Huge DROP In Cost of Living

The Google app is a very good test site for evaluating your Vietnamese pronunciation skills. It can also construct a Vietnamese phrase/sentence complete with diacritical marks (I am far from good at that right now).

Jim-Minh wrote:

one of my greatest regrets about moving to Vietnam is leaving my well-equipped kitchen behind. Most of the cookware is cast iron which would cost a fortune to ship.
I spent a huge amount of time on each piece grinding it mirror-smooth and seasoning it to perfection.

I had the same problem with my cookware: 15 of them are Le Creuset.  Gave 2 to sis-in-law when we left, the rest are in daughter's garage (neither daughter nor her husband cooks).  Too heavy to ship, too valuable to give away willy nilly.

What I understand about the device is that it works by itself and can be used with an app.  I am guessing you need the device to use the app and that it is not a stand alone app. 

What I see is that this device actually uses voice responses and not just text responses.  I have not used it, but if it works, I would prefer a device that responds verbally and not just text you have to read.

vndreamer wrote:

What I understand about the device is that it works by itself and can be used with an app.  I am guessing you need the device to use the app and that it is not a stand alone app. 

What I see is that this device actually uses voice responses and not just text responses.  I have not used it, but if it works, I would prefer a device that responds verbally and not just text you have to read.

That's exactly what Google Translate does in the 'conversation' mode.

Also, in text mode, you can always click on an audio readout of the displayed text.

Would be very grateful if some of you could answer my question, Ciambella has been the only one polite enough to do so.
Mike

michaellieptourists wrote:

Would be very grateful if some of you could answer my question, Ciambella has been the only one polite enough to do so.
Mike

The truth hurts...   ..but (we) freely admit C'bella gives the most accurate answers...      :cool:

..we know when we are inadequate...      :sosad:

I agree, why do you live where you do?
OceanBeach seems to have settled very quickly but why Da nang out of the whole of Vietnam?
Mike

I chose Da Lat because of the climate, the fresh fruits and veggies, and the proximity to hiking and camping areas. It's also just 60 miles from Phan Rang when I'm in the mood for the beach.

Mike

So now people are deemed as being impolite for not replying to your question. It's a forum, it's not the Australian voting system where you have to vote.

Mike

My Dearest Michael,

I am chagrined!

Can you find it in your heart to forgive my rudeness at blatantly ignoring you, on purpose?

I assumed you thought you were creating your own new thread.

Pardon me for thinking you were thinking.

With deepest regret,

OceanBeach92107

OB, a full report is obligatory. You are falling down on the job again (wonder where and how that saying came from, must have been a sight).

I agree, why do you live where you do?
OceanBeach seems to have settled very quickly but why Da nang out of the whole of Vietnam?
Mike

I agree too, but we are (all) unique, so how long is a piece of string..?

I would suggest that O.B. has researched (his) preferred spots as well as the rest of us, (and) I suspect is very happy in (his) chosen utopia.   As I did with mine.   After 4+ years, I cannot imagine where I would rather be.   But I would not dare suggest to anyone they copy my (poor?) (pathetic!!) example.  Why?

First, I fly solo.  Happily.   Second, my choices are MINE, not having to consider the awesome responsibility of caring about anyone else.   Yeah, how selfish is that..?   But that also allows me to live like a cockroach (if necessary?)  as I (continue to) research human behaviours and ecotourism.

..which is why I also refuse to recommend anywhere..!!   Yes, the tourist traps & stereotypes apply to the drones and minions who enjoy being in the herd.   Ignorance being bliss..?

As I keep on saying, "if you can't see the wood in the trees, stay outa (my) forest".   I'm asocial.

But then, I doubt you would want to live in my (Back of Burke's) backyard...

Stay safe.   Keep doubting   (Martyrs) was a good movie.   How strange am I..?       :unsure

I'll stay being unique, thanks...       :shy

Jim-Minh wrote:

OB, a full report is obligatory. You are falling down on the job again (wonder where and how that saying came from, must have been a sight).

I once heard (anecdotal heresay?) that the idiom originated among common physical laborers, at a time when there were no real rules about being inebriated with alcohol on the job, as long as one could stand on their own two feet. To "fall down on the job" was to pass out due to intoxication.

I've heard...

Bazza139 wrote:

.. as I (continue to) research human behaviours ..

Hard to believe when I read your more or less inexpressive incomprehensible posts.

Maybe you should have started with behavioural research on yourself first.  :)

If one were looking for a rough neighborhood of which to live this place would be ideal  ;)

Asking for suggestions about what cities consider or what part of a city is best is like asking a neighbor to borrow a cup of sugar. The old and new treads within this community have been an invaluable source of insight and research inspiration. Appreciation for those who voluntarily share experiences and nuggets of wisdom.

Hope the act of seeking insight from members doesn't become a crime against inhumanity...

workplacestars wrote:

If one were looking for a rough neighborhood of which to live this place would be ideal  ;)

Asking for suggestions about what cities consider or what part of a city is best is like asking a neighbor to borrow a cup of sugar. The old and new treads within this community have been an invaluable source of insight and research inspiration. Appreciation for those who voluntarily share experiences and nuggets of wisdom.

