GaNaZoZa

Hello all!

My lady and I have planned to relocate to a warmer climate for years. We are just waiting for all the kiddos to be out on their own. Two down, two to go.

We have a list of places that we have been considering and in our travels have crossed off many of them. We are down to three: Roatan, Bocas Del Toro and Peurto Rico. Vieques was on the list but the locals just seem to be a bit too xenophobic.

No one place has checked enough of our boxes to stay on the list. The list includes, relatively low cost of living, relatively safe, affordable housing options, tax advantages, high degree of individual freedoms, low hurricane  risk and relatively affordable to travel to and from.

PR certainly and especially after recent events isn't low on the hurricane index like the other two spots, but the tax advantages are incredible.

So, yeah, that is why I'm here.

We decided on PR for a few reasons. 

1. Relatively inexpensive travel to the east coast.
2.  It's part of the USA - so we are citizens with rights and access to our judicial system.
3. Warm weather - hurricane risk is part of the package.
4. Family can visit easily.
5. Found a beach house.
We're happy. 😎

@sitka, thanks for your reply. How did you find the cost of the real estate in comparison to other places?

Real estate prices have gone up quite a bit recently, but still cheaper in most cases than buying an equivalent place in most US cities. It all depends on where you're buying. 500sqft in Palmas Del Mar is going to be more expensive than 2000sqft in the mountains.

Yes, location, location, location - that's what they taught me in real estate school. 

But generally speaking, I think property sells 20-50% lower here.

Since there is no MLS, you gotta spend  serious time shopping and networking with locals.   For most buyers, as has been suggested numerous times, best to rent in an area for awhile and keep shopping.

Hello, there are several tools to use to find the best places to live. One is international living besr places to retire 2019. Also numbeo. You can research and so has comparison as well
You can search from cost of living, to housing prices, climate,  health care,  crime etc
Puerto rico never makes it to the top 20 list on international living best places to retire.
Have you considered,  Mexico, Portugal, Panama,  Costa Rica  etc
The scariest things here is the lack of ambulance perosnal, med vac, and the hospitals. Nit necessary the drs. But the conditions in helathcare is more then less ti be desired
Please feel free to send me a private message

Yeah, I've done tons of research. We had visited a few of the places on our initial list and settled on Bocas Del Toro and Roatan... then I discovered the tax advantages os a US citizen living in PR and that is HUGE. That is the #1 reason it has moved to the top of the list.

Please dont be fooled by what they are saying about the tax breaks.  If you arent extremely wealthy,  it wont benefit you as much as you think.    Also every product you buy here is alot more then in the states and many countries, plus the almost 12% tax on everything you buy.
We have been living here since 2014.  All i ahve seen is everything increase alot.  As several have suggested live in an area for a couple trars before buying.  We have lived in 5 different areas since we moved to the island.
I am just waiting on my ssdi case before i move else where.  It wont be here, unless things starr getting better.  Also healthcare here is very scary.

That is really good insight. Thank you. I've been very healthy most of my life, only needing hospital care for a broken bone as a kid... and a couple little things as an adult. BUT, obviously, the older we get, the more that healthcare is important.

I like that Panama is still at the top of that list this year. Perhaps I should pivot back to making that location a priority.

I don't think healthcare is scary. It's different, definitely odd, but the doctors in PR are trained in the US for the most part. We have utilized doctors services on the island without issue and a friend of ours (Also on this forum) had to get emergency care the day after Maria and managed to get it and come out unscathed. My biggest issue with medical care on the island is that I've seen people not move out of the way of an ambulance who was clearly in an emergency situation (Was shouting at the drivers over the loudspeaker, even). Aside from that, I think the care in PR is fine.

Agree healthcare is fine.