Chinese and Kenyan Cultural Exchange

Hi everyone,
My name is Myra. I'm a Singaporean Chinese who has recently relocated to Nairobi, Kenya. My husband is a Kenyan and we are thinking of starting:
1. A Chinese and Kenyan Cultural Exchange Group (Understanding the 2 cultures) We hope Chinese and Kenyans who are keen in understanding or sharing their cultures and experiences can join us. We are looking at activities that can enhance the understanding of both cultures.

2. A support group for Chinese and Kenyan couples. Being an interracial couple ourselves, we understand there are challenges and the vast difference between these 2 cultures. We hope through this group they can find support.

Please let me know if you are interested. You can also leave your comments on what you feel about starting these groups.

Thank you!

Islmyra,

I think what you need more is to join a group of mixed culture marriages because if you are too specific your situation may not be as common as you would hope. I know of Japanese ladies married to Kenyan men but I do not want to dwell on your case specific too much as I understand the sensitive nature of it all. I have lived in Singapore so I do understand the culture dynamics.  Within the Kenyan culture, the background of your husband's culture may not be the Kenyan identity that you would hope or think of. in itself the definition of what is Kenyan? is just as complex as defining an African. I hope my input is helpful but feel free to discuss more if you so wish! Best wishes!

Hi Rick,
Thanks for your feedback.It is true that there are some cross-racial marriage groups around. I'm looking at the possibility of starting one that caters more to the chinese kenya couples/families. I hope to start with a small group. I  also came to know of a few chinese-kenyan couples and I do think there may be others who can benefit from this exchange. It's also true that not all Kenyans are the same just as not all the Chinese are the same.I have Kenyan friends from different communities and I can see the diversity. Based on the Kenya China relationship, I do think the idea of cultural exchange is still worth pursuing.

I do highly appreciate your contribution.

Regards,
Myra