Visa/Visa Exemption Certificate - need a border run?

This was a moot point right up until today as I was going back to the US tomorrow but my company just asked that I delay my trip home until this Corona thing settles down as I'd likely spend the bulk of my visit on self-imposed quarantine at home.

I have a DT Visa that I stamped into the country on.  It expires March 19. 

I have now have a VEC for the next 5 years.  I got it a month ago.  Nothing is stamped regarding this VEC.

My question is, since I came in on a DT visa and now have a valid overlapping VEC, do I still need to leave the country on the DT visa and return on the VEC to "activate" it?  Or does the VEC just flat-out trump the current VISA since it is an exemption?  I was thinking I need to leave on the DT and come back on the VEC as something needs to activate the 180 day term on the VEC.  Or would the 180 days start on the January 6 date that I arrived on the DT or even 180 from the issue date of the VEC?

Anyone know for sure?

SteinNebraska wrote:

Or would the 180 days start on the January 6 date that I arrived on the DT or even 180 from the issue date of the VEC?

Anyone know for sure?

I cannot answer the question regarding the visa overlapping, but I can answer the one above with certainty:

The 5 year period starts on the day the VEC is issued which was a month ago in your case.  The 180 day stay starts on the day of your next entry.  Therefore, if you leave on March 18 before the DT expires and returns on May 1, your first 180 days will start on May 1.

This is easy, just look your passport and last stamp, what date is there? Don't matter if you have vec in passport what matter is the stamp from
Immigration. When do you need to go out of the country?

SteinNebraska wrote:

This was a moot point right up until today as I was going back to the US tomorrow but my company just asked that I delay my trip home until this Corona thing settles down as I'd likely spend the bulk of my visit on self-imposed quarantine at home.

I have a DT Visa that I stamped into the country on.  It expires March 19. 

I have now have a VEC for the next 5 years.  I got it a month ago.  Nothing is stamped regarding this VEC.

My question is, since I came in on a DT visa and now have a valid overlapping VEC, do I still need to leave the country on the DT visa and return on the VEC to "activate" it?  Or does the VEC just flat-out trump the current VISA since it is an exemption?  I was thinking I need to leave on the DT and come back on the VEC as something needs to activate the 180 day term on the VEC.  Or would the 180 days start on the January 6 date that I arrived on the DT or even 180 from the issue date of the VEC?

Anyone know for sure?

My VEC was not valid until I left the country and re-entered.

Wald0 wrote:

This is easy, just look your passport and last stamp, what date is there? Don't matter if you have vec in passport what matter is the stamp from
Immigration. When do you need to go out of the country?

Good point.  When I got the DT in country last year it came back to me already stamped and signed March 19, 2019 to March 19, 2020.  I didn't have to leave to get it stamped.  The guy that got it for me got it stamped.  I've come and gone several times since then, stamped at the airport both in and out but that one is the only one marked with dates.  So, I need to leave before March 19.  If I do leave and come back before March 19 how do I make it clear that I want it to be against the VEC to start the 180 day clock, not the Visa that may have some validity left?

Indices wrote:

Thanks.  So looks like my company is buying a weekend vacation somewhere in the next two weeks.

SteinNebraska wrote:
Indices wrote:

Thanks.  So looks like my company is buying a weekend vacation somewhere in the next two weeks.

I don't think your previous visa has any relevance to the VEC when you re-enter but am not an expert, can only relate my own experience. I was told to go out and in again within a 15 day window after being granted the VEC even though my 3 month visa had around a month left on it.

Just checked my old VEC from 2014, it actually has a stamp from immigration on the day it was issued. Maybe things have changed, back then I didnt go out to activate the VEC.

colinoscapee wrote:

Just checked my old VEC from 2014, it actually has a stamp from immigration on the day it was issued. Maybe things have changed, back then I didnt go out to activate the VEC.

Our (my husband's and my) VEC were issued in the States.  They're affixed to our passports and only have a stamp from Vietnam Consulate in Houston over the signature of the Deputy Consul General.  Nothing else. 