Hope the act of seeking insight from members doesn't become a crime against inhumanity...

Listen, Aunt Bea,

No one voted you hall monitor.

The guy crossed a line when he suggested WE were impolite when we chose not to respond to his neighborly tapping on our back door.

Take your corporate psychobabble to an empowerment seminar and allow us some measure of malfunction.

Oh, and while you are here, sweetheart, we need fresh coffee...

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
workplacestars wrote:

Listen, Aunt Bea,

The guy crossed a line when he suggested WE were impolite when we chose not to respond to his neighborly tapping on our back door.

Take your corporate psychobabble to an empowerment seminar and allow us some measure of malfunction.

OB, I admire your generous and informative contributions and sincerely hope you find the life you seek in VN.  From where I grew up in Nebraska manners and respect mean something. With some misgiving I'm no longer able to piss as far as I used to...now for that fresh cup of coffee, served eloquently of the back off of a scooter :cool: . Remember to avoid toxic food and Carpe Diem!

workplacestars wrote:

Seeking information is fine, but if you can't grasp the intended snipe at others posters, then maybe we are reading two different posts.

I posted a block of land for sale, over 200 people viewed the advert. Should I call them impolite for not taking the time to contact me.

Strange how Colinoscapee, frequently makes, as I see it, unnecessary and stupid remarks...
I asked ‘NICELY' about how people decided on there eventual destination to live.
OceanBeach seems to have been infected with the same bug.
Thank you workplacestar for your understanding.
Mike

No one except you is infected with anything. There was a baby at our table yesterday crying because she couldn't get what she wanted. Everyone understands that.

What gives you the right to DEMAND anything of anyone except some of the immature behavior I witnessed yesterday?

Please quote where I have DEMANDED anything...
You already answered that you decided on Da lat and why, so was your last post really necessary?
Mike

Strange how Colinoscapee, frequently makes, as I see it, unnecessary and stupid remarks...
I asked ‘NICELY' about how people decided on there eventual destination to live.
OceanBeach seems to have been infected with the same bug.
Thank you workplacestar for your understanding.
Mike

Alluding to other posters being impolite for not replying will certainly get you negative replies. Maybe you just dont understand what you wrote.

"Ciambella has been the only one polite enough to do so"

When I made my post about Da Lat I felt like I was being pressured but I did it anyway. And I very obviously was not the only one.

As I went through life I came to a realization. If everyone is wrong but me I need to step back and take a second look.

You are dealing with a group of fiercely independent people here. What works with the rest of the world may not play here.

Jim-Minh wrote:

You are dealing with a group of fiercely independent people here. What works with the rest of the world may not play here.

I agree, it can be too easy to forget our ego is acting on our behalf. 
We make others suffer when we give offence: or take offence.

Self-deception is the gift of ignorance.

Try to ignore the pressure to perform.

" You are dealing with a group of fiercely independent people here."

True.   Most of us took the leap of faith required to attain (our) Utopia
    so we find it easy to get miffed at (our own) mixed messages.

So there are no easy answers.  As we have just witnessed, our 'advice'
    may well not work in your piece of Heaven.   Sure, ask and you will
    receive, but your own research should be trimmed to the task.

At the end of the day, we all mean well.   Sadly?  We are all unique,
     but the difference is a necessity.   No one can be perfect.

🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🍿🍿🥜..

There is clearly a wrong way to work with this group. If there ever was an appropriate application of the term "herding cats" to a group of humans, it would be this one.

It takes communication skills to get what you want.

Yogi007 wrote:

🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🍿🍿🥜..

Git yer paws (pause; please?) offa MY popcorn...

Grrr...   ..now I'm really miffed...       :mad:     

***   Note: no ego was damaged in this post.    Yet.       :shy

🎶Kum🎶ba🎶ya🎶

😏~~~😇

workplacestars wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
workplacestars wrote:

Listen, Aunt Bea,

OB, I admire your generous and informative contributions and sincerely hope you find the life you seek in VN.  From where I grew up in Nebraska manners and respect mean something. With some misgiving I'm no longer able to piss as far as I used to...now for that fresh cup of coffee, served eloquently of the back off of a scooter :cool: . Remember to avoid toxic food and Carpe Diem!

OMG!

Are we BREAKING UP???

:sosad:

Bazza139 wrote:

"ask and you
   will receive, but
       your own research
          should be trimmed
              to the task..."

Burma Shave

😁

🐾
🎶🎵🎶when there's no one complainin,,there'll be days like this🎶
Oh my mama told me, there'll be days like this🎶

Just happened to be in Yogis head phones 🎶🤓

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
vndreamer wrote:
Andy Passenger wrote:

Really? That would be too good to be true.

Speech recognition is still a challenge today.

With today's smartphones with ultra powerful processors and lots of memory, I wonder why there isn't an equivalent app for smartphones yet.

yes, they have a smart phone app to use as well.  :)

So, we get away from the device, and use the app, and unless the app is better than Google Translate, the purchase of the device (and the use of the app) seems pointless.

