Hi, another newbie question

So I see where CR government wants to assure new arrivals have the financial security to live without being a burden to the system, our situation is this...my wife has a substantial 401k but will not have access to it for another 10years. in the meantime we will have the proceeds from the sale of our home(most of which will go towards a new home there) and my modest SS benefits...will the powers that be factor in the future 401k when determining our eligibility?

thanks and glad I found this forum

Eddie

Suggest you read this info, regarding applying for legal residency, if you haven't already done so.

I am fairly sure they will only count the money you have in a guaranteed pension for life, like Social Security. You will need at least $1,000 a month.
Note that if you apply for residency as anything other than pensionado you are likely to pay a much higher monthly health insurance fee. Although it seems this is not always the case, but usually the case. Go figure.

When very low premiums are quoted by long time residents, this is because their monthly fees have been 'grandfathered' by CAJA.

Hi edmund94021,

Your 401k will be worthless very shortly. I would liquidate it take whatever loss I have to and reinvest where it will be safe from the World Financial Collapse.

Sit tight. Everything is cyclical. Remember 2008. Those who panicked lost. Those who reinvested or invested for the first time with counsel made bank. Panic, push and shove will get you killed; deep breath,

Caution is advised but panic is to be avoided . The world will return to normal.  Time to truly invest with the belief all will return to normal aS it always has

I'm not an investor so maybe I know nothing.
My friend said, "My financial advisor said I needed to stay in the market and not sell my stocks. But my brother - who's a rich attorney - said he's selling half to make sure he doesn't lose ALL."

He asked me my opinion.
I said, "If I were you I'd take out half like your brother did. You can always re-invest it. But if you lose all, then what?"

Costa Rica has hundreds, possibly thousand of 'developments' that failed in 2008. All that remain in many instances, are fancy gates.

Personally, at this time,, I would advise not to purchase property.  If you are intending to move here, visit first, then come and rent, rent, rent for the time being.

DO NOT SELL your investments. Time in the market is better than timing the market.
Sit tight and wait.