Can TRC be transferred to New passport?

Hi. I'm getting a new passport since my old one expires soon. Will my TRC (work) be transferred to my new passport or should I apply for a new one? Your opinions/knowledge regarding this matter will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

thewizard03 wrote:

Hi. I'm getting a new passport since my old one expires soon. Will my TRC (work) be transferred to my new passport or should I apply for a new one? Your opinions/knowledge regarding this matter will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

TRC's dont go in your passport, its a blue card you keep separately.

As colinoscapee said, TRC document is a separate one unlike the VEC or Visa which pasted in passported so I think you should re apply for a fresh one or use it with the old passport when needed. Yeah, you should carry the cancelled passport until the expiry of old TRC.

You're right guys. Sorry, my bad. What I meant to say was, is my TRC with my old passport number still valid after getting a new passport? Can I still use it?

Im surprised you were given a TRC that has an expiratiin date longer than your passport, something is not right here.

colinoscapee wrote:

Im surprised you were given a TRC that has an expiratiin date longer than your passport, something is not right here.

He probably orders a new passport before the old one expires completely.

I need a new TRC this fall.
My passport is still valid until 2023.
But this summer I will apply for a new passport so that the new TRC is valid for 3 years.
Maybe I will also try a 5-year VEC.

AkaMaverick wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

He probably orders a new passport before the old one expires completely.

But this summer I will apply for a new passport so that the new TRC is valid for 3 years.

He did say soon, which to me as a native speaker means a short amount of time. Hence why I asked how his TRC could be greater than his passport.

AkaMaverick wrote:

TLDR: After your 3 year TRC expires, get another 3 year TRC (or whatever they are issuing then.)

A VEC is only for people without a TRC. The TRC has more power.
With only a VEC, you have to leave the country every 180 days (that's what mine says, if you google "visa exemption certificate vietnam" and look at images, some are 90 days). Also a TRC has other benefits.

With a VEC and a TRC, the VEC is moot. When I come through immigration, the green uniformed one just looks at my exit stamp and my TRC. (After I got married, I first got a VEC, then got a TRC because that was the suggested path of execution on expat.com 4 years ago.)

gobot wrote:
AkaMaverick wrote:

TLDR: After your 3 year TRC expires, get another 3 year TRC (or whatever they are issuing then.)

A VEC is only for people without a TRC. The TRC has more power.
With only a VEC, you have to leave the country every 180 days (that's what mine says, if you google "visa exemption certificate vietnam" and look at images, some are 90 days). Also a TRC has other benefits.

With a VEC and a TRC, the VEC is moot. When I come through immigration, the green uniformed one just looks at my exit stamp and my TRC. (After I got married, I first got a VEC, then got a TRC because that was the suggested path of execution on expat.com 4 years ago.)

So far I am also satisfied with my TRC.

But since I go to Bangkok or Singapore more than once a year anyway, I thought 5 years is better because of the renewal of my driving licence.

But if the TRC is less complicated at the immigration at the airport I will apply for a TRC again.

My passport expires in April 2023 and my TRC in November 2020.
If I would not renew my passport before then I would get a TRC which is only valid for 2.5 years.
Therefore I want a new passport 2.5 year before it expires.

Sorry again guys. My passport expires this October but I have to apply a new one this February. My TRC expire this September.

Sorry again guys. My passport expires this October but I have to apply a new one this February. My TRC expire this September.

thewizard03 wrote:

Apply for your new passport in July and once you receive it apply for your new TRC.