Media culture in the Philippines

Hello everyone,

Being an expatriate in the Philippines is a golden opportunity to discover another culture and explore new perspectives. Each country has a unique radio and TV heritage and we would like to hear your opinion about it !

1. What was the film of the year 2019 for you in the Philippines?
2. Which local TV show is the most popular in the Philippines?
3. Which radio station is the most popular?
4. Which TV host has the best opinion?
5. Finally, what is your favorite radio or TV show? Why?

Thank you so much for your answers and see you soon !

Diksha

1. Saw no movies in 2019
2. ABS-CBN Tv Patrol
3. Don't listen to radio
4. No opinion on tv hosts
5. Magnum PI and Hawaii 5-0  They take place in Hawaii.

Hi guys,

I've deleted some off topic and by the way unpleasant posts from this thread ... I don't like moderating but I had no choice

I hate most modern media.

I think it destroys the mind and that is the purpose.

Seems like much of what is on TV is just a coverup for the work of endocrine disrupting chemicals in everything and rampant abuse that is being normalized. I understand that many will not understand this comment and that is sad and part of the problem.

1. I haven;t seen any Filipino movies since my family and I moved here, except for one, and I watched it in the theater because I wanted to see how our house looked like in the movie as parts of the film were set at our house. A lot of Filipino movies are about young love, rom-coms or heavy drama, of which I am not into, with a few exceptions, of course.

Many western movies are shown here in the Philippines. My favorite in 2019 was Avengers: Endgame.

2. ABS-CBN TV Patrol; GMA News

3. In Metro Manila, probably DWRK 96.3 FM Easy Rock

4. I don't like watching talk shows, not even in the US. (Though I have to say that I like watching The Starters, an NBA / basketball commentary.

5.  I like listening to DWRK 96.3 FM while driving / on the road. 

The only time I have the time to watch TV during weekdays is in the evening. But most TV shows are telenovelas, to which I'm not into because they're so formulaic: poor girl meets rich boy . . . and she becomes rich and lives happily ever after with the rich, or with his once snobby but now reformed brother,  or with his dad, or with his brother-in-law, or with his poor servant boy who is now rich. And in between would be hardships, revenge, face-slapping, etc. LOL.

During my free time in the evening, sometimes I watch shows on Netflix. Almost done with Season 3 of American tv series The Good Place. It's forkingly funny.

I  personally TRY my very best to avoid all local Philippine TV drama productions. Series after series which can run in the 100's of hours, talking about some non-sensensical plot or theme. The local News Network does not reflect many world breaking news events, and if they did on the very rare "Blue Moon" occasion, the "Holy" newscaster will have his own take on these clips which may  include giggles/joking/laughter/music and make a mockery of what was just shown.
The locals seem to love all what I have come to hate & look at me as if I'm the uncivilised guy...maybe its just me or because I don't understand the language yet.(mainly Bisaya in my Region).
Mind you If I do not off the TV these same people especially *young kids (<50) will just keep staring at the "Devils Box" in awe.

Quote : Philippine destiny says :
"TV is just a coverup for the work of endocrine disrupting chemicals in everything and rampant abuse that is being normalized"
Does infact makes some sense here!

But give me an 'American Series' for eg : " Breaking Bad"...wow = those are classics which I've watched over & over again, each time my own endocrine disrupting chemicals everything and rampant abuse that is being normalized works well here,
wonder why!!!!....hahahaha!!!

I dont really bother as life is quite busy as it is and I am not into repeating the life style I left.

manwonder wrote:

I  personally TRY my very best to avoid all local Philippine TV drama productions. Series after series which can run in the 100's of hours, talking about some non-sensensical plot or theme. The local News Network does not reflect many world breaking news events, and if they did on the very rare "Blue Moon" occasion, the "Holy" newscaster will have his own take on these clips which may  include giggles/joking/laughter/music and make a mockery of what was just shown.
The locals seem to love all what I have come to hate & look at me as if I'm the uncivilised guy...maybe its just me or because I don't understand the language yet.(mainly Bisaya in my Region).
Mind you If I do not off the TV these same people especially *young kids (<50) will just keep staring at the "Devils Box" in awe.

