Finding your bearings in the Philippines

Hello,

While technology has definitely helped us navigate ourselves more easily in most countries, it's not the case everywhere.

How do you get to your destinations and navigate yourself in the Philippines? Do you use gps systems such as google/apple maps?

Are the gps navigational systems updated enough that they provide accurate information and directions?

Is it enough to simply follow road signs in the Philippines?

Is talking to locals and asking them directions the best way to get around? Are they generally friendly and helpful?

Are there any online resources or other types of resources to help you better understand the road systems, transportation, etc., in order to find your bearings?

What are the steps to take if you get lost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I get around by GPS online or Google maps,  or waze...

For me, mostly MRT3 and taxi.

I use the old fashion way. I use a map. If I get lost. I ask for directions.  However,at times getting lost is very surprising good.

In Mindanoa, as soon as you leave the highway the internet maps are,  will get you in trouble more that half the time.   Even the names for the Barangays are often in the wrong places,  All other locations are highly suspect. 
Local help only, bcuz they can also indicate if your vehicle is not sufficient for the condition of the road.  There is very little pavement here. 
This is a HUGE barrier to the prosperity of the farmers.

Lem

Hi Pricilla,
interesting question, in our experience, it is best to get tips form locals when it comes to exploring certain spots. Best is, from people which know you or/and share your interest.
Then when it comes to get there, people are indeed friendly to help out with advice, but sometimes asking two persons can mean getting 2 versions or options.
Roadsigns are mainly on Highways and helpful for main destinations. Off roads lead you mostly to touristic spots only via signs.
We usually use google map to check out an area we like to visit and what roads to take. Even local maps about the same area form different publishers have different and not all roads listed.
Conclusion is, it's best to use several aids to help you get to the spot you need or like to go.

Hi yes there is mostly online fasilites avilable in manila and u can find all places useing internet and mosly people is frandly and mostly can speek english.

Interesting, I will be arriving in Cebu City Oct 5th.  Will see how google maps work!  But also have local guide so should be OK as far as getting around.  Looking forward to this trip, although maybe not the heat right now as it is cold where I live!   Spent time on Guam so should be very similar.  Hoping maybe it would be a bit cooler during Oct!

I use application MAPS.ME in android phone. You can download Philippines map and you can use it in all Philippines without internet, though I think Google Map is more updated.

Thanks for the info, will also give that map a try!   getting excited, leaving in 2 days!  Hope there is no Typhoons around close by that will delay trip.  Going from Seattle to Taiwan, then on to Cebu.

Hello.  Have you any where in Cebu picked out ?  I am in Mandaue, easy access to everything but not in the hussle and bussle of Cebu City central.       regards  Bruce

Google maps works just fine in Cebu City. I use it all the time.

Hello.  There is a paper map  "Metro Cebu" that is handy.  I also found drawing your own rough map with the main roads and shopping malls good reference points for getting an idea of where you are. If you are traveling in Cebu City, jeepneys are cheap if you can fit in them, trikes on the smaller back roads ( always sit right behind he driver, more room ).  Taxis are cheaper than GRAB, but watch where they take you. They are the same as taxis in every other part of the world and will try and run the fare up. Good luck with your flight.    regards  Bruce

Agree. If you have internet, Google Map is the best!

Thanks for the replies.   Have been to Cebu twice and will be going back again in 8 days!  Rented an apt in Buena Hills, Guadalupe area, Cebu City.   Not bad, 2bdrm, upstairs, 1 bathroom.  The only thing I dont care for is no kitchen, the apt is nice though, use bbq and an induction burner to cook.   Water, power, internet, garbage and AC all included in the rent for P14000.    I could find a place with kitchen maybe later on.  This is close to school for the little one so location is ok for now.

Thanks for the advice and sorry about the slow reply!

Sounds like a decent deal. Can you 'rig' a small kitchen area together to make do? 

Google maps is decent way to get around in the city, but 'street signs' are not. Drive or ride around to learn the city for yourself, and will do alright if stay close to the main streets.

Sounds like you want to stay in Cebu? If so, might be okay. Could explore communities close up or down island to see if would work well...

After over 12 years living in the Visayas, have learned a lot, from Cebu to Dumaguete, Bacolod and Iloilo. Ask away and will try to help...