Queries Related to Job in Muscat

Hi,

I got a job offer from Muscat for the position of Digital Account Manager. I have cleared the interview and basic formalities. Also, I have already got my Employment visa. Now they want me to fly down there on the given joining date.

But they havn't asked for my educational or my professional certifications as yet. I am kind of skeptical about the same. It is just once month left for joining date. Can anybody help me?

Also, shall I ask them to send me the original copy of visa?

Hi gcdeeps,

You have already got your employment visa, without furnishing your attested educational credentials ?

Did you send your GAMCA medical test reports ? Or was that waived too ?!?

And from your profile picture, it seems like you are a lady too.

All these are sounding rather too good to be true - more so on this time and age when Omanisation is given more and more thrust while jobs for expatriate women are getting to be almost non-existent.

Better do some serious research (online and offline) about the company that has offered you the job.

Make sure that you are not getting conned.

Hope you have not paid any money upfront for this job.

Dear Sumitran,

You have already got your employment visa, without furnishing your attested educational credentials ?

Yes, that is the most surprising part

Did you send your GAMCA medical test reports ? Or was that waived too ?!?
I got them done in India and sent them the copy for the same.

And from your profile picture, it seems like you are a lady too.
Yes

All these are sounding rather too good to be true - more so on this time and age when Omanisation is given more and more thrust while jobs for expatriate women are getting to be almost non-existent.
That's surprising!

Better do some serious research (online and offline) about the company that has offered you the job.
I did through Ex-Employees living in India. I have sent mail to Indian Embassy in Oman too for verification

Make sure that you are not getting conned.
Hope so!

Hope you have not paid any money upfront for this job.
Not at all.

Just one more thing, this is for an Advertising firm of Ajit Khimji group. Do you know about them?

Hi gcdeeps,

So we are talking of either Paradigm Communications or Havas Worldwide Muscat.

After you mentioned the group's name, I have disregarded all the above questions.

AGK Group as they are more commonly know is one of Oman's most trusted and oldest conglomerates.

My personal association with this group goes back a very long time.

Dear Sumitran,

It is for Havas Worldwide Muscat. What do you suggest now for my queries?

Hi gcdeeps,

Well, the operations and management of Havas Worldwide Muscat are under an entirely different (Havas) management, as you are probably aware. AGK are only the local partners.

So it is better for you to treat this offer with just as much precaution and care as you would treat an offer from any unknown or unheard of company.

Had the job offered was with the AGk Group itself, then none of these would, of course, be needed. Since it is not the case, make sure you meticulously do the much-needed hygiene checks done even before arriving.

First and foremost, was the meeting prior to your offer being made a formal, face-to-face one ? If you have been offered the job without so much as even a formal meeting, then it should raise all the red flags.

If your offer came only after a formal meeting / interview / discussion with the employer's team, then ensure that you have a formal 'Offer Letter' on their letterhead and signed by an authorised signatory. This is the document based on which you would then do your negotiations and finalisation of the offer.

Also before arriving, make sure you have a proper 'Appointment Order' which lists the entire terms and conditions of your employment, including complete details of your designation, your job description, performance evaluation processes, package, et al.

The Appointment Order must also clearly state your accommodation, transportation, leave travel details and every single information pertaining to your employment clearly listed. 

The Appointment Letter would be only a modified version of the Offer Letter, after a bit of negotiated give-and-take between you and your future employer.

In case of any concerns, later on, you will only have your Appointment Letter to fall back on. Again that document has to be on a formal company letterhead and signed by an authorised signatory, for it to be considered as valid in the court of law.

This document needs to be countersigned by you prior to your arrival, to prove that the terms of your employment contract have been discussed and agreed between you (the employee), and the company (the employer).