Filipino Working in Male, Maldives need advice

Hi Everyone,

I would like to ask some advice and info about working in Maldives.
If I will work as a Marketing Executive in one of the company in Male, I have some concerns like:

1. Offered salary is 1300USD but i will be the one to pay for my accommodation and food, is that reasonable? I mean how much is the cost of a single room for rent and basic food?

2. I will work first time abroad, will it be safe for a solo female filipino to work in Male, and also I may be the first Filipino in that company. Given also that Male is a crowded place.

3. Is it really strict there in terms of religion, i mean i cannot bring my rosary and prayer booklet even for my personal use?

4. If ever there is a long weekend, can I easily book and fly back to Philippines say for three days and return to Maldives after holiday? is Exit clearance needed or i can just simply book and fly?

5. Usually for expat workers, does the salary have tax? will it be deducted from my salary or like middle east it is tax-free?

6. How was the internet in Male? are there some promo for internet like in the Philippines for unli data, is internet in Male cheap or expensive?

7. How are Maldivian people? How can I easily get along with them?

8. What do you suggest to bring for a newbie in that county to start a living for my work?

For now, this is all. Hope someone out there can share their experiences and give me some advices.

Thank you very much.

hi i c an help you

Hi Dillano1986,

Can you please provide useful information here? It would be great if you could answer her questions.

Thank you.

Hi,

1. USD 1300 salary is very little if you have to pay for your accommodation and food. Housing/accommodation is expensive here, unless you dont mind sharing it with some other filipinas...I would suggest you negotiate with your employer to provide you a reasonable accommodation.
2. Not a problem to bring anything with you, other than narcotics and alcohol.
3. Getting along with locals will be not so easy, as they tend to hang out with locals mostly.
4. In terms of safety/security, avoid going out late night alone....there are cases where some bikers stop and ask you "how much?"...........It is not common but it does happen here, single females at late night are harassed sometimes.
5. Exit clearance is not needed
6. There is a tax on expat workers as well, depending how much you earn. You can go to their website and check.
7.  Internet home line and mobile data packages are not cheap. There are two companies at the moment Dhiraagu and Ooredoo.

It depends what your lifestyle is and how much do you think you need to support that lifestyle. If you can manage in USD 1300 per month, which I doubt if you have to pay for your accommodation and food, then its all good....otherwise you would be working for nothing. I mean in the end if you spend all what you are earning, working as a foreign worker in Maldives, then what is the point working overseas?

Working and living in Maldives probably sounds very good but in reality if you dont have good salary you cant have a good life in Maldives.........everything is expensive here, from food to drinks and coffee and almost everything.

I am not discouraging you but just want to give you a clear picture.

Good luck