Quote : Philippine destiny says :
"TV is just a coverup for the work of endocrine disrupting chemicals in everything and rampant abuse that is being normalized"
Does infact makes some sense here!

But give me an 'American Series' for eg : " Breaking Bad"...wow = those are classics which I've watched over & over again, each time my own endocrine disrupting chemicals everything and rampant abuse that is being normalized works well here,
wonder why!!!!....hahahaha!!!

Better Call Saul S V premiers Feb 23.

Thanks Philippine Destiny;

Saul Goodman, the morally challenged criminal lawyer...he's a real class act!!!
Wun miss his premier for the world.
Thanks again for info!!!

manwonder wrote:

Thanks again for info!!!

How can you have a morally challenger lawyer, after all they take an oath, have ethics parameters, could lose his license.

mugtech wrote:
manwonder wrote:

Thanks again for info!!!

How can you have a morally challenger lawyer, after all they take an oath, have ethics parameters, could lose his license.

I am not touching that.

Philippine Destiny wrote:

Seems like much of what is on TV is just a coverup for the work of endocrine disrupting chemicals in everything and rampant abuse that is being normalized. I understand that many will not understand this comment and that is sad and part of the problem.

Unfortunately I am apparently a plebeian and would well be enlightened if you expand on your thoughts with regard to the above comments and their relationship to the OP's topic "Media culture in the Philippines".
I await your feedback and explanation with regards to your enriched experiences.
Personally I watch little television and have even less time for bias media through all available sources.
OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl wrote:
Philippine Destiny wrote:

Unfortunately I am apparently a plebeian and would well be enlightened if you expand on your thoughts with regard to the above comments and their relationship to the OP's topic "Media culture in the Philippines".
I await your feedback and explanation with regards to your enriched experiences.
Personally I watch little television and have even less time for bias media through all available sources.
OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

I am tired of your attitude today.  You might be used to getting what you want from others, but I do not jump just because someone tells me to. Go watch CNN or FOX and yell at the screen. cheers

and by the way both CNN and FOX can be found on Philippine TV

so it applies

Groan.

bigpearl wrote:

Groan.

"what is the relevance of your comment to the OP's post?"

see? we can all play Spanish Inquisition

Guys guys!!!...pse chill no offence meant & non taken...to each his own view and preference.

My personal opinion is the current 'philippine' drama series really gives me a headache so I try my very best to avoid them all = pse no offence meant to anyone here.

BTW : to me at least;
"Breaking Bad" is to me a classic drama series which when viewed fm my "ROSE" coloured specs.

Cheers & Chill

Media here is Rowan and Martin

manwonder wrote:

Guys guys!!!...pse chill no offence meant & non taken...to each his own view and preference.

My personal opinion is the current 'philippine' drama series really gives me a headache so I try my very best to avoid them all = pse no offence meant to anyone here.

BTW : to me at least;
"Breaking Bad" is to me a classic drama series which when viewed fm my "ROSE" coloured specs.

Cheers & Chill

Breaking Bad was big in the Philippines.

I read Vince Gilligan's bio a few years back. I also saw what he believes about morality and consequences. Breaking Bad is a morality tale. Walt was so hell bent on making money, but all of it came to nothing and he lost everything. Everyone in the series was captivated by some fatal character flaw that they followed to their own destruction.  And Walt led many people to his own fate.

The character that I like the most was Mike. He had a moral code and he lived by it.

Next to him is that old guy ho sold the guns. He just seemed like good people.

It's like Mike and the gun dude recognized the world for what it is and did not try to pretend that it is something else. They played the world's game by their own rules.

Walt had no rules. He broke everyone's rules.

And in the end he died with his true love

the lab

watch it here https://www.netflix.com/ph/title/70143836

Thanks Philippine Destiny for your feedback...yes agreed its all about life in general, and as you said its about morality and consequences.
Anyways it will go down as one of the best/classic drama series I've ever watched.

I tend to avoid any expensive subscription channels - always have.  So I've missed some of the big blockbuster series. And we don't watch  any TV, especially goofy/high drama Filipino TV. Do have a Netflix subscription that we all indulge in from time to time. The kids watch their stuff, my girl loves rom-coms and I watch adventure stuff if it's not too violent but most is now, unfortunately.