Rincon? San Juan? Opinions?

Hello,

We are planning on moving to PR in September. I'm having a hard time narrowing down possible cities to move. We are in love with the whole island. I thought maybe you guys could help. Spanish isn't a problem as I'm fluent. Our main priority in regards to location is having access to surf. (My better half is a semi pro surfer so this is a must). Our finances are comfortable but on the lower end so nothing to expensive. We don't mind city life or slower island time. Scuba is a huge plus for me. Don't want to be too secluded, restaurants, bars, etc would be nice to have close. Love anything outdoors. I know Rincon is the surf capitol but I'm having the hardest time finding anything for rent there. Any recommendations?

Try aguada, if you want to be near rincon.
The rents have gone up all over the island  since the hurricane.  Very crazy
You can check out aguadilla you want a cheaper rent and be close to surfing

There is some scuba all over the island, however the hottest spots are in the east of the island where there are plenty of mini islands and associated coral reefs. Also the East side is the gateway to other non-us territory islands. So if you like boating there are plenty of places to go.

Rough surf: there are some areas in the East and North of PR, however the west side of the island is king for that. The East and south (Caribbean) is milder.

Fajardo in the East, Luquillo, and Loiza are nice areas, all fairly close to Fajardo which has several shopping areas and they are also close to Carolina to provide more shopping.

If you want to go bar hopping or restaurant hopping there are sections along the coasts, at their Boardwalks with plenty of restaurants and bars. Above those we are mostly talking Rincon and San Juan/Santurce for active night life.

I have lived both in San Juan and Rincon and based on your desires the Rincon/Aguada area is the best for you. Great surf in Rincon, Aguadilla, & Isabel as well as great diving and snorkeling within 45 min. in either direction. Rincon currently has 42 restaurants and 28 food trucks as well as plenty of pubs and night life. Drive to La Parguera, 50 min., & you have a bioluminescent bay and a host of small islands to dive and there is great wind surfing.  This is an island so you are never too far from anything but if peace and quite and great sports is your thing come on down to Rincon; you'll love it.
Thursdays is at walk night; hang out at the beer factory or at roots; if you like sports then 413 café is for you. Te esperamos.

All good advice.  The north west coast is where we live.  If surfing is important to you check out the shore from Hatillo going west, Isabella and points west.  I think corona beer sponsors an annual surf contest in Rincon.

Check out Palmas Del Mar, on the East cost!  It's amazing!

If you want English community and isolation from PR culture, Rincon, Palmas are great. But if you want to be really part of the island, elsewhere would be best. You will get some of that even in Rincon and Palmas, but it is not the same.

Rincon & Palmas are really nice but tend to be more expensive so if you need to more stringent on how much you pay, that might be a challenge.   

Based on your comments, I would recommend seeing if you like any of these cities: Aguadilla, Aguada, Isabela, Quebradillas & Camuy.

In these areas, which all are great, you can typically get more bang for your buck. You'll still be within reasonable distance to those activities

Good luck in your search & welcome!

Rincon is a bit pricey now and not a lot of inventory but there's a lot of area close by to choose from with at least $500-700 rent

Like others have mentioned, Rincón is expensive and has a big close knit Caucasian community like Palmas Del Mar minus the gated community feel. Many transplants choose Rincón (and Palmas Del Mar) because it's a smoother transition for them seeing many people only speak english.

There is a huge surfing, artistic, health food and entrepreneurial vibe in Rincón. It's a beautiful town but definitely not an authentic Puerto Rican experience. Some people will be drawn to the town for this reason and others may be turned off by it.

Personally, I feel it is important for Boricuas to buy in places like Rincón or Palmas Del Mar. Why? Well I don't believe it's allowed to go into that on here so inbox me, if interested in knowing.