VIETNAM VISA FOR MY ELDERLY MOTHER

My mother is 95 years old. She wants to visit Vietnam with me (her son). Would there be a problem at the Vietnam immigration clearance desk if she arrives with a visitor visa because of her age? I appreciate any comments/

No. But I'd get her visa ahead of time by visiting or mailing the Consulate.

Thank you WXX3. My mother is  long way from a Vietnamese Consulate ( a 1 day journey.  I have used a Vietnamese online service to get my visas. Would this be ok for my mother?

Sincerely
Gary

Kytain wrote:

Thank you WXX3. My mother is  long way from a Vietnamese Consulate ( a 1 day journey.  I have used a Vietnamese online service to get my visas. Would this be ok for my mother?

Sincerely
Gary

If you are nervous about your mother being turned away at the gate, you should probably steer clear of third party providers who will give you a letter and not an actual visa which she will have to get on arrival.  You can just as easily, and maybe for less money, obtain a visa for her from a VN embassy or consulate.  Your bio says that you are a UK citizen (subject?) living in the US.  May we assume that your mother is with you or is she in the UK? 

If she is in the US may I recommend the San Francisco consulate as they seem very cooperative over the phone, unlike the embassy.  https://vietnamconsulate-sf.org/en/cate … -services/  You could call them to be sure that they will issue visas for third nation passports.

If she is in the UK you still should be able to obtain a visa from London without actually going to the embassy.  http://vietnamembassy.org.uk/index.php? … 0residents

Personally, I like the idea of a government issued visa glued firmly in the passport, not some letter from a private company.

If you live near a Vietnamese community in the US, ask if they know of a place that can do visa. I went to my local Vietnamese restaurant here in Los Angeles and the guy pointed me to a Vietnamese travel agent and I had him do my 5 year visa. He didn't even take my passport, just made a photocopy and I got the visa in less than 2 weeks. Not sure your timing situation. The surprising thing was that it only cost me I think $110 total.

qnbui wrote:

...the guy pointed me to a Vietnamese travel agent and I had him do my 5 year visa. He didn't even take my passport, just made a photocopy and I got the visa in less than 2 weeks. Not sure your timing situation. The surprising thing was that it only cost me I think $110 total.

Vietnamese travel agents are a good option but only, as you said, if you live near or in a Vietnamese community.  As for price, my 5-year VEC was $70 from the SF consulate plus another odd $15 for stamps.  My postage was two way as I prefer the glued-in visa.  You paid about a $25 premium for convenience and having him do the mailing, not a bad deal at all:top:

Kytain wrote:

Sincerely
Gary

As long as your mother doesn't get overawed once she turns up at the visa desk. At her age someone will surely help her get through it.

I would send her passport to the closest embassy to save any hassles.

I think another thing you might want to take into consideration is if your mother can handle the long flights. Select a center aisle seat for her near the restroom. The restrooms are tiny so that is another thing to consider. Not sure about the first class restroom, never flew first class.