The first Immigration stamp in TSN showed that we entered the country on Nov 3 (6 months after the issuance date) with "Permit to remain until May 5".  That stamp was the activation.

In my thinking, we must activate ours at an arrival airport because they're issued outside of VN.  For you and others whose VEC were issued here and included an immigration stamp, such requirement would've been redundant.

But then again, indices "was told to go out and in again within a 15 day window after being granted the VEC" so who knows the reason behind the difference.

Ciambella wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Our (my husband's and my) VECs were issued in the States.  They're affixed to our passports and only have a stamp from Vietnam Consulate in Houston over the signature of the Deputy Consul General.  Nothing else. 

The first Immigration stamp in TSN showed that we entered the country on Nov 3 (6 months after the issuance date) with "Permit to remain until May 5".  That first immigration stamp in was the activation for our VECs.

I'm thinking that perhaps we activate our VECs at an arrival airport because they're issued outside of VN.  For you and others whose VEC were issued here and included an immigration stamp, such requirement would've been redundant.

But then again, indices "was told to go out and in again within a 15 day window after being granted the VEC" so who knows the reason behind the difference.

Like most things here, there is no consistency with the enforcement of laws handed down by Ha Noi.

Safe thing is going to be just fly over to Bangkok or KL, spend a day or two with the wife and come back.  Just checked and tickets to KL are $69 right now.  BKK is $110.

FYI several airlines are offering really good promotions for tickets booked today the 29th and used in the next several months.

SteinNebraska wrote:

Safe thing is going to be just fly over to Bangkok or KL, spend a day or two with the wife and come back.  Just checked and tickets to KL are $69 right now.  BKK is $110.

FYI several airlines are offering really good promotions for tickets booked today the 29th and used in the next several months.

Why not just do a run to Moc Bai?

colinoscapee wrote:

If I have to go I might as well go somewhere with my wife and enjoy an evening as opposed to endure a bus ride.

SteinNebraska wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

If I have to go I might as well go somewhere with my wife and enjoy an evening as opposed to endure a bus ride.

Think I prefer a 6 hour round trip in a car to having to endure airports and all the relative delays especially given the current Covid situation. Stuck in a Duralamin tube at 30 thousand feet surrounded by whoever does not seem very appealing.

SteinNebraska wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

You dont ride a bike, its only a two hour trip from Bien Hoa.

colinoscapee wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

You dont ride a bike, its only a two hour trip from Bien Hoa.

From HCM, including the border paperwork, usually take me 6 hours start to finish.

Indices wrote:

Think I prefer a 6 hour round trip in a car to having to endure airports and all the relative delays especially given the current Covid situation. Stuck in a Duralamin tube at 30 thousand feet surrounded by whoever does not seem very appealing.

Good point.  The same could be said for being crammed together on a bus.  I could ride my motorcycle and make a day out of it.  I read you need to lock it up and leave it on the VN side.  Anyone ever do that?  Risky for theft?  It's a KTM 390 so more expensive than the run of the mill moto.

I guess one other option would be to just pay for a visa extension on my DT visa, right?  Might cost a couple hundred dollars but not having to do a border run would make it worthwhile.

SteinNebraska wrote:
Indices wrote:

Good point.  The same could be said for being crammed together on a bus.  I could ride my motorcycle and make a day out of it.  I read you need to lock it up and leave it on the VN side.  Anyone ever do that?  Risky for theft?  It's a KTM 390 so more expensive than the run of the mill moto.

I have never taken my bike there but anything left anywhere unattended in Vietnam has a fair chance of disappearing, I would never leave my bike somewhere that didn't have goof security. As so as the car is concerned I just park it almost on the border and have never had a problem . ..  but you never know I guess.

SteinNebraska wrote:

I guess one other option would be to just pay for a visa extension on my DT visa, right?  Might cost a couple hundred dollars but not having to do a border run would make it worthwhile.

I have done the Moc Bai run about 10 times, I always taken my bike. I always parked it right near the main building near the immigration guy and never had a problem. No you dont have to leave your bike on the VN side, you can ride it through No Man' s Land and into Cambodia, then turn around and come back.