Just arrived in Nouméa - from Canada - here for the year! :)

Hi there!

I've just relocated to Nouméa for the year with my husband and 18 mo boy. We're originally from Toronto, Canada. I'm of Pakistani origin and lived all my life in Dubai until I relocated to Canada for university. My husband's German and French.

We're really excited to be here for the year and look forward to meeting some expats/locals to get to know the place better as well as the people :)

I'm also interested in getting to know mom's that have play dates with their toddlers - I've got a pretty social monkey on my hands who's missing his day care buddies from Toronto and would love to get to know some little ones from around here.

We're staying at Anse Vata and have access to a car and can drive over to meet OR host at our place (big enough for lots of people to crash at).

Hope to hear back from you all!
Amna, Tuisko and Mazhé

Welcome on Expat-blog Amna, Tuisko and Mazhé! :)

Hello Amna,

I have a 4 year old kid and a 2 year old daughter.
We've been living here for 4 years. My son was born in South Africa and my Daughter here. We are Franch but We have family living in the States.
I have heard of a group a mummies who meet on a regular basis and come with their kids around Anse Vata every wednesday.
I am looking for info about this playdates.
Maybe you went there alreay?

Hi Calirec,

There are quite a few families that come out at the garden next to La Promenade hotel on Anse Vata. They typically come between 4 pm and sundown every day. However, there is a dedicated English speaking playgroup that is on Wednesday's (except if it rains) and is in the park at Baie Orphelinat (sp?), next to the anchor roundabout between 4 pm and sundown. I typically go there on most weeks.

Also, what a few moms do is pair up with other moms that have children around the same age to have playdates at their houses. Maybe I'll see you at the park this Wednesday :)

Best,
Amna

Hi Anna,

My name is Paula, I am moving to Noumea in January with my Husband. We also lived in Dubai for a year and then last/this year we lived in Oman. What is Noumea like. Do you know where we can rent a nice house with garden. Also I am looking for work in childcare as I worked in the British school in Oman with young childern, I also have a degree in hotel management. Any information would be appreciated. When I get there maybe we could meet for coffee...

Many thanks Paula

Hi Paula,

What a coincidence: I grew up in Dubai :)

As for Nouméa, it's a small city where the cost of living is high. It's primarily francophone and you are able to get most of your day-to-day need items (plenty of supermarkets etc). There aren't any "malls" here (at least not at the scale of what you can get in Dubai!), however, if you know your way around, you can get most items. The city is divided into several suburbs (e.g. like Dubai, you have equivalents of the "Jumeira", "Bur Dubai" and even "Al Qusais" ;)).

There's a growing anglophone expat community here which socializes quite regularly. We've been living at a hotel for the past 9 months (Best Western La Promenade - really nice for medium-long term stays) and might look to rent a house next year. I am digging around a bit on that and as I get some information, I can pass it on. It'll obviously be important to make sure you find something in the right neighbourhood. What brings your husband to Nouméa?

There are plenty of daycares in the city, however, not all are good. We had a bit of a challenge finding a quality facility for our 2 yo boy and finally settled on A tout Bout'Chou (). They just opened a 3rd (and much bigger) location. On their website, you'd be able to find out about openings available. E-mail Claudia (she's one of the directors who's english is really good) to inquire.

Looking forward for some coffee to reminisce about Dubai :)

Best,
Amna

p.s- my email address is amna80atgmaildotcom

website for the daycare is: atoutboutchou.com

Hi Amna,

I am staying at La Promenade too!  I just got here over a week ago and I have a daughter who is 26 months old.  I'm pregnant with the next one too.  I am Canadian, from Toronto...but have been living in France for the last 6 years with my husband.  Now he got a new job here...so we are here for the next two years.  Are you still at the Promenade.  Would be great to meet you!

Hey im maya , 23 years old im in baie des citrons not very far from anse vata , feel free to contact me any time

Waiting to hear from you

Bestregards

Hi everyone,
my name is Raffi and I'm moving to Noumea this coming September. My wife will be working at the Marine research center on a sabatical.
We have 4 children but only the 2 young ones are coming with us. At this point I'm starting to research info on schools (3rd and 9th grade) for the girls.
I'm also looking for info on house rental, but if possible would like to explore the option of house-sitting if it exists.
I would appreciate any help you can offer to make our landing in New Caledonia an smooth one.

A rented house will be vry expensive , depend on the area you want:nothappy::cool:

Hello Raffif.

Welcome to Expat.com!

You are a bit off topic.

Concerning the accommodation, you can try to post an advert in the Noumea housing section. It can help.

Good luck,
Aurélie

Hi, I'm Cliff. I moved to New Caledonia 8 months ago with my wife and 2 children. 9 and 11. We currently live in Anse Vata and are looking to make new friends. If you would like to meet us please contact us.

Thanks, Cliff, Donna, Lochlan and Tara

Hi,
thanks for the mail, I love too meet you.
I will arrive on the 29.Nov in NC and than chatch up with you if I have found a place for the first days to stay and know where I am.

Thanks a lot
With regards Peter