TANZANIA IMPORT TAXES

Hi guys, I'm Allan - born & bread in Dar es Salaam. I'm in my mid 20's and I joined this community a few weeks ago. I'm a full time businessman, I own a shop in Kariakoo, Dar es Salaam. I'm a part time blogger, web developer, author, and hiphop artist😃

I'd like to share my experience on taxes one may face during importation.
-----------------------
1. Duration:
- Small quantity of goods/ individual possessions better addressed as Parcels take 14 to 40 days to reach Dar es Salaam and undergo Customs Clearance process; they are mostly transported by air.
- Larger/bulk quantities which are mostly imported via the Dar es Salaam port take 2 - 3 months. In rare cases it may take 50 days and at times you may have to wait up to 4months.
2. Taxation:
The overall tax assessment rate on imports is as follows:
- Import Duty: 25%
- Excise Duty: Varies. For instance for vehicles you might be charged 5% - 10% (dependant on depreciation) while on other goods it is as high as 50%
- Customs Processing Fee: 0.6%
- Railway Development Levy (RDL): 1.5%
- Trade Levy Zanzibar: Charged on goods that were imported via the Zanzibar port and later brought to Tanzania Mainland
- Value Added Tax (VAT): 18%
- For Capital Goods you won't be charged Import Duty. As for VAT, there are some special cases where you can apply for a refund.

Have a Great Day Ahead!