Amidst the Brexit suspense in Northern Ireland

Hi everyone, me again. Hope you are all doing well and the weather in Northern Ireland is treating you well (for a change!). I'm just checking in to see how our expats in Northern Ireland are doing amidst the Brexit confusion. Actually, we are working on an piece for our Expat Magazine trying to find out what the mood is amongst expatriates in Northern Ireland while negotiations are going on.

-Are you closely following the developments?
-Are you relieved that Brexit might be postponed or you would like to know once and for all what is going to happen?
-Is the suspense stressful for expatriates in Northern Ireland?

Thanks! Do not hesitate to respond to this thread or to send me a private message!

One piece of advice for when you come to write your opus magnum, make sure you're well aware of 'the troubles' as that pathetic, hate filled, historical mess of epic proportions has a lot to do with today's dog's breakfast we know as Brexit.

Hey Fred, I guess it isn't Britain's magnum opus, is it? haha However, I do want to point out that we really do not want to go into the itsy-bitsies of Brexit. Seeing as we focus on expatriates and the expat experience, we are trying to address expat feeling during the Brexit confusion.

Thanks, though Fred!

The big thing in both the North and the South is the border, and the troubles have a massive colouring job on thoughts about that issue, something that will make a great difference to expats on both sides of the border if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.
Nobody wants a border because it harks back to the violence, but there has to be a border (or reunification of North and South) if the UK goes no deal.
Basically, a border expats can cross without so much as a second glance at the moment will become a customs post, or there is likely to be a lot of violence, another big headache for expats.
That leaves expats on both sides of the border with a headache.

Some context; there are 270 public roads that cross the 310 miles border between Ireland and Northern Ireland, only 17 of which ever had a customs post.  Pre-EU and the Good Friday agreement, there was already "free-movement" for people and goods if they wished it - nothing has changed.