Legal services in Puerto Rico

Hello,

Legal services can be a headache when you don't have the relevant and necessary information, especially upon moving to a new country. Please share some tips regarding legal services in Puerto Rico.

What types of legal services might an expat need in Puerto Rico?

Are legal services easily accessible?

What are the best ways to go about finding a professional for your legal needs in Puerto Rico? (e.g. online, yellow pages, word of mouth)?

What are the most affordable options for legal services (private, public, etc.)? Is there a range regarding fees?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

MAKE SURE! you get the legal service cost in writting.The attorneys here are no differant than most if the people.I had one in isabella area that tried charging me $250 for simply reading a one page document.

At the state level, there are a lot of incompetent lawyers, horrendous court administration, and biased judges. The lawyers who practice at the federal level are generally better. You can find good lawyers there. Better to ask a lawyer friend to evaluate candidates.

To clarify: A lawyer has to pass the state bar to practice at the state level. In most states, that is enough to also practice at the federal level so long as you are sworn in to a district federal court in your state. But because the quality of state lawyers in PR can be so bad, the federal district court in PR decided to require the passage of a federal bar exam in order to practice federal law in PR. This is what I did, as I was already admitted to a different state's bar and had no interest in taking the PR state bar exam.

So you can always ask the lawyer you are considering to hire if they are admitted to practice at the federal level in PR. Even if your matter is not a federal matter, this info will at least provide you with more information as to the lawyer's general competence.