Retiring in Ghana

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Ghana? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Ghana (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Ghana's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Ghana?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I retired to Ghana. I have been here 7 years now. I retired here to join my Ghanaian husband.
If you are going to retire then you need to be in good health as the health care system is not the best. It is also quite expensive for medication and doctors/hospital visits.
I can't have my pension paid here but have maintained my British accounts and it is paid in the UK.
It isn't cheap to live here so you need a reasonable monthly income. We have our own house but buying property hére is a minefield. Renting isn't cheap unless you are prepared to live outside Accra and then you need transport. Driving is very tiring but OK once you get used to it and know the routes.
Not sure how you get a resident's permit if you come alone. I got one as a Ghanaian spouse and after 5 years qualified for permanent residency.
I live here because I like the lifestyle and feel it is better than it would be in the UK but I have lived abroad for over 30 years.
Think very carefully before you make the move. Come here and live for a few months to find out if it suits you and you can cope with the lifestyle. Come in the dry season as the heat can be difficult as you get older.
I love Ghana and am very happy with my life here.

Hi Priscilla,

I don't doubt for one minute that I'm atypical, but my story may be of interest all the same.
I chose Ghana because I have had a very strong affinity with Ghana ever since I worked here in 1967 - 1970. The advantages compared to my home country are more than evident: I need not here dilate on the many deficiencies of my home country, suffice it to say they have been considerably exacerbated in the last year or so.
I am not fully retired - a part-time translator if you will - and my customers are all in Germany (CET/CEST), so Ghana, on GMT, is ideal from that point of view. That and excellent internet coverage.
I can also get my hands on my paltry pensions (UK, Germany and France) here.
I'm still on tourist visas, but I'm getting closer and closer to permanent residence, which will make things a bit easier.
Healthcare is good in Ghana, the professionals I have dealt with were just that: professionals. I pay as I go, and I find it's cheaper that way than paying for health insurance I don't need. But to be fair I must say I am insured in France (thanks to my French pension) and I have had major stuff, e.g. two artificial hips, done there.
Tips for other retirees? If it's your first time in Ghana, you need to think carefully about it and in any case make visits - and I'm not talking about 2 - 3 weeks as a tourist, I'm talking about 2 - 3 months, "on the economy", as Americans living and working in Germany used to say.
There are many things to get used to and a Ghanaian partner is a good way to make a start (including by getting used to a Ghanaian partner).
The whole story would fill a book - and probably has done. I found it a great help to learn Twi, for example.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, I'm happy to talk about it at any time.
Rod Darby

I am looking forward to my Ghana visit in  hope that it will convince me even further to want to stay forever.  While preparing I am wondering  if I will meet new friends that will show me the ropes so to speak.   I want to injoy my visit but also use it as a fact finding tour.

Lol it's been interesting reading your post. You couldn't have summed it up any better.

Rita

Hello Michael,

I'm sure you'll like it very much in Ghana. I'll sugg you get in touch with somebody like Rob Darby or make friends, as he suggested and you'll be just fine. You can also let me know when you're getting ready to go and I can help find people to take you around. I'm back in America for some time.

Rita

Hi. I'm sure you will find lots of people eager to show you round but take things slowly and think very carefully before you commit to anything as there are so many scams regarding accommodation.
Hope you will be connected with other Expats who have made the move and enjoy living here

Thank You for taking the time to reply to my request.  I continue to plan and will contact you again if I need further advice, which I know I will.  I wait and plan with anticipation!!  Peace and Blessings

@Rod Darby

Hi Rod. I am Claus. Is youre offer still standing? I will arrive in Accra late january 23 and would like to pick youre brain. Thank you very much. Claus

@Rod Darby

Hi Rod. My name is Claus. Is youre offer still standing? I will arrive in Accra late january 2023. Is it possible to meet you? Thank you. Claus

This is quite an old thread and I haven't seen a post from Rod for a while. Maybe it would be better the send him a message.

Enjoy your stay in Ghana

Well.Retirring in Ghana is not a bad idea at all.

Just that you need to right people to stay with you. Surely you have to consider the health system ,Not that bad but will pay for it each time. It is not that expensive comparing it with your home country. It is lesser her in Ghana.I will be available to welcome you and take round  places.

Feel free to get in touch any time.

Well, retiring in Ghana is one of the best experiences that I have witnessed. First, I thought it was going to be hell for me, but I think it's all because of the stories I've heard about Africa. The best advice was to buy a house in Ghana. Living in Ghana has taught me that renting is much more expensive than buying a home. But most retirees prefer to live closer to the city center than further away from it. This, however, makes them spend more on utilities and noise pollution.

