New Visa - Assume I'll need a border run?

I'm coming back Saturday on my current DN visa.  It expires 4/1/19.  As soon as I get back I'm getting a DT (business investor) visa.  I am not coming back to the US until 5/1.  Will I have to do a border run after I get my DT visa and go out of the country on the DN visa I came in with and then back into the country on my new DT visa?  I can't come in on one visa and leave under an overlapping visa, correct?  Would be nice if I could. 

One other thing, I'm getting my DT visa from an agent there that is friends with my business partner.  I know that his day job is "with the government" but beyond that I don't know what he does but he's somewhat connected.  Is there any chance that he can get me stamped in on the new visa if I'm already here on another visa?  Just trying to avoid a border run as unlikely as that seems.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

SteinNebraska wrote:

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Yes. 

Your new visa requires you to enter at certain places, usually airports.

It really is a new visa.

It is not in any way, shape or form an extension of your other visa.

You MUST leave the country in order to enter on your new visa.

As to the connection in the government, you are basically soliciting information here regarding a blatantly illegal act.

Don't be surprised if ADMIN modifies or deletes your post.

I didn't know if it could be illegal, wasn't my intent.  I just thought if they had both visas that the government entity issuing the visa could stamp it.  No worries.

Second, you said airport.  Would a normal border run to Cambodia be OK to exit on the current visa and re-enter on the new one?  Will it actually say "airport entry" or will any border entry cover it?

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

As to the connection in the government, you are basically soliciting information here regarding a blatantly illegal act..........Don't be surprised if ADMIN modifies or deletes your post.

I think this business of discussing illegal but everyday activities in Vietnam was pretty thoroughly hashed out not too long before you came on this forum.  Forum rules do prohibit discussing illegal activity but the general consensus, if you will allow me to interpret, was that as things like bribery of people like traffic cops and immigration officials are pretty much common practice in Vietnam, for both expats and locals, that it is suitable to discuss them when appropriate.  Now nobody is going to discuss buying or selling Fentanyl, but minor bribery is simply a fact of life as distasteful as it may be.

SteinNebraska wrote:

I didn't know if it could be illegal, wasn't my intent.  I just thought if they had both visas that the government entity issuing the visa could stamp it.  No worries.

Second, you said airport.  Would a normal border run to Cambodia be OK to exit on the current visa and re-enter on the new one?  Will it actually say "airport entry" or will any border entry cover it?

The answers to your questions revolve around your new visa (or the approval letter for it).

I believe E-visas allow entry at virtually all border crossings (based on the March newsletter from the American Embassy that I read yesterday) but it was my experience that a Visa On Arrival letter required me to enter at a few specific airports.

I suggest contacting the visa agent who is helping your partner obtain the NEW visa and ask specifically where you are allowed to enter the country.

When you exit the country, you will do so on your old visa, by ground or air.

THIGV wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

As to the connection in the government, you are basically soliciting information here regarding a blatantly illegal act..........Don't be surprised if ADMIN modifies or deletes your post.

I think this business of discussing illegal but everyday activities in Vietnam was pretty thoroughly hashed out not too long before you came on this forum.  Forum rules do prohibit discussing illegal activity but the general consensus, if you will allow me to interpret, was that as things like bribery of people like traffic cops and immigration officials are pretty much common practice in Vietnam, for both expats and locals, that it is suitable to discuss them when appropriate.  Now nobody is going to discuss buying or selling Fentanyl, but minor bribery is simply a fact of life as distasteful as it may be.

Thanks.

I disagree.

I see each thread as a potential resource for some future newbie doing a keyword search.

They don't know anything about past discussions.

They are looking for specific input regarding their specific issue.

If a thread includes misinformation or a faulty hypothesis, it is a good thing to red flag it, even though people such as yourself have already decided to ignore it.