Looking for a housekeeper in Tagaytay

Can anyone recommend a reliable and honest helper for a live in position - large house at Tagaytay, British/Filipino retired couple, no children? Being able to drive would be an asset.

HI Jonnyboy
I'm an American expat in Quezon City and I have a live in housekeeper available and she is very familiar with Tagaytay! She has been with me for three years and is very reliable and hard worker very task orientated, She is fluent in English as she was married to an American and lived in Orange county CA. If interested send me a private message and we can arrange whatever works for you! I am getting married and moving to Bohol and Elena doesn't want to move there!

Hi lasvegan

Thanks for the fast response, I appreciate it - I was anticipating sarcastic comments like "where can you find a reliable and honest maid in the Philippines" LOL, but I know they exist having lived here for 12 years.

Can you give me a number where we can call you - don't post here but my email is XXX

We can then talk and my wife can speak with Elena.

Best regards

Jonnyboy

Moderated by Julien 4 years ago
Reason : for your own safety, please use the private message system to share your contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
lasvegan wrote:

HI Jonnyboy
I'm an American expat in Quezon City and I have a live in housekeeper available and she is very familiar with Tagaytay! She has been with me for three years and is very reliable and hard worker very task orientated, She is fluent in English as she was married to an American and lived in Orange county CA. If interested send me a private message and we can arrange whatever works for you! I am getting married and moving to Bohol and Elena doesn't want to move there!

Getting married huh? My congratulations! And who´s the unlucky lady? :lol:

Hi lasvegan

For some reason my reply to you was not sent. I asked if there's a number where I can call you and my wife can speak to Elana. Rather than than post your number on this open forum I suggested you can contact me by private message

Hope you get this message OK

Regards. . . . Jonnyboy

Messages with contact details are removed as soon as seen.

Thanks Fred. . . . I didn't no that

Hi lasvegan

I've sent you two replies both have been 'blocked' - A member has kindly pointed out because I gave you my email address it's not allowed?

How can we speak - we are very interested in talking with you asap; any suggestions? How can I contacted you privately?

Regards. . . .Jonnyboy

Hi Jonnyboy
I got your reply before the censors could block it! So chalk up one for the goodguys!!
I am waiting on Elena to decide what she wants to do! I will email you more tomorrow with contact info. Sorry for the hold up but I think everything will work out fine!
Regards
Dennis

You can PM each other.

Hi Dennis. . . . .

That sounds good. I hope she's interested and think she could be happy here. We have another live in too, so she will not be lonely.

Will wait for your contact tomorrow.. . .. best regards. . . . .Mike

If you don't find someone good I'll do it. I expect top pay and no nagging about my laziness.

Hello all.
I thought this might be the place to ask how much a month is fair salary for housemaid  (1) live in  (2) 7am-7pm, 5 days a week ?.  Area:  Mactan, Cebu. No children. Thank you in anticipation.
regards  Bruce

GoDees wrote:

Hello all.
I thought this might be the place to ask how much a month is fair salary for housemaid  (1) live in  (2) 7am-7pm, 5 days a week ?.  Area:  Mactan, Cebu. No children. Thank you in anticipation.
regards  Bruce

Governed by law.

https://www.bwsc.dole.gov.ph/programs-a … bahay.html

According to that table from DOLE, as of September 2018 and for that region (region 7) cities and 1st class municipalities is 3000PHP per month.2500 PHP for other municipalities.

verify

Tagaytay are it's 7000

jonnyboy wrote:

Tagaytay are it's 7000

Is that market driven?

Because they minimum required by DOLE seems to be less than that.

It's a question of supply and demand but that's what we have to pay ours.

Whatever you pay, it's still difficult to find one that you can trust. Certainly my experience, having lived here for 12 years is that we expats are more 'targets' than 'employers' - it does how well they are treated, at some stage they are tempted because in their eyes we foreigners 'are all rich and can afford'

Kindness and help and consideration, things that our natural at home, is seen as 'weakness'

"It's a question of supply and demand but that's what we have to pay ours."

Market driven.

"Whatever you pay, it's still difficult to find one that you can trust. Certainly my experience, having lived here for 12 years is that we expats are more 'targets' than 'employers' - it does how well they are treated, at some stage they are tempted because in their eyes we foreigners 'are all rich and can afford'

Kindness and help and consideration, things that our natural at home, is seen as 'weakness'

I had a good experience with my maid in the Philippines. My kindness, generosity and consideration was appreciated. I wasn´t flashy and was humble and didn´t behave like I had it all, and that probably toned down her demands and more expectations. Of course if she saw that I had too much in abundance she would have liked to be a part of that. Again it´s an instinct of "self preservation." Even my dog have that where he would eat first the food of others - preserving his share and when everything is exhausted only then would he eat his food that´s on his plate.

That´s why a thorough interview is needed citing the needs of both, including expectations, need of trust and a just salary according to workload and hours to be rendered. As long as her needs are met, there should be no need to keep looking for another employment. If she doesn´r deliver you should be firm and fire ASAP. You´re the boss.

You are just unlucky not finding the right one. There are good ones out there that you can eventually trust and appreciate your goodness. Their pay is really very very low. It appears even like slavery. You can´t find that anywhere except in Africa. Be kind and good!

robal

Interesting topic with some good thoughts and obvious pitfalls thrown in, good luck. We will probably never have live in hired help but the thought has crossed my mind so never say never.
I read an article from another blog yesterday, the guy happens to be the migration agent/professional that we used some 7 years ago to secure a partnership visa to Australia and I still follow his blog/input.

