Shipping Furniture from NY to Nairobi in 2020

There  are few posts on shipping from US to Nairobi from a few years ago. I'd like to get current information as I think shipping would be more economical than buying all my furniture there. Please share your thoughts. Thank you.

Unless you are a returning resident, duty will be applicable and can quickly mount up, making the prospect of shipping your effects a lot less attractive/economically viable.

Thank you. How might I find out these costs?

Duty is generally calculated on the basis of cost (value of item) + insurance + freight (cost of).  There are quite a few different charges.

It also depends upon the circumstances under which you are moving to Kenya, so returning residents, diplomats and those with work permits have a 3 month time frame in which to import household effects duty free, provided the items are over a year old and a 'reasonable quantity' - resale is not permitted, but not sure how they can police this.  Most electronics are not duty free under most circumstances.

The rules are quite complicated and if I remember correctly, from our own experience, customs officers try to argue that your goods are new (if they are in good condition) and to charge duty on them.

There is a lot of information on the internet, or you can make an equity with KRA or a shipping agent (you will need one of these in any case).

Also bear in mind how you are going to transport your effects from Mombasa.  Transport is quite expensive.  The costs of importing household effects (irrespective of duty) can mount up quickly, when you get into costing the whole process from packing in one country to unpacking in another.

In reality, when we first moved to Kenya in 2004, the house we rented was unfurnished.  Our household effects took approx 3 months to arrive, so we were obliged to buy a set of basic furniture, cooker, fridge and so, on on our first day, just so that we could cook, sleep etc.  So, also bear this in mind and plan on what you are going to do while you wait for your effects to turn up.

Thank you for your thorough reply.

Hello,
Please feel free to request for a free quotation on your goods.
Regards