Family living abroad in Puerto Rico, Where to live?

Hi Cynthia,

I am looking at coming to PR, but we would not be working. From what I read on other posts and research, English speaking jobs are hard to come by  and pay significant less then US.  I suppose if you had jobs lined up already, then different story.

Some rental properties on the west of the island.
http://www.clasificadosonline.com/UDRen … -+Busqueda

We are moving our family of 5 there this fall.  We have 2, 10 year olds and a 3 year old.  Look at Palmas Del Mar in Humacao.  We visited PR last month and looked at various areas and this was the best fit for what we were looking for.  Palmas is a community of native Puerto Ricans and many Americans and Expats.  It is 300,000 acres...pools, tennis, horses, school and 20 restaurants.  It is where we chose to start our Puerto Rican adventure.  Very family friendly and a community.  We also looked at Dorado, which is very nice, but was to us, more like living on your own, and not part of a community where it is easy to meet people.  I can't speak of the other areas.  But, from what I've read...there is something for everyone, depending on what you are looking for!  Maybe we'll connect on our adventures!  (Happy to give more info on specifics if you'd like.)

Hi dakersfamily,
You are right there is something for most people. It is not for everyone.
I am fairly familiar with Palmas, I think it is a great choice, but dedicate time to become proficient in the language and get out and explore outside as much as you can after you come live permanently.

The kids will have a richer life once they become bilingual, it would open a lot of opportunities for them.

By the way, about 5 of our members live in Palmas.

I think the Fajardo area may be something you may be interested in further looking into. In response to your points made there aren't a lot of expats so you'd be able to fully immerse yourself in the culture with plenty of locals. There are beautiful beaches in Fajardo and nearby Luquillo where the water tends to be calmer which offers safe swimming and snorkeling. Christian Bilingual Academy is a good private elementary school in Fajardo. Nearby El Yunque Rain Forest has wonderful and plentiful hiking trails. Also, in Fajardo you can take the ferry to Culebra and Vieques to further explore for hiking, swimming, mountain biking and snorkeling.

Thx Dakerfamily on your input.  Your adventure sounds very similar to ours.  I'll private message for some more details.

Looking for a house by the beach in eastern side of the island. Nothing fancy. Anyone know of one for sale.

Do you know whereI can find a small house on the beach in the eastern part of the island. Nothing expensive.

Hooly wrote:

Do you know whereI can find a small house on the beach in the eastern part of the island. Nothing expensive.

Try this site https://www.clasificadosonline.com/

There is a difference between a house by the beach and a house by the sea.
There are few houses by what most people call a beach. Also beaches are public, if too close to the water then people will be in your yard and you are not allowed to put up a fence or take the people out.

If too close to the water you will not be able to get insurance, the salty air and spray will eat at anything metal, including your car, refrigerator, etc.

When there is a storm, specially in fairly flat areas, the swell from the sea can end up inside your house and may carry you vehicle also.

It is best to be within walking distance at at least 40 feet above sea level.

You also need check the neighborhood, being close to the beach could mean trash, noice and crime.

Wow, some back and fourth topics here but very informative none the less. I realize this thread is a bit older but me and my wife are really contemplating on moving to PR possibly in 2020 or 2021. The more research I do, the more confused and indecisive I get. Simple...we are sloooowly grasping Spanish. I am IT and my wife is a mental illness facility coordinator. We dont care what kind of jobs we get, just hopefully something to keep ends together. I have been looking at tons of houses that were abandoned or foreclosed for cheap, to possibly fix one back up. Just as everyone else, we are worried about being safe. We are good people and make friends easily. We just want to enjoy the second 1/2 of our life in a warmer, exciting different culture setting. We would ideally love to be on the beach with an air bnb for supplemental income. Doubt that is gonna happen but who knows. We are open pretty much to anywhere where we can feel like we fit in, make friends, work, live and enjoy life. One thing I havent run across yet is the climate on the island in the east west north or south ie: wind, rainfall etc.
I have found these forums incredibly helpful and continue to research more and more EVERY day. I appreciate ALL the input, advice and opinions I read here. Thanks..Steve Michigan. We are returning again in March 2020 to explore more of the island, in an effort to make the best informed decisions.

