Looking for one-year or more rental

Hi Everyone,

I've been offered a job in Lisbon and I am considering accepting it, but my husband and I and our three, well-behaved dogs (I know everyone says that) need a long-term rental accommodation (one year minimum).  We are looking for a two bedroom ground floor apartment, duplex, or small house, with a small courtyard or outdoor space for the dogs.  Close to public transportation is a must, as we will not have a car.

We would like to rent starting either Oct 1st or Nov. 1st, 2017.

Thank you.
Valerie

Where exactly is the job?  It would be helpful to know in order to give recommendations on where to look.   That said, it will not be easy to meet all your requirements especially with public transportation.

Hi,
I have been offered a position with a university.
Valerie

And I just realized that you want to know where exactly ... Estr. Correia.

I don't mind a bit of a walk (10 min) to public transport, but as mentioned will not and do not plan to have a car.

Are you an agent?

Thank you.

Valerie

Not an agent.  I was asking location because some people say they will work in "Lisbon" when it's actually an office park out in Oeiras for example, which would not be practical by public transportation.   It looks like you'll be near metro and buses, so  you have a lot of options, geography wise, in Lisbon proper.  The issue is your requirements of ground floor, outdoor space etc. and also important qualitative factors like lifestyle and atmosphere.   I would suggest going to some real estate sites with good search options, ex. Remax, ERA, for a start with the tangible factors.

Hi,

Yes, I know a ground floor with a court yard will be a bit of a challenge, but hopefully there are rentals like that. 

Thanks for the recommendations. Do you have any agents whom you can suggest? 

Valerie

No, sorry.  Know that there is no multiple listing service in Portugal and some agencies have policies against cooperating and sharing commissions with competitors.  I've found it's best to do your own legwork and contact an agent once you find a property.  This is especially true with a rental.   It is a seller's (and Airbnb landlord's) market and it is unlikely you will find an agent who will spend time with a foreign renter who may or may not actually move here, when their payout will be a commission of a few hundred euros at best.  But good luck to you!

Hi,
I can help you to find an house close to universidade europeia. What is your monthly budget for the rental?
Best
Pedro Carvalho

Hi Pedro,

Monthly budget is 1,000-1,200.

Valerie

Perfect! I will look for 4-5 options and then send it for your evaluation. Are you planning to come here at some specific date before October?
Pedro

Hi Pedro,

Thank you.  That will be great.  We'll look forward to seeing some photos.

We will be in Lisbon on the 24th of July, staying until later in the day on the 26th.  I'm meeting with university people on the 24th, but my husband could meet with you on the 24th.

Valerie

Hi Pedro,

I thought I'd just check in to see if you are you having any luck finding anything for us? Thank you.

Valerie

Hi Valerie,

Sorry I have not answered before but I have been really busy last days.
I have found 4 potencial places that you may check. I am not an agent but I can help with the contacts/ visit/ negotiation if you need.

1. https://www.trataoproprio.com/19335_Apa … Lisboa.htm
2. idealista.pt/imovel/28312032/
3. http://gantimobiliaria.pt/imovel/t2-mob … ID=6763089
4. https://www.idealista.pt/imovel/28266359/

My first criteria was to look to an house with a courtyard for your 3 well behavior dogs but you will need to confirm if they accept pets at home.

Please tell me if you need any additional help!
Pedro

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for your help.  I cannot see the property at the first two links.  Are you able to please check those links to see if they open for you to a site with photos?

If we increase our budget to 1.300 Euros, does that bring up anything else?  The one yard is pretty small and the other is all concrete (grass or stone is better).  I know, we are picky.

Thanks so much for your help.
Valerie

Hi Valerie,
First one don´t have photos and the second is no longer available.
Let me check by night if I can find something else according your comments above (it´s not easy in city centre near metro stations but I will try to help on that!).
Pedro

Hi Pedro,

I don't mind a commute to Universidade Europeia of up to 30 minutes on public transportation, if that helps?

Thank you.

Valerie

Hi Valerie,

As promised here are some other options;

http://www2.custojusto.pt/newvi/23324376https://www.olx.pt/anuncio/lindissimo-t … 116a133bcehttps://www.olx.pt/anuncio/t2-penha-de- … 116a133bce

Do you like any of them? If so, tell me if you need some help with the contact.

Pedro

Dear Pedro,

The first one looks great.  How much money will you charge us to contact the owner and see if they take dogs and if so, if we can come and see the property on Monday the 24th (late morning)?

Obrigado,
Valerie

Hi Pedro,

I see that I can contact the owner directly, so I've gone ahead and done that.  If she doesn't speak English, I would be happy to compensate you for coming along and acting as a translator for us?  Thank you.
Valerie

Another one

https://www.imovirtual.com/anuncio/t2-c … ml#gallery[1]

Hi

Thank you, a very helpful conversation.  Beijinho, do your suggestions about the Lisboa accommodation market apply to other regions of Portugal?  If not, does anyone else have advice?

I am looking for a 3-4 month rental in a furnished apartment in the Algarve from January 2018 and then a six-month plus rental near Porto or Braga from April or May 2018.

I will also post later to the Algarve and Porto forums, but the information you've provided is here is the kind of general advice I am interested in at the moment.

Thank you

Gail

Some people rent in Lisbon or the surrounding cities, some other rent further up to 100km. Although some may think it is ridiculous to rent so far from the work but the prices are much lower, specially for houses with a backyard for dogs to play or for you to relax on weekends. If you plan to rent in Caldas da Rainha 80km up north - you have several buses everyday, inc weekends, that takes 1 hour to get to Lisbon for an affordable price - where you find a country house with garden, backyard, quietness and peacefulness for a good price, I will be pleased to help you finding it.
Best Luck

Gailpat, your timing is good in Algarve because it is the low season, and the short lease term would be mutually beneficial to both you and the landlord.  However, if you are looking to eventually settle somewhere else (Porto, Braga, etc) you may find that landlords require long term leases (1 year with renewals, or conversely multi year leases with early cancel provisions).   You can try to rent airbnbs for several months, but you will likely be paying more than market rate.