Hi Abdul-Razzak, where in Ghana are you residing, obviously I don't need your exact location? Thanks

I agree. We have been here 13 years now and  we bought our house when we first arrived so have not had to pay rent. More things are happening away from the centre of Accra and the road system is improving so places that once were thought to far out of town are now becoming more desirable and a good deal cheaper.

Hi, it's Jeffery, living in philipines, wanting to spend my days in Ghana but kinda scared because am elderly and sickly but oh but to get to Ghana is like high on my list ok, can someone friend me and help me here

@GARNETE I live in Accra, the capital city of Ghana.

Maybe one day they will create an Official Retirement Visa.

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to visit Ghana soon, but am over 60 and was recommended by my doctor not to take the yellow fever shot.  However, to visit Ghana it is mandatory to have this shot.  I have sent several email to the Ghanian embassy regarding this question with no reply from them. As anyone has this issue and how did you get around it. Thank you

@sarafina love   if you get a letter from your doctor of pharmacy saying youre not a good candidate for the yellow fever shot. Its not recommended for people over 60. I got the letter and I visited twice without the shot. In fact my pharmacist wouldn't give it he said the risk from the shot was more than yellow fever. What parts are you visiting?  Dm me

In September 2022 my wife (Ghanaian) and I (Dutch) emigrated from The Netherlands to Konongo, Ghana.

The main reason for us emigrating to Ghana was that we could retire early while having enough money to live a reasonable life. We had this idea of emigrating to Ghana already for a long time (some 15 years) but we first had to finish paying the mortgage on our house in The Netherlands. But when that was done, we acted according to our plan. We sold our house, quit our jobs, loaded our belongings into a container to be shipped to Ghana, and flew off to Ghana!

We live in our house in Konongo which we finished/updated during the last year (glad that that is behind us; no more noise and dust...).

One of the members of my wife's family is a lawyer practicing in Kumasi. He took care of my visa applications for me (two extensions and then a residence permit for one year based on my marriage), which went really smooth up till now. Hope it continues to go that way.

Last year we opened a Euro account at a Ghanaian bank (GCB), to which we every now and then transfer money from our bankaccount in The Netherlands. At first I was surprised that GCB charged us 2.5 % over the amounts we took off of our Euro account but by now I know this is something every bank in Ghana does (it costs Ghanaian banks money to get their hands on foreign currency like Euro's). So when we know people that are going to travel from The Netherlands to Ghana that we can trust, we ask them to take Euro's cash for us with them (it is allowed to take up to Euro 10,000.-- per person into Ghana without having to declare that amount).

The payment of my pension is said to start at the end of this month, being paid to our Dutch bankaccount, and taxed according to the Dutch Tax laws. I hope this all goes well because I heard some stories of other Dutch expats which had quite some problems with this.

I had some problems with Vodafone Ghana concerning data I bought for our WiFi. The data I bought was supposed to have run out after only one month, which couldn't be right (we checked the data use on our side, which was just a fraction of the data I had bought). I took me about 8 weeks and a lot of e-mailing and calling to straighten this out. It turned out that Vodafone had sold me data that expired after only one month, something I never asked for when I bought the data at their head office in Kumasi. Vodafone refunded me all the lost data in the end. So a tip for others: Be aware of the kind of data you buy, and always ask for a receipt that also contains the kind of data you bought.

The most negative experience this last year was a 'shake-down' by police stopping us when driving from Accra to Konongo last August, costing us half an hour and 100 Cedi. I often react very strongly to this kind of abuse of power (not smart, I know, but I just can't help it). But compared to some 8 years ago these kinds of things seem to happen way less frequently in Ghana nowadays (at that time we were stopped in our car every 20 km or so, having to pay some Cedi's over and over...).

I'm pretty positive about healthcare in Ghana. The doctors here seem to know what they are doing. The costs of healthcare and the prices of most medicines are low compared to The Netherlands. We therefore chose not to have health insurances. But sometimes one has to be a bit "persistive" when visiting a hospital to make sure things happen like they should.

What I miss most about The Netherlands are certain types of food, like for instance very old cheese and Camembert (a French type of cheese). They do have some pretty good shopping malls in Kumasi (and some other big cities) but certain types of food they just don't sell. If someone on this forum has tips on this, then please let me know.

Enough for now.

Greetings,

Robert