Krabi vs Hua Hin vs Surat Thani?

Does anyone have any insight on which is a better city? I feel like Hua Hin is a more retirement city, Krabi is a backpacking paradise, and Suratthani is still up and coming.
I'm looking to teach English starting November and need to start looking for jobs but would like to narrow down a place to live first.
I am in my late 20's, but not looking for a huge party scene. A few bars and some expats similar in age would suffice!

Krabi Town is an interesting small town but I didn't meet many backpackers hanging out there during my stay -- only expats, musicians and a mercenary on leave.  I didn't explore Krabi the larger area, which is probably where the backpackers roam. Hua Hin is a busier larger town with lots of diversions to offer. but with most of the beaches bought up. I've never been to Surrat Thani, but I do have family through marriage just south of that -- Nakhon Si Thammarat -- That's getting out there where a farang is more easily spotted wandering among the community, where I felt very much in the thick of real Thailand.  Hope that helps.  dcb