Visa Help

It is making my head hurt! lol
My husband is already in China on a work visa and my two kids and I are planning to join him in the new year. My kids will go to school and i won't be working. Will i have a Q1 visa and my kids a student visa?? Will we all enter China on the Q visa and then (if needed) will they have to apply for the student visa? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sorry, meant S not Q

You need to coordinate everything with your husbands company. They will be able to help you, and unless the company is non-Chinese (which tends not to want to help), they will do everything in their power to assist you.

This is China. You do not need to do things alone. You leverage your resources, and you make friends in the process.

That is what friends and family are for. When you move to China, you will have a choice to make. You will either stay isolated and "Western" living inside your own protective bubble with other expats, or you will decide to integrate into the society. If you decide to integrate then you will establish a network of friends and an extended family of Chinese friends that would bend over backwards to assist you.

Now is the time to make that determination. Not when you arrive, but now.

If you decide to integrate, then reach out to the Chinese connections that can help you and utilize them. Don't be afraid. They don't bite and they will welcome you into their fold. Chinese friendships are the best part of China. (That and food, drinking, smoking, KTV's and dogs... but I digress.)

No one wants to separate a family. This will include your husband's company,a nd the Chinese government. They will help you. The first thing that you need to do is establish helpful native Chinese to point you in the correct direction and ask the questions for you. When they tell you "not to worry", then don't. This is China. Follow their instructions. You will be fine.

If, on the other had, your husband's company won't assist, then you and he both made a serious mistake with working for them. This is China, and to expect you to sink or swim is NOT the way things are done in China. I would say that 95% of Companies in China would help and assign someone to work with you and hold-your-hand in processing the various paperwork and documents.

Best of luck.

Thanks so much for your reply!