Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?

Typical day here in the province.  Were scheduled to leave on a van trip to Vigan to take my brother in law to the Doctors Hospital for an office visit.  We left 1 hour late, for no apparent reason, got to the doctor's office at 10:30 AM for a 10 AM appointment.  The doctor did not show up until after 11 AM, the 10 minute office visit was from 11:50 AM to noon.  We went to Mercury Drug to fill prescriptions, and 20 minutes later found out they did not have all required.  We then went to Two St Joseph's pharmacies, but they were no help.  So we went to a different Mercury Drug and got what we needed.  Got home at 2 PM to prepare for a 4 PM wedding
              We got the wedding invitation two days ago hand delivered.  The bride is somehow related to the man who married my wife's sister.  Never met the bride or groom before the wedding, but we were 2 of the 50 sponsors.  The wedding was at a residence only a 5 minute walk from our house, we arrived at 4:10 PM, and the service started one hour later.  It was a born again Christian wedding with all the trappings of a Catholic wedding except no communion.  Thought after 70 minutes it was about over when 15 people came down to the front carrying a 4 month old child.  Turns out it was the bride and groom's child, so the wedding turned into a baptism.  Great food followed, many napkins were blown away by the typical evening winds from the ocean.  They went through the usual wedding toasts and first dance while the guests ate and some took extra food, bagged it up and left.  By the time it was time for the bride to toss the flowers only the wedding party and about 10 other people were still there.  One of the bridesmaids caught the flowers and we walked home in total darkness, using cell phones as flashlights.

Hello
This is called "Pilippino time". Everything run accordingly. People will tell you "I am in the jeepney" meaning that they are about to leave the house.  Everybody does it and nobody seems to care.
regards  Bruce

Great post Mugtech, it sums up life here pretty well.  You are a good wordsmith.

In Indonesia we called it rubber time, stretchable and flexible, but it was never broken.

One of the funniest things is seeing street vendor walking around selling watches,
I'm like really? Whatever for?....

Like your reference to Chicago... my favorite band. Does anybody know what time it is.

My thoughts:

1. People know what time it is. They just ignore it.

2. Regarding parties and celebrations, people reason that since most will be late by 1 hour, they will arrive late by an hour. Food will not yet be served anyways until after most guests have arrived.

3. Doctors have to deal with traffic, travelling from one clinic / hospital to another. If your doctor's hours starts at 11:00 am and he holds clinic at another location prior to that, expect that he'll be late by an hour. If he has a third shift at 2:00 pm, expect him to arrive at 4:00 or later (perhaps staying longer by an hour to make up for the hour lost through traffic.)

4. Contradiction: Many drivers drive recklessly, weaving and cutting through traffic, risking life and limb, to arrive at their destination 5 minutes faster. Why would they do that when they're late, or are expected to be late, by an hour anyways?

FilAmericanMom :

My thoughts:

4. Contradiction: Many drivers drive recklessly, weaving and cutting through traffic, risking life and limb, to arrive at their destination 5 minutes faster. Why would they do that when they're late, or are expected to be late, by an hour anyways?

Probably because they were going to be more than one hour late, might miss some food.  Then again there is always way too much food, wind up splitting it up at the end of the night.

Yes. It's called "Philippine time". They used to blame the Lizards. Said they made Nests in the Clocks. Slowing them down, or stopping them altogether. But the advent of Digital Timepieces disproved rhat theory.

It is something you are going to have to get used to. It is 10.40am and we have not left for the doctors at 10.00am.
It's the way things are here.
regards  Bruce

Good thing the islands are all in the same time zone, or it could get confusing.