I got fired for making friends with the local populace

Hi there,

I am from South Africa and I have been waiting for my teaching job here in a town near Vinh.

I have been waiting almost 2 months to start work with a center. My boss found me having dinner with a local family and he was not impressed. He was actually furious, he refused to talk to me. This happened last night. Today, I was called into his office and I was met with an "Immigration Officer". I was told that my work visa will be canceled and I will have to leave the country to get another visa within a week of getting my passport back.

He said I broke his rules as I should not be communicating with the local populace as it gives them English practice for free. I have not yet signed a contract with this man as the contract would only be ready on the 17th of June. He states it was illegal that I was talking with the locals as if the authorities find out, I would be fined and so would his company.

I had just got my work visa yesterday, I had given my boss my passport so he could see it. I left my passport with him (I take it as this is a huge mistake). He says I will get it back on Tuesday/Wednesday next week. I am worried he is going to threaten me with my passport in the future.

Is what he is doing even allowed? I am not in my country so I don't think I am in a position to stand my ground when I don't know the laws around here.

Hi Shyzzs, welcome to the forum  :)

Even if you are not in your country, you can contact your embassy : http://www.dirco.gov.za/hanoi/consularservices.html

They should be able to look after your interests or atleast guide you.

All the best,
Bhavna

This is beyond ridiculous. Do you even want to work for a  school /boss  that usurps the authority to tell what to do and who you can talk to in your free time? Get your passport back and move on.

Agreed... completely stupid, but as he has the power to ask for the cancellation of your visa, there's no point to argue... at least right now.

Get your passport immediately, you didn't sign your contract yet, so there's no reason is keeping your passport. There's NEVER a good reason to let anybody keep your passport, except authorities.
Most of the time, they only need to do a copy!

Then leave the country immediately and come back with a 3 months with a DL visa.
And if anything goes wrong, go to the police / call your embassy/consulate

Where do you live. This is ***. If you live in Thanh HOA I will help you. I have been living here for 5 years.  My phone no ***

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Posting contact details on the forum is not allowed + foul language
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I am an American and if he pulled this *** on me I would march into his office and give him all of 5 minutes to give me my passport. Vietnam needs outside money to keep this country  afloat so if other expats are treated this way , well what can I say. BTW I was here in 1967-71 to free people from this type of ****!!

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Foul language
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Can we please refrain from bad language and political expression.

Hey Fred, I trying to help this guy out and he needs to stand up for his rights no matter what country you are in

The OP posted, returned a week ago to look at the thread, but didn't post.
Doesn't seem to be a lot of point getting angry about something we only have one side of and the OP seems to have lost interest in.

You need to talk to him with other Vietnamese friends. He is out of line. There is no rule you cannot socialize with the locals. He cannot legally control your life. Get your visa! He has no right to it! He can get a copy if needed with your educational docs etceterra... The original belongs to you. Your new here. If your staying in his building, maybe this is why he has your visa. Go to a hotel...and yes...they will need to hold your visa... If he could he would have you in a room, on a lease, and only allowed to advertise your foreigner face to attract customers. Find another job.