Am I missing news that someone else has developed better translation capabilities than Google?

Google translate is about as good as it gets and for Vietnamese, it isn't very good. Well, not if you rally need someone to understand anything.

Andy Passenger wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

It's a device, not an app as far as I can see. It also doesn't get very good reviews.

Vndreamer said in a previous post:
"yes, they have a smart phone app to use as well.  :)"

The app I'm using is the Google Translate app for Android, enabling understandable communication with speech - also usefully having a facility to scan/photograph and translate printed text. I recckon if it can work OK with an esoteric lingo like Thai, it should do OK with Vietnamese!

After reading the many posts on Google Translate, I was curious enough to install the app today just to see what the fuss is about.  I used the app for iPhone, don't know if it's the same as the one for Android.  This is the result of my experiment:

I used Voice, English to Vietnamese and Vietnamese to English translation.  I spoke in my normal voice, which leans toward the lower register in Vietnamese and middle register in English (don't ask me why my voice changes with different languages, I didn't do it on purpose). 

Based on the printed sentences, the app understood everything I said in both languages.

The good:  Translation of American slangs is very good.  Translation of simple sentences is spot on.

The bad:  Nuances (both languages) are completely lost.  Questions in English are often translated to Vietnamese as statements.  Most sentences are awkwardly phrased in both languages.  The app cannot translate adages, proverbs, and idioms in either language, all of which may not be important in English but are heavily used in everyday Vietnamese.

The ugly:  The Vietnamese female computer voice is VERY irritating.  Her dialect means to be Northern but she's definitely not from Hanoi or any of the surrounding cities, resulting in an unnatural pronunciation.  Her accent is very annoying and the way the diacritical marks sound just bugs the heck out of me, enough that I had to uninstall the app as soon as the experiment was over.

Conclusion:  It's good enough to keep since it's a free app.  For common interaction, it probably will not steer you wrong, but I wouldn't use it for meaningful conversations.  During everyday exchange,  your Vietnamese audience may look at you strangely now and then, but as it's not your fault the sentences sound bizarre, what do you care?

robsamui wrote:

Well said.

There's different ways to go off topic and I generally prefer strolling around rather than striding forcefully ahead. . The only time it gets annoying is when an argument breaks out - but the sort of genial stroll that's happened here has been a pleasure to sit in on.

And that Android app which instantly translates speech is a real godsend and seems to be much more accurate than Google Translate which works on character recognition - I use it a lot to help me out in Thai when I need words or a sentence structure that's eluding me. Most of the time the Thai people can understand the app better than when I'm trying to say it directly myself!

Ooops. Spoke too soon.

Ciambella - Excellent review, you are in a unique position to do an evaluation and it is very important for us to know about the Viet voice portion of the app. I am still Viet language challenged enough to find it very useful. Knowing Google will continue to improve the app encourages me. I would've paid REALLY good money for this 20 years ago. And if so, my Viet language skills would be FAR better than what they are today.

While teaching my adopted Viet orphan English, I found it one sided. It was far more important to her to learn English than it was for me to learn Vietnamese.  :nothappy::idontagree:

Yogi007 wrote:

🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🍿🍿🥜..

I love Yogi007

Yogi007 for President 2020🐻🐻🐻🐻👍

I lived for 6 months in D7 in the Vietnamese worker area. Never saw any foreigners around there and I walked anywhere I wanted day or night and shocked maybe quite a few locals as anywhere I went all I heard was nước ngoài and especially when the parents with the kids pointed at me and said nước ngoài and I smiled back and waved to the kids and said xin chào first followed with hi, how are you? Was awesome to see the kids light up that a foreigner talked with them....best experience ever and glad I stayed out of places like D1 etc

My rent with water, electric, scooter security was 4,500,000D or about $190USD. I think is just common sense that anywhere Trip Advisor, or Agoda recommends staying will be adjusted for the foreigner not knowing any better. My first trip here, I purposely stayed at a 4 star Hotel in D1 Liberty Central Riverside Hotel but after 1 week when I learned what was up and how to figure things out, I found better priced alternatives and never felt my safety was in any jeopardy.

I'm thankful for websites like this that also helped me in some ways but sometimes it's about trial and error.
“You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you find
You get what you need”
You can try and find what you need here but may not always be successful so the poster who was disappointed he didn't get his question answered, move on bro!

Also, I have an iPhone and use the App called SayHi Translate
You can type or speak and it will translate. When you speak in English it will say the Vietnamese words but doesn't do that when you speak Vietnamese as it will type the words in English. Some of the words don't translate 100% but has gotten the job done for me when I needed help.....and is free

Texan71 wrote:
Yogi007 wrote:

🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🍿🍿🥜..

I love Yogi007

Yogi007 for President 2020🐻🐻🐻🐻👍

Disclaimer: we (well, some of us) don't love him (at all!)

..we're just jealous...

..of his (infinite?) ways to subvert the paramount paradigm...     :mad:

..as well as his ability to be bare(ly) bear...

We just wanna have furry fun too...      :idontagree: