New members of the Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Hi all,

Newbie on the Puerto Rico forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Puerto Rico if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Greetings all:
We are a couple from Washington state, one retired, one close to retirement. Currently searching for a reasonable house/condo on the north, west and east coasts that is hopefully within walking distance (can be a long walk) from the beach. Would appreciate any guidance on income tax structure in PR for our retirement income that includes Social Security and a pension. Appreciate any tips on best towns to narrow our house search. We enjoy cooking, adventure travel, music and art.

Welcome to the forum.  I'll let others give advice on best towns; my advice is spend some time on the island to get to know the areas.  For such a relatively small island, it is quite diverse.

Regarding income taxes, I'd refer you to IRS Topic 901, found here.  In short, income earned in Puerto Rico is taxed by Puerto Rico, income earned outside (investment income) is subject to federal income tax.

I would recommend the Area of Luquillo there are several condos there close to the beach, about 1 to 2 blocks away. Very nice and a 2 minute drive can take you to Balneario de Luquillo, one of the best beaches with full facilities. Luquillo is in the east of the island around 35 minutes to the airport
You can find condos there between 110 and 160k.

We fell in love with Puerto Rico during our first visit in 2009.  We've returned quite a few times since and are in the process of purchasing a condo in Cabo Rojo.
Any feedback from those of you that are familiar with the area, is welcome and appreciated.