How do you navigate your expat identity in Ecuador?

Hey guys in Ecuador or wanting to move there,

Fellow expat Stephanie has sent us a piece about how she navigates between her British-ish and her French-ish identity and we thought we would share it with you.

Her opinion piece is featured on our magazine:
Opinion: Does being an expat mean I'll always be the outsider?

We would love to know what you think!

Happy Thursday,
AL

How do you treat immigrants in your country? Just like that

Treat the locals with respect while affirming to yourself that you are an Expat and have a right to your first-country interests. 

Blending in is not really an option, so embrace your Expat status without flaunting it.

cccmedia

If you want to not be an ex-pat, too bad. The locals will remind you of you forget

I make a strong effort to speak Spanish. The Ecuadoreans appreciate it and immediately you move from "expat gringo" to potential "amigo."

Some expats in Ecuador (or any Hispanic country for that matter) don't work to understand and use Spanish?  What would motivate one to move to a country where the primary language is not English and without attempting to learn the primary language?  Isn't that isolating one's self?  If one doesn't attempt to learn and use Spanish isn't that going to assure that one will never "fit in?"

Ethnocentricity is strong in some in the expat community. Online you can get Spanish lessons for free on YouTube. Easy, free, you don't even have to get dressed, or brush your teeth.

I am 6' 1" and way too many pounds, the possibility of me "blending in" anywhere in Ecuador is unlikely at best. 6 months ago when my wife and I moved to Salinas, we had already been working on Spanish for a few months and continue to do so.  But this is who we are, before traveling to a non-english speaking country from the USA, I tried hard to learn the basics in the language of the country, Mandarin by far the most difficult! But as I grow older it is more and more difficult , so I can certainly understand that some people who want to ex-expatriate, for a variety of possible reasons, may not consider it reasonable to learn a new language. And they will be more isolated than those who do/can learn their host country language.
My perspective on this has changed since i moved here. I have met some people, that i enjoyed their company but it was obvious learning a new language was going to be very difficult for them. So, tolerance and understanding?

The best way to blend in is speak only English, talk loud, where bright colored clothing and always comment about the stupidity of the locals. It works great for me.

The magazine HiExpat has various Ecuador topics

among its featured articles in the current editiion,

May-June 2023.

Topics in this magazine, which is currently free

of charge, include...

-- Discovering the Serenity of Ecuador's coastal shores

-- Insurance for Ecuador Expats

-- A detailed look at Ecuador's many holidays

and three-day holiday weekends

-- Culture shocks of Ecuador

-- Best places to visit in Manta

Website... https://www.hi-expat.com/editions