We used it till a few years ago when at that time my wife reclaimed her VN citizenship and sponsored me for a PRC. Down here in the Delta all that was required was the NA5 signed by a VN citizen that could be a sponsor (who can just about be any Vietnamese, or somebody holding a PRC/TRC) for us and then the local head cop's signature to verify on the NA5 that your a legal resident of where you said you are on the application. Then it was off to immigration. No other support documents were needed or requested. We gave them the NA5's along with our passports waited a few minutes while they reviewed the forms, then gave them about 440.000 VND for both VEC's. Came back in a few hours and picked up our stamped PP's good for another 3 months. Did it for years and years with no problems what so ever. Never made a visa run, and sure as hell never used an agent since we retired here back in 2007. I look at the prices some of you guys are quoting for an extension and just shake my head in amazement that anybody would pay that amount. The procedure is just too easy, and when you get your PP back you know it's street legal.

Rick

Agree, Rick.

I had a TRC done back in 2009 after the 6-month business visas went belly up. Some places now are quoting 200 usd to stamp a VEC, just highway robbery.

Someone just posted on another site that work permits and TRCs are not going to be extended/renewed at this point in time. Where is the logic in that.

Immigration office is the best option still for Restamping a vec
10 USD + paperwork submitted. Other visas requirements not sure.
Can not see govt charging more

Deleted by self.

Vaneric wrote:

Immigration office is the best option still for Restamping a vec
10 USD + paperwork submitted. Other visas requirements not sure.
Can not see govt charging more

Thats correct, unless your immigration office refuses to do it unless you use an agent, like the Ba Ria office does.

Obviously this question is about after the Virus situation is over but can anyone enlighten me what a......loose leaf visa is & in what circumstances it is issued please.

goodolboy wrote:

Obviously this question is about after the Virus situation is over but can anyone enlighten me what a......loose leaf visa is & in what circumstances it is issued please.

Basically a visa on paper that you carry separate from your passport.

goodolboy wrote:

Basically two types of visas. The one most people get is an adhesive Visa stamp that is affixed on a page in your passport. 

To get one of these Before you depart your home country, you usually need to send your passport into the embassy or consulate, or you need to travel there and present your passport.

When you arrive in Vietnam and receive your Visa on arrival, this is the type of Visa stamp that is put into your passport.

A loose leaf Visa is normally only issued from a consulate or Embassy in your home country.

It's an option that some people have preferred.

In America, the loose-leaf Visa is now being used to process your visa application online with the consulate in San Francisco, without needing to actually mail in your passport as was the previous requirement.

These loose leaf visas can only be delivered to your address in the United States.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Basically two types of visas. The one most people get is an adhesive Visa stamp that is affixed on a page in your passport. 

To get one of these Before you depart your home country, you usually need to send your passport into the embassy or consulate, or you need to travel there and present your passport.

When you arrive in Vietnam and receive your Visa on arrival, this is the type of Visa stamp that is put into your passport.

A loose leaf Visa is normally only issued from a consulate or Embassy in your home country.

In America, the loose-leaf Visa is now being used to process your visa application online with the consulate in San Francisco, without needing to actually mail in your passport as was the previous requirement.

These loose leaf visas can only be delivered to your address in the United States.

OK Thanks so much for explanation..........question.....I am British (UK passport), but am non resident there so no home address. I have however an apartment in Thailand. Can I apply for a loose leaf visa in Thailand & have the visa delivered there for example?
The reason I am asking these question is pretty obvious because 2 pages taken up on my passport every 3 months so it dont take that long to use it up & it would be to my advantage to get one of these loose leaf visas if at all possible.

colinoscapee wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Basically a visa on paper that you carry separate from your passport.

:top:

One piece of info I just checked on with my agent in Hanoi.

In order to get a visa extension, a health declaration form is required.

I tried to get her to give me an estimate of the fee for the extension, but of course it varies greatly based on the type of visa and the length of the extension and the nationality of the foreigner.

Best General estimates she could give me without tying her down to anything specific was this:

"It's about more than 150 US for 1 month single entry , more than 250 US/3 months single entry for tourist visa"

I'm only sharing this because people are saying that fees are outrageous, but they aren't really sharing the amounts

I'm just putting this up here to give a general ballpark figure to people.

Hopefully by shopping around you can find an agent who charges less

goodolboy wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

OK Thanks so much for explanation..........question.....I am British (UK passport), but am non resident there so no home address. I have however an apartment in Thailand. Can I apply for a loose leaf visa in Thailand & have the visa delivered there for example?
The reason I am asking these question is pretty obvious because 2 pages taken up on my passport every 3 months so it dont take that long to use it up & it would be to my advantage to get one of these loose leaf visas if at all possible.

Now you really are going off topic. Probably better to start a new Thread about this.

Otherwise we're going to confuse people who may not realize that the borders are closed and don't know what you're asking right now is not possible currently.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Now you really are going off topic. Probably better to start a new Thread about this.

Otherwise we're going to confuse people who may not realize that the borders are closed and don't know what you're asking right now is not possible currently.

New Topic created, thanks

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Agreed there are options for visa extension in vietnamdue to the virus situation. Even immigration say this is possible.
In my case i have a viss due to expire, which im not that fussed about. But try explaining to the girl behind the counter that i dont want a visa extension an dthat she should turn the page to see the VEC.

Language barrier aside, if she isnt 100% sure then please ask someone else... us stupid foreigners are not as fluent in vietnamese as we should be 😪

On a side note as a another issue - tonight they are planning to stop running transport services
Grab (not sure about food or delivery)
Buses
Godee

Taxis im told will still be working ... something to do with not being a digital transport system
So it wojld seem taxis areimmune to the virus 😉😉

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Agreed there are options for visa extension in vietnamdue to the virus situation. Even immigration say this is possible.
In my case i have a viss due to expire, which im not that fussed about. But try explaining to the girl behind the counter that i dont want a visa extension an dthat she should turn the page to see the VEC.

Language barrier aside, if she isnt 100% sure then please ask someone else... us stupid foreigners are not as fluent in vietnamese as we should be 😪

On a side note as a another issue - tonight they are planning to stop running transport services
Grab (not sure about food or delivery)
Buses
Godee

Taxis im told will still be working ... something to do with not being a digital transport system
So it wojld seem taxis areimmune to the virus 😉😉

Whole experience sounds about right, must have caught the officer at the counter on a rough day, even at the best of times they certainly do not go out of their way to be helpful. But as stated, she is only interested in the current visa, not the VEC which as yet has not been activated so is effectively not worth the page it has taken up.