Keeping fit in Kenya

Hello everyone,

Keeping fit during your time in Kenya is of utmost importance. How about sharing with us and your fellow expats how you keep healthy in your host country?

What are your daily health hacks in Kenya?

Do you exercise regularly? What is your go-to sport?

Do you manage to keep your diet healthy and balanced? How easy is it to maintain a balanced diet in Kenya? Are you able to find organic products easily?

Are there national or local incentives to foster a healthy lifestyle: sensitisation campaigns, sports infrastructure etc. ?

How much of your monthly budget is dedicated to keeping fit?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

DIET … I find Kenya easier to maintain good body weight as lots of beans, rice ,ugali and whole foods. Also.where I lived no cheese. Java etc at least fresh too way less processed than  in west. I did buy chocolate and ice blocks but preferred a fruit one with some.natural juice. Maandazis are nice on odd occasion like for a journey or treat. Milk fresh from cow is the best no better cup of tea but I don't risk in Nairobi and line up at supermarket. Also maize taken to posho I got used to  more flavoursome than packet version.  I did gobble several giant tins of Milo postpartum so temptations are there but my peer group are into simple traditional food  moki  mu can buy and feed baby out or me...  I cook red beans in jiko like locals thst is very filling..Bio yogurt cost but awesome and quite a few real coconut or fruit brands now. Even chips is not processed like in the west and peeled and cut whole although you have to be mindful of the oil they are using. I went through a pregnancy craving for sim sim and one street seller jn Donholm had the freshest. Yes contains sugar but I also heard the sugar processing method is not as harsh as in developed countries retaining some  nutrients.

Exercise ~walking a lot...in the rural area nicer and safer to do walks but I walk in Nairobi a lot with my partner. When I was pregnant I did the most ~kayole junction to donholm daily and sometimes just to umoja.. For jogging moving to an estate made it better a d I don't think I could go back to the other way where you cant go too early due to security but after 6 or 6.30 okay. Bit people called msungu is exercising... I suck anyway just do it for fitness and stress.
I never joined gym as.... well my partner talks me ot of it every time. Swimming is hard to find good pool YMCA good. Apparent westlands has lots in rural we go hotel pool but not the same as lap pool...
Kenyans love football and boys play everywhere.... I suck at that too.. some churches have a basketball hoop and half court but often take  up by youth...
I have exercise videos I do from the house as well.
Oh if you are overweight kenyans just tell you "you are so very fat" like of gained weight.. my large bodied friend came over from Australia and people commented esp rural area and she was out of shape and couldn't walk up a hill very well... so some Kenyans viewed her lazy but.... if you overweight Male or female you can find a partner still in Kenya. In my country people really value fit body shape yes medium slightly bigger ok but harder for much larger people to find someone. Not in all cases but just saying we value the body shape and size where as in Kenya people don't mind so much if you a good person and esp of you have some money or prospect. So my friend got .Male interest. 
Kenyans seem more critical of overweight men esp the office paunch than women... but generally wont hinder getting romance.  Many view a man should have the strong body... but maybe less in city...

In Nairobi there are plenty of gyms to choose from and some apartment complexes include a gym and small pool.  These places tend to be full of mzungu and westernised Kenyans who have bought into the idea that 'you aren't burning any calories unless you are working out'

The best swimming pool in the Nairobi area is at the Kasarani sports complex, but for many, getting there and back will be too much hassle, due to distance and traffic.

Running and walking;  I mostly walk for exercise.  I wouldn't advise going alone, or sticking to a rigid routine, unless you are walking within a secured area.  I have experienced walking alone close to where I live, in Nyeri and having someone step out of the bush and accost me, or stop me and ask for money  - so you do have to exercise some caution.  Plenty of roads in Nairobi lack pavements and in the rains there is a lot of mud.

Cycling:  motorists don't have any regard to for cyclists, so getting knocked off is a real possibility. 

Body weight:  I have not experienced Kenyans commenting on the body weight and shape of others, particularly foreigners.  In the village where my wife is from there are large and slim people - its simply isn't a talking point.  Foreign visitors are expected to be 'different' and their physical condition wouldn't be a talking point.  Revealing clothing, piercings and tattoos, or men with long hair certainly would be though. 

On the whole, in my experience, Kenyans aren't obsessed with body shape and exercise in the way that westerners are.  Men with stomachs - is a sign of wealth, and not criticised, in my experience.

I agree with the above, that if you stick to a traditional diet (Kikuyu in my case), there is minimal amount of processed food, so I tend to lose weight when I am in Kenya and feel a whole lot healthier.