I do hope Jeff doesn't mind me sharing his insight into hired help, nannies and yayas, his personal experience and thoughts.
An interesting read.

https://tinyurl.com/wvzttt6

Cheers, Steve.

Hi Steve

Thanks for your comments.

My previous post was a reflection on other peoples experiences, not ours. We've had live in help since retiring here 12 years ago, mainly because I'm slightly disabled, and we've been lucky but friends and neighbors have not been so lucky.. . . .Cheers

Well done jonnyboy, don't let them go.

Cheers, Steve.

I have heard the suggestion that if you do hire a live in helper get someone from far away who has no family nearby.

We have never had a helper and probably will not for a long time, but when we do we I can see the logic in that suggestion.

Philippine Destiny wrote:

I have heard the suggestion that if you do hire a live in helper get someone from far away who has no family nearby.

We have never had a helper and probably will not for a long time, but when we do we I can see the logic in that suggestion.

Interesting thought and I have seen this thrown up many times before both here and plenty of other sites.
My/our thoughts are opposite, family, even friends are accountable within the/that cloak, I see it daily with small things as well as big ticket items. Family in PH. from my observations holds more water than some person off the street 500 kilometres away with a glowing resume and perhaps it's time that us westerners could do the same,,,,,,, as was normal in the middle of the last century.
OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl wrote:

Interesting thought and I have seen this thrown up many times before both here and plenty of other sites.
My/our thoughts are opposite, family, even friends are accountable within the/that cloak, I see it daily with small things as well as big ticket items. Family in PH. from my observations holds more water than some person off the street 500 kilometres away with a glowing resume and perhaps it's time that us westerners could do the same,,,,,,, as was normal in the middle of the last century.
OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Someone I cannot name disagrees. She says that there would be a lot of gossip even if there was nothing to gossip about. Every little thing would be criticized and picked apart. Tsismis in overdrive.

And I also know someone who hired a helper based upon this philosophy. They flew her in from another province. She lasted a few months and then she was out.

For us and for now at least  the best policy is to do without.

bigpearl wrote:

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Someone I cannot name disagrees. She says that there would be a lot of gossip even if there was nothing to gossip about. Every little thing would be criticized and picked apart. Tsismis in overdrive.

And I also know someone who hired a helper based upon this philosophy. They flew her in from another province. She lasted a few months and then she was out.

Your opening comment? "Someone I cannot name disagrees." I care little for that persons name nor their opinion but would ask if you yourself have an opinion and if so what is it or simply guided by gossip?

"And I also know someone who hired a helper based upon this philosophy. They flew her in from another province. She lasted a few months and then she was out."

Was that based on my philosophy (family local)  or some other idea that aunt Jane that is the third cousin removed would/could be a good helper? BTW you have to fly her in and out.
We all have our own opinions but here say and gossip has to go to the back, boots on the ground etc. as other members have shown/reiterated.
Great info from fellow members with regards to hired help.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl wrote:
bigpearl wrote:

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Your opening comment? "Someone I cannot name disagrees." I care little for that persons name nor their opinion but would ask if you yourself have an opinion and if so what is it or simply guided by gossip?

"And I also know someone who hired a helper based upon this philosophy. They flew her in from another province. She lasted a few months and then she was out."

Was that based on my philosophy (family local)  or some other idea that aunt Jane that is the third cousin removed would/could be a good helper? BTW you have to fly her in and out.
We all have our own opinions but here say and gossip has to go to the back, boots on the ground etc. as other members have shown/reiterated.
Great info from fellow members with regards to hired help.

Cheers, Steve.

I was giving examples from both sides. No need for you to get upset. I can see that you are taking this personally.

But I will say that anything stated in an Internet forum is no better than hearsay. Even your boots on the ground.

This forum is about a multiplicity of ideas and letting people look at the situation and decide for themselves.

Your experience will not necessarily translate to another person's situation. Same is true for what I said.

And for this reason your "experience" is no more valid than the ideas that I put forward.

Let the reader decide.

LMFAO, I am not upset nor queasy.
Some members offer real life experiences for the benefit of members while others offer hypotheticals and even cr*p foisted from those that have no idea and proffer here say, one may think we are in church?

Realistically all should go back to the OP's post, stay on track and offer pertinent advice relevant to the initial ask.
Perhaps a new post or several can be started based on hypotheticals and here say regarding lowly opinions of hired help?

Cheers, Steve.

Steve . . . .

This is indeed a difficult subject and I don't think there's a "right" or a  "wrong" view. The only opinions that matter are from people with personal experience! and it also depends on where you are located.

bigpearl wrote:

LMFAO, I am not upset nor queasy.
Some members offer real life experiences for the benefit of members while others offer hypotheticals and even cr*p foisted from those that have no idea and proffer here say, one may think we are in church?

Realistically all should go back to the OP's post, stay on track and offer pertinent advice relevant to the initial ask.
Perhaps a new post or several can be started based on hypotheticals and here say regarding lowly opinions of hired help?

Cheers, Steve.

There are a lot of comments like mine. In this instance I have no personal experience, but I have second hand experience and I shared it. There are plenty of hypotheticals mentioned here. Do you bird dog all of them or just mine?

But I will not change my way of doing simply because it upsets you. So I guess we can look forward to the back and forth from now on.

I have lived full time in the Philippines for ten years.

I have been visiting the Philippines for almost twenty years.

I know hundreds of Filipinos. Most of my living family are Filipino.

My hypotheticals (not really hypothetical in this case but rather 2nd hand facts to be precise) are more accurate than a lot of people's boots on the ground.

Not saying that is the case in this instance, but my comments above come from Filipinos who do have experience with house helpers (as I do not).

A fair minded person would not be so casual about throwing it out.