Looking for advice on visas

I'm a US citizen who, prior to August, had never left the country in my life. About two years ago, I met a guy from Belgium online; one year ago, we started a long distance relationship; three months ago, I finally went to Belgium to stay with him for a while. It went better than I could have ever hoped for. I fell even harder for him in the months I was there. Leaving was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, and I quickly found out that I can't live without him.

This is my problem. I loved Belgium and I love him, and at this rate I don't think I'm going to survive the standard wait before I'm allowed to return without a visa.

I've been doing research into my options, but a lot of the information online has been confusing or conflicting. A cohabitation visa sounded like the most viable option, but from what I've read, we haven't been together long enough to qualify for it. Besides that, I'm not sure how to go about applying for most visas, or if you need to do so in person. I know you're allowed to stay 90 days out of every 180 as a tourist, so I left with a bit of time to spare, but I don't know how much I would need if I were to come back and apply for a visa in person before the 90-day wait was up.

I'm willing to do almost anything if it gets me back to Belgium sooner and for longer. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read through this.