Getting master certificte

Hello Expats,

I am an international student , living in Milan. I am going to graduate in this July. I want to know how long does it take to get my certificate of master after I will graduate? as you know to renew permesso, international students should show the certificate! and also to prove to companies that we have graduated.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Ramiar

Hi and welcome to the Forum,

I would have thought that this question would be better asked of your Examining Body/Institute.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello and Thank you,

I really did ask it, but could not get a response from them.

Sincerly,

Oh dear; all I can offer is that I got presented with mine at my graduation ceremony, but that was in the UK and many years ago.

oh I see, thank you sir!

Hello Ramiar,

Usually the certificate is handed to you immediately, that is after discussion of thesis. You will get a certificate declaring the result and  title of your accomplishment. You can also go to the "segreteria" to get any other documents that certify that you have finished.

Dear Queenjay,

I will need the certificate to be with me to apply for jobs and more importantly to convert my study permesso to a job seeking one. I am not sure if I would get the certificate right on the graduation day as it is a maser. I would go to the secretariat though, tried contacting them but their link is not accessible.

Thank you,

Ramiar

Hi Ramiar

It is not required to have a certificate to be able to apply for a job. It is up to individual companies to request this just incase they need to verify. You also do not need a certificate to convert your study permesso, what you need is a job offer which guarantees you a contract. Once you graduate the certificate is handed to you immediately - in any state university, but like i said you do not need this certificate for any of the above. Please check requirements to apply for permit stay on official site for Ministry of Internal affairs.

Regards

Queenjay, thank you again
I am happy that you seem to be informative:), I believe you are right, it should depend on individual companies to verify if I have graduated. But indeed i have found out that it is almost impossible to get the certificate soon, and that it takes nearly a year to get it. What can students though do is getting a temporary certificate from the Secretariat. Regarding the permesso, I meant permesso di attesa occupazione, which is a job seeking permit and in order to get it we need to show a document that we graduated and that we are looking for a job. In my case my current study permesso would expire in December, and I want to in case have  another permesso if the current one expires and this way it gives me more time to apply for jobs. Let me share a thing though,as I never want to lose my permesso in Europe, can I not stay at home (outside Italy) apply for jobs if it even takes a year? Would i be able to maintain the permesso or I should be in Italy continuesly?
Regards

Ramiar Jamal wrote:

But indeed i have found out that it is almost impossible to get the certificate soon, and that it takes nearly a year to get it.

I do not know any country in the EU that takes a year to give out a certificate, this is not normal.

Ramiar Jamal wrote:

I am going to graduate in this July. I want to know how long does it take to get my certificate of master after I will graduate?

Have you graduated yet? I'm guessing no, but when you do, you will receive it.

Ramiar,

Italian universities issue diplomas and certificates instantly. Please give me the name of this particular university that does not issue certificates instantly. When a student graduates they are given a diploma certificate instantly. It takes a year to make the beautiful graduate themed certificate which is what people hang in their offices, but this is not relevant because you are given a copy of this certificate the day you graduate. Usually this themed certificate is sent to your home address and it has nothing to do with job hunting - police is aware of this so don't use that as an excuse
You will not be given a permesso for attesa occupazione if you have a student permit stay. There is no guarantee that after you graduate you get a job. You were granted a permesso only to study in italy not to work hence it is assumed that after your studies you go back to your original country. Once you leave Italy and your permit expires you need to reapply for a visa to be able to return ( i am assuming you are a non EU).
Be aware that there are so many Italian graduates with no jobs - most are leaving the country to find jobs elsewhere. If you do not find a job in time it will be impossible for you to hang around with the excuse of looking for a job - Italy politics is not tolerating this any more. You came as a student and you were given student permit stay, in order to be able to get work permit you need to show a contract of job offer. The laws are clear -> check the site of Ministry of Internal Affairs.

Dear Queenjay,

Can I elabote on it a bit more? What is the permesso di attesa occupazione is for then? Why is it issued? As far as I know Italy gives International non EU students a permit of stay after they graduate called attessa occupazione which is a job seeking one and is valid for a year. You are right, after I finish studies I must go back, but then what if I want to stay, should I not be given this attesa occupazione permit for a year in which I can look for a job and in case I won't find I should leave? I think you have a point with applying for the attesa permesso. So let me clarify my case, as I will graduate next week, I want to immediately apply for attesa occupazione permit, would I be able to apply right after graduation taking into account that my current permit of stay is available until end of December? Or I should wait until the current one expires? Do you think I can not apply right after? What are the conditions as far as you know of apply for permesso di attessa? I hope you excuse me of asking such questions as things are really complicated in Italy!

Kind regards,

SimCity,
I will graduate next week, but I think I will get a certificate, not the official one though, but I do not think It would be a problem as I can easily use the one I get soon from the uni secretary office. I will need the certificate to apply for jobs and convert my permesso.

With regards to the university, you are right, I asked, they indeed give the certificate, u was though referring to the one one hangs in on a wall (your terms). So fine for this.