Leaving California Taxation

I'm planning on moving to the Philippines this summer, and would like to make sure I am no longer a California resident subject to CA tax rates. I know to cancel my voter registration, change my address everywhere to my Manila PO Box, including on my 2019 tax return.

Should I establish residence in another state before leaving? My driver's license expires in December and I won't renew it, but is it a good idea to register to vote and get a drivers' license in another (no/low tax) state.

What have others done?

Thanks in advance

I came to Philippines to live from California in 2015. I was resident California for 26 years. Of course for 2016 I file taxes. Both federal and Cali for time I earn pay in California for 2015.

for 2016 for federal only not California. Because I was living with a relative in Philippines and did not have an address here. I used my son address in California.

Because I used his address in California for federal that caused a red flag. And California contacted me to pay taxes or send them a form that stated I did not earn income there. I did that and matter was solved. They send me the form I needed to give me stated I did not earn income in Cali for 2016.

My point in that if they contact you they will send you a form where you just filled it out and send back. After that they want contact you any longer. I came here with California drivers license. I just let it expire over time.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Wayne, that definitely helps.

Anyone else with actual experience?

My accountant sent me a "CHECKLIST TO HELP DETERMINE CALIFORNIA
RESIDENCY/NONRESIDENCY," some questions that are commonly asked by the FTB to help determine whether a taxpayer is a resident or nonresident of California.

I can make that available if you PM an email address, I can't see how to post it here as I don't have a url for it. There is also FTB Publication 1031 Guidelines for Determining Resident Status