16 Years in China

Hi Everyone

Actually I am here as I have a dire need. I am all but forced to retire due to new laws restricting the age one can work to in China, and have to return to the UK by the end of August 2019. I am hoping to find a decent rental property back in the UK - but the post dealing with that request is elsewhere.
I have been here a long time, and have worked at various levels. Anecdotes abound along with advice (based solely on my experience and opinion), so; if I can be of help please ask
In the meanwhile, all the best if you are still working here or about to
David

Yes, it is really sad. I understand. I am sort of in the same boat, more or less.

The solution is to look at alternative options to stay in China. There are many.

You can marry a Chinese gal and reside under a Q2. You can provide an extraordinary service and be awarded citizenship, or you can explore periodic visits from a neighborhood nation.

For all your age, experience and wisdom, I am sure that you can find creative solutions to your dilemma. I do not know what they would be, but what I do know is that your determination and desire to stay will factor large in the obtainment of that desire. Best regards.

dlbarnard:

Listen to Vannrox, he has some good advice.  I am over the limit so to speak but I work for an amazing company and they have kept me on and we are working to get my green card..who knows may happen.

Meantime, if you can find a company that will keep you employed then by all means do it.  It's something you should have thought about before you reached 60.  After 60 it's harder but sometimes our company can do it.  If you PM me I can check to see if it's possible.

A few things to consider, are you in good health?  Do you offer a talent, or experience that would make an employer wish to keep you?  Are you seeking a high wage (forget it where I live, LOL) ?  Are you flexible?

All of these questions matter, also why do you want to stay?  For many of us staying is because going back home (wherever that may be) is often not a viable option.  I know for me it's just too expensive to live back in the US...I can live cheaper and better in China. 

So good luck and if you wish to pursue coming to the cold north of China PM me.

LRai