I only read your first paragraph and I am replying to that.  If you need to work here. That's doesntbwork out well for many people.   We are retired and I can tell you we know many people that live here all ages, and nationalities as well as education levels.  This is a place with very little work opportunities

Thanks for that info  :)

For your IT work, change jobs now, go to a company that lets you work remote.
Seems your wife has a specialty, your job location is going to depend based on her job location, that is assuming she can find a job.
While in the US mainland unemployment is 3.5%, in PR the latest number is around 6% according to the government, but likely real life is 12%.
Unless you work for a federal agency, or the tourism industry you will be required to have a good working knowledge of Spanish.
Remote work is the way to work, so you just need a good internet service.
Most places in PR are safe, people with a cierta in level of paranoia go into gated communities, but I think that is not necessary. The more people that know you the more they look out for you and your property. Don't try to impress them, they love down to earth people and low income.
As to the east coast, I live in the east coast, we usually have good breeze, a little more rain so we are rarely in a drought, lots of islands around us to explore and plenty of water activities like river pools, beaches, snorkeling, scuba, boating, forests to explore, kayaking, and many others.
You don't need to live at the beach, just live 5-10 minutes away at at least 50 feet above sea level to avoid most sea and storm related issues. Get a generator in case you loose power and have several gallows of drinking water handy at all times.

PS. I grew up in PR until almost 21, then left for the states, been back 18 months now, I know the culture, language and have a few connections and getting more everyday. Feel free to ask, that is why we are here, to advice and inform.

Thanks a million for your input and info  :)

Any information on Corozal? Like weather, crime, social, activities etc..
Me and my wife want to move to PR and are looking for an area that will suit us. We are in Michigan right now, very little Spanish, but learning.
We are returning to the island in April for another trip, to have another look at different areas.
Thank you in advance....Steve

Hey everyone. I know it's been a while since I've posted. Rey, I see you've made it! Well, we are right behind. To recap, hubby and I planned to move to PR 4 yrs ago but decided to wait until our youngest graduates as we decided against schooling there. During this time we have taken numerous trips to PR to explore, meet people and learn. So we sold the house and the youngest graduates this year. We will be heading down there by late summer. Our plan is to rent airbnb and find a house rental. We are set on the areas of Isle Verde, Dorado or Candado. Ocean Park if it's not too expensive. We can't wait for the health benefits of the warmer weather.

renwilson wrote:

Hey everyone. I know it's been a while since I've posted. Rey, I see you've made it! Well, we are right behind. To recap, hubby and I planned to move to PR 4 yrs ago but decided to wait until our youngest graduates as we decided against schooling there. During this time we have taken numerous trips to PR to explore, meet people and learn. So we sold the house and the youngest graduates this year. We will be heading down there by late summer. Our plan is to rent airbnb and find a house rental. We are set on the areas of Isle Verde, Dorado or Candado. Ocean Park if it's not too expensive. We can't wait for the health benefits of the warmer weather.

Glad you are making the jump across the puddle.
I would not recommend condado or Dorado unless you have a very strong economic backing. Your preferred lifestyle and needs should determine the location. By renting at first you can take your time to make the right decision for the future.

citylist wrote:

Any information on Corozal? Like weather, crime, social, activities etc..
Me and my wife want to move to PR and are looking for an area that will suit us. We are in Michigan right now, very little Spanish, but learning.
We are returning to the island in April for another trip, to have another look at different areas.
Thank you in advance....Steve

Corozal is in the mountains and very agricultural, expect cooler temperatures, maybe dropping around 65 during winter in the very early hours of the morning. Highs will vary but expect high 70s to low to mid 80 most of the year.

The town is poor, unemployment is high, humble people, rent and properties are inexpensive.

Thanks. Any other ideal locations then?

Mountains Orocovis in the center of the island and near by towns, also Las Maria's in